HOW I CURED MY 2010 ACCORD LXP from using oil - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 28Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old 03-16-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Red face HOW I CURED MY 2010 ACCORD LXP from using oil

To me it was as unHonda like as can be. at 78000 miles my Accord started using a quart every 1000 miles.
I thought it has to be a plugged egr - pvc - emission tube - torn vacuum line.
Then I read about all these other poor slobs getting their 2.4 Accord motors getting rebuild by Honda that used
a quart every 600 miles. I spoke to the Honda Dealer, a quart every 1000 is not covered by extended warrenty..Plus. They would need the car 3 days to test etc etc.
I am not a quitter. I came to the conclusion after hours online, that the piston rings get cruded up and stop spinning.
since I would use a quart 1000-1200 miles , i figured i have one stuck oil ring. Not to be confused with the compression rings. The bigger oil burners have 2 pistons with stuck oil rings.
How to cure ?
Pathetically Simple and cheap.
I pulled the plugs, put a shot glass of marvel Mystery Oil in each Cly. let sit for 18 hours ( most guys on the web suggest 2-3 days). Then I watched it. the oil didnt seem to move on the stick for 600 miles. I changed the oil, this time
leaving out a pint of oil and putting Marvel in with the Valvoline 100% Synthetic ( always used Mobil One until now ).
I am thrilled to report after 700 miles , the oil is top of the full mark. I keep thinking all these engine rebuilds were needlessly done wihen
it is just a stuck ring or two.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdanville For This Useful Post:
internalaudit (03-20-2017), needforaccord (03-17-2017)
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 03-16-2017, 02:24 PM
又一位第八代雅阁双门车主

Garage
Well, even Japanese cars can have quirks like this. My Corolla also burns a lot of oil, and no, it's not from the old age. Corollas and Camrys from that time period all had design flaws and their oil rings would get stuck. Might try putting Seafoam in my Corolla then.

And with MM oil, Seafoam and the like, I don't think you should count on them to fix everything. It should just be treated as "This might work" solution, not as a proper fix. It's a bit of hit or miss with these products. They can do great things, but that's no guarantee they will fix anything.

post #3 of 51 Old 03-16-2017, 04:05 PM
5th Gear

I just put in a bottle of MMO in my oil today on advice of my mechanic, to help clean up my rings, etc.

2004 4cyl. EX Sedan automatic, 487K.

post #4 of 51 Old 03-16-2017, 04:57 PM
1st Gear

I did the same thing in my son's 99 I4 Camry that was using oil and it has definitely improved oil consumption.
UnknownJinX likes this.

2010 Accord LX I4
The Following User Says Thank You to 97trophy For This Useful Post:
KW2004Accord (03-16-2017)
post #5 of 51 Old 03-17-2017, 12:32 AM
又一位第八代雅阁双门车主

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97trophy View Post
I did the same thing in my son's 99 I4 Camry that was using oil and it has definitely improved oil consumption.
That's great info! I have a Corolla of the same year which also burns oil. Might be worth a shot then.

Wonder if Seafoam will do the same thing. MMO is actually quite rare in Canada, while Seafoam can be purchased easily at the local Canadian Tires.
post #6 of 51 Old 03-17-2017, 02:35 AM
Out of Control

You went old-school! Good for you. Glad it worked. You're lucky you have an I4. That technique does not work as well on a V6, and forget about an H4 or H6. Best of luck.
Miker likes this.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #7 of 51 Old 03-17-2017, 06:23 AM
Elvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
You went old-school! Good for you. Glad it worked. You're lucky you have an I4. That technique does not work as well on a V6, and forget about an H4 or H6. Best of luck.
Kerosene trick renewed ! Sometimes the "old school" method solves many problems.
Baldeagle likes this.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous

Please help improve the DA search function add tags to your/others posts and threads. Anyone can add tags to any thread. TIA
post #8 of 51 Old 03-17-2017, 07:48 AM
Out of Control

Same thing can be done using sea foam. The problem is oil gunk clogging the oil return holes behind the oil control rings on the pistons' head. Soaking it with cleaning fluid loosen and clean up that hard oil gunk. Now oil returns back in, no more oil burning. You have to crank the engine with the plugs out to evacuate that fluid before putting everything back together.
Baldeagle and CGumina like this.

