Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Paint issues with 2009 Accord

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  daflo 
#1 ·
Hi Guys...have a 2009 Accord EX-L Crystal Black Pearl and had it detailed about a month ago. When I looked at it the next day I noticed numerous "spiderweb like" cracks on the hood. A few days later I noticed them on the trunk and roof. Took it back and they said it wasn't their problem, it was a paint issue with Honda. Noticed that Honda extended the warranty on the Civics for the exact same problem so called Honda Canada and they had me go to the dealer and get pics taken and an estimate...$4000 to repaint and Honda offered to pay $750 towards it! Anyone else have this problem?

#2 ·
"Spiderweblike" cracks can be from bad detailing or a bad paint job, not bad paint.....

Paint "cancer"- whereby the clear coat fades, is a very common issue on dark-colored Accords.

I am guessing that you are not the original owner.

#3 ·
Thanks for your reply...yes I'm the original owner. As for "bad detailing" when I took it back they "stripped" everything (I assume the polish) and done it again and it was just as bad...that's when they called in some one from Dupont who inspected it and said it was a paint issue (I still think they F..'D up somehow because I had never noticed any problems before). Then I got Honda Canada involved and 3 different Servive Managers at 3 different dealerships all said the same thing " I've never seen paint "cracking" like that on an Accord before!" I told them the $750 offer was BS considering I can only get it by getting the car r e-painted through Honda ($4000)

#5 ·
He is talking about crows feet, it's extremely common so if the dealership says they've never seen it on an accord they're lying. I have it on my 09 accord also had it on my 98 civic. It's been around forever and everyone knows honda has horrible paint.

My accord is cbp also and the crows feet happened when I waxed the car shortly after buying it, I read that a lot of times detailing will cause them to come through for some reason especially if the paint had been neglected for a long period of time. So I am in the same boat, I'm getting my whole front end repainted after the holidays.

#6 ·
That's it "crows feet" . When I asked why they would extend the warranty on the Civics to 7 years and not the Accords (same Crystal Black, same problems) they said it was because they were painted in different factory's and the Civics were a known issue but the Accords were fine! Bottom line is that I'm not going to pay $4000 for a paint job (minus their $750 offer)

#7 ·
Wow I never knew that this was a problem untill this thread. I have a 2009 Crystal Black Pearl Sedan and I noticed this on my hood recently! Coincidentally, I had just also used WetPaintGlaze on the hood the same day I noticed it, and I thought that it was residue from the WPG. Definitely update us if you resolve the problem! I have those small crow feets everywhere on the hood.

#8 ·
That's exactly what happened to mine...I thought it was just residue or poor polish whatever but when I took it back in complaining about it they got someone from Dupont Canada to inspect it and I've been "fighting" with Honda since! So far they won't do anything but pay $750 towards a $4000 paint job (only if it's done through the stealership)

#12 ·
Yes the whole car....first noticed it on my hood, then a few days later the roof and trunk. Then the doors, fenders etc. And they made sure to tell me that the $4000 estimate was only that...an estimate so you can be sure they'll charge me closer to $5000 to recover the lousy $750 they're offering. Needless to say, I won't be getting my car painted thru them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.