VTC Actuator being replaced on Friday.... - Drive Accord Honda Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 04-11-2016, 06:20 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Garage
VTC Actuator being replaced on Friday....

What is the procedure? Have any of you had it done on your Accord? I called my dealer and they have 1 in stock (the updated part) and I am scheduled to have it replaced this Friday. Is it a pretty fool proof procedure and replacement or is serious damage possible / likely?

Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 04-12-2016, 06:07 AM
5th Gear

After not having used our Accord for a few days and left out in the cold (still is in Toronto), I did notice for a second time a funny sound lasting about a second but not sounding like a grind.

Hopefully it isn't the VTC actuator.

How did you find out you needed yours replaced? Sorry I can't help you on your questions as I don't think mine has been sounding that bad upon start up but I'm going to observe it a few more time and may record the sound, just in case it's hard to replicate at the dealership.

post #3 of 37 Old 04-12-2016, 06:31 AM
resident liquid wrapper

Garage
If the tech has done it before it shouldn't be too hard. But someone who doesn't know what they're doing shouldn't mess with it. Just like everything else on a car, basically. If you don't install it correctly it can cause damage.

Selene, 1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan, 2.3L ULEV-VTEC, 134K, liquid wrapped jet black
Harlock, 1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe, 3.8L V6, 120K, sebring silver
Dana, 2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan, 2.2 L, 134K, sandrift metallic
The Following User Says Thank You to enne For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (04-12-2016)

post #4 of 37 Old 04-12-2016, 02:09 PM
3rd Gear

I have been eager to read experiences with the updated VTC actuator...mine is still noisy as ever (94k miles and hasn't failed). I forgot to ask my Honda case manager about this...several years ago I had left my car at the dealership for the grind, but they couldn't replicate the noise. A tech had told me that since it had been documented, Honda would likely help out in the event of failure - catastrophic or otherwise. I told myself I'd just ignore it until an updated part was available. Greg, I look forward to your update (hopefully this weekend). I'm sure it'll go well.
Cheers,
Jordan

2012 Honda Accord EX 2.4L 5MT (Crystal Black Pearl / Ivory)
post #5 of 37 Old 04-12-2016, 03:06 PM
6th Gear

i literally just picked my car up from the dealer. they replaced my pistons, new VTC actuator, timing chain and few other parts. engine feels very tight/smooth. hope 3rd time is the charm with the VTC

Tuned/Flush/Static 8th Gen Coupe (**Tuned by KTuner**)
The Following User Says Thank You to mikeybrasileno For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (04-12-2016)
post #6 of 37 Old 04-12-2016, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeybrasileno View Post
i literally just picked my car up from the dealer. they replaced my pistons, new VTC actuator, timing chain and few other parts. engine feels very tight/smooth. hope 3rd time is the charm with the VTC

That is good to hear! Was the work done in one day? Also, what year is your car and why were the pistons replaced?
post #7 of 37 Old 04-13-2016, 02:40 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24 View Post
That is good to hear! Was the work done in one day? Also, what year is your car and why were the pistons replaced?
na took about a week to get my car back. pistons were replaced due to high oil consumption. 08 K24

internalaudit (04-13-2016)
post #8 of 37 Old 04-13-2016, 08:26 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Has it always been a few seconds of grinding noise during cold start up?

I'm hearing a different kind of noise, so much shorter, only when the car has not been run for more than a few days.
post #9 of 37 Old 04-14-2016, 05:21 PM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by internalaudit View Post
Has it always been a few seconds of grinding noise during cold start up?

I'm hearing a different kind of noise, so much shorter, only when the car has not been run for more than a few days.
when its cold/not started for a while yes, if you hear a rattle/grinding its the vtc actuator

internalaudit (04-14-2016)
post #10 of 37 Old 04-14-2016, 09:07 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
when its cold/not started for a while yes, if you hear a rattle/grinding its the vtc actuator
Is there a manifestation / symptom outside of start up?
post #11 of 37 Old 04-15-2016, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Garage
Well I got the Accord back around 10 today with new VTC actuator installed! Engine is running well but the car hasnt sat long enough to tell if the new part is working just yet (start up without grind). It was covered under the powertrain warranty. I will upload the work order showing what parts were replaced when I get the work order. They are having to mail it too me since it wasn't ready when I picked up the car. Hopefully will have it some time next week. It would be sweet if they replaced the chain and tensioner in addition to the actuator.
The Following User Says Thank You to greg24 For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (04-15-2016)
post #12 of 37 Old 04-15-2016, 09:53 PM
5th Gear

I listened to about four to five short youtube videos that included samples of the grind and maybe it does manifest itself in our 11 Accord. Normally, when backing out of the garage, we put the ignition position to 2 so we can put the car in Neutral and have it roll down and out.

