Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

How to check oil - OMG

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  internalaudit 
#1 ·
I'll go right to the question.

09 V6.

When I check the oil:

- Right after I turn the engine off. Within 1-2 mins. The oil dip stick is at almost 1/2 mark

- Wait about 5-10 mins. The oil dip stick is at 80% full.

- Wait 3 hrs, the oil dip stick is at 100% full.

I'm asking this because of the ever present oil consumption issues we all read and heard. When the engine was OEM new, it drank oil. Then it sort of stopped. Add less than 1/2 qt per oil change interval.

Now the car has 65K miles, I suspect I may or may not have an oil consumption issue again.

Any of you guys notice this? What should be my constant when I check my oil?

#2 ·
I check it when the engine is cold. When the engine is warm, oil is still dispersed all over and you'll get an inaccurate reading, such as what you described. Try it in the morning for a few days.
My 09 V6 has never consumed oil thank heaven, and it's got 96k miles.

#3 ·
You're supposed to wait a few minutes after shutting the engine off to check it.

The exact level doesn't matter so much as long as it's not near or below the low dot.

#5 ·
I tried this on my 02 Civic which have some oil consumption issue and couldn't make out the mark. Must be cheap oil the mechanic is using. Either it's too yellowish to see or I'm going blind.

On our 11 Accord, I never bothered as even at 8k miles, I don't see the low oil indicator flashing and because we all now have a 8 year 125k miles extended warranty on the engine, lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.