The last two instances when I may have heard the sound was when the car was parked on the driveway for several days and with me turning the ignition entirely to start the car.

Here on the forums, and elsewhere, people had suggested doing this trick. Perhaps my moving the ignition position to 2 was equivalent to this long way of performing the workaround:

turn the key but don't start the car, wait a few seconds, turn it back off, then turn key the whole way to start the car. This seems to remedy the situation, might be a reasonable solution since this apparently only happens in fairly cold weather.
post #13 of 37 Old 04-15-2016, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by internalaudit View Post
I listened to about four to five short youtube videos that included samples of the grind and maybe it does manifest itself in our 11 Accord. Normally, when backing out of the garage, we put the ignition position to 2 so we can put the car in Neutral and have it roll down and out.

The last two instances when I may have heard the sound was when the car was parked on the driveway for several days and with me turning the ignition entirely to start the car.

Here on the forums, and elsewhere, people had suggested doing this trick. Perhaps my moving the ignition position to 2 was equivalent to this long way of performing the workaround:

turn the key but don't start the car, wait a few seconds, turn it back off, then turn key the whole way to start the car. This seems to remedy the situation, might be a reasonable solution since this apparently only happens in fairly cold weather.
Most people seem to experience the issue in colder temperatures, but mine was present in cold and warm temps. Even with the "key trick" (turning to the on position, then off, then start car) it would still make the grind about 40% of the time. Sure, it wasn't as loud during the warmer months, but it was still there. So some cases seem to be worse than others, I think many owners don't even notice it. I have two other co-workers with 8th gen Accord's, one with a 2012 and the other a 2011. I have listened to them start their cars on a couple occasions, sure enough the 2012 made the grind but the 2011 never seems to. Seems to be hit or miss, but mine was grinding on start up much more frequently. I have been in contact with a Honda employee who has been following this issue for a while, so he kept me in the loop in regards to when the fix was coming out. I waited until April to call my dealership since the fix was supposed to be released sometime in May, sure enough Honda had supplied them with one unit so they reserved it for me. If you are experiencing this issue call your dealer and see if they have any in stock. From my understanding Honda made enough units to supply each dealer with a small amount, more will be coming but as of right now the supplies are limited. I can't even find the updated TSB online anywhere...so I am not even sure if Honda is advertising that the updated part is available. I am sure if they did they would have a boatload of people showing up for the fix as this issue has been around for years without a resolution. Heck, my dealer didn't even know the updated part was out, I had to inform the manager.

2012 Honda Accord EX-L "Jazmine"
44K miles
PPPP 0w20 / Fram Ultra
The Following User Says Thank You to greg24 For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (04-15-2016)
post #14 of 37 Old 04-15-2016, 10:48 PM
5th Gear

Yeah the grind barely lasts two seconds and is not so obvious. The sound I hear is kinda different but I've only heard it twice and the sound I hear seem to come from the driver side of the engine bay. Not sure if that matters.

I have extended warranty until really late 2018 but will bring the car in if I hear it more often once I take care of some personal errands.

What issues can this lead to if left unattended? My 2002 Civic is so low tech I haven't heard the grind at all all these 13 years.
post #15 of 37 Old 04-15-2016, 10:51 PM
Put that cookie down! NOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg24 View Post
From my understanding Honda made enough units to supply each dealer with a small amount, more will be coming but as of right now the supplies are limited. I can't even find the updated TSB online anywhere...so I am not even sure if Honda is advertising that the updated part is available..
Sadly since this is just a TSB , not a recall unlike the airbags. The word will not spread like wildfire. I, myself works at a Honda Parts Department and I've been checking it monthly eversince they did the "stop fix" on the first VTC Actuator replacements with R44 part numbers. It was only a month ago I found out that Honda released the updated part with "R5A" part number on it.

SB: 09-010

2010 ACCORD EXL-V6 Sedan (Ricer Car)
2005 ACCORD EXL-V6 Sedan (Stock Car) (R.I.P 2016)
The Following User Says Thank You to slickj35z For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (04-16-2016)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.