07 V6 AUTO Sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to t-rd For This Useful Post:
needforaccord (03-17-2017)
post #9 of 51 Old 03-17-2017, 08:06 AM
Texas Ground Pounder

Garage
Good to hear. I've got an 08' Chrysler Aspen that's using a quart every 600-800 miles. As usual, Chrysler techs say this is normal. I disagree. I suspect it to be rings as well. Might have to give this a shot.

2003 Accord EX Sedan V6 Auto NAVI (Noble Green Pearl)
Mods:Fog Lights-front & rear TL sway bar-V6 MT shock tower bar-AEM V2-Magnaflow cat-back-Window & Moon visors-Kaminari Lip Kit-Bug Shield-CUSCO Type II TSX Lower brace-Enkei EV5 wheels-Trans Cooler
Audio/Video:audio under construction-KP window up, one touch moonroof, mirror tilt-Dice iPod-Rear Camera-TVandNav2go Video
Wish List:Air Ride-Charger
post #10 of 51 Old 03-17-2017, 08:46 AM
Part Hoarder Extrodinaire

I went through this same damned thing with my wife's '01 Toyota Celica when we first started dating- the 1ZZ-FE motors are infamous for having stuck rings.

Removed the plugs, poured in Seafoam, let sit for a full day, cranked everything over with the plugs removed to remove the seafoam, put the plugs back in it, ran it around the block HARD a few times with the old plugs and oil, then gave it an oil change and fresh plugs.

Went from using a quart a week to less than a quart between 3,500 mile oil changes.
Miker likes this.

CM7 Accord EX-L | BB6 Prelude | E36 ///M3 | VA WRX Limited
post #11 of 51 Old 03-17-2017, 08:53 AM
6th Gear

Old skool is Bon Ami... poor it down the throat while engine runs. Takes a whole can. Part of GM tech of the 50s. Ha! 😆 was given that info from an old mechanic back in the 80s. They dont make Bon Ami like they use to, so it probably wont do good for any engine.

If you want fast results MEK will break through build up poor 1/4 cup into each cylinder and wait 4 hrs. Then crank with the plugs out for a wee bit. Reinstall the plugs and your rings shoould be free to spin.
post #12 of 51 Old 03-17-2017, 09:16 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamity Coyote View Post
Good to hear. I've got an 08' Chrysler Aspen that's using a quart every 600-800 miles. As usual, Chrysler techs say this is normal. I disagree. I suspect it to be rings as well. Might have to give this a shot.
The only problem with a V6 or V8 is that the cylinders aren't straight up and down so it's a bit tougher to do the same cylinder soaking. Don't know if your Chrysler has a V engine or not but I figured I'd throw it out there.

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.
post #13 of 51 Old 03-17-2017, 10:48 AM
Yea I modded my car again

I started using Zmax engine formula on my v6 6 speed cause it would burn a quart of oil every 5000KMS

now the car only burns about 200ml

oil consumption is down by 80% !

08 EX-L V6/6
Performance : Ktuner, Fastline ss clutch line, Fastline powerlinks, P2R thermal gaskets, EBC green stuff, XLR8 ss brake lines, Progress 22mm rsb, HSD coilovers, Blox 15mm rear spacers,
Power : RV6 hfpc, XLR8 V2 j-pipe, Injen cai, Unorthodox stock sized pulley, Magnaflow cbe, tl sh awd tb, j37 manifold
post #14 of 51 Old 03-17-2017, 01:03 PM
Out of Control

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08 v6/6 View Post
I started using Zmax engine formula on my v6 6 speed cause it would burn a quart of oil every 5000KMS

now the car only burns about 200ml

oil consumption is down by 80% !
Had never heard of zMax so I looked it up. Here's what they say on their web site:

Quote:
Originally Posted by From zMax Web Site
zMAX does not replace your regular oil, and using zMAX will not overfill your normal oil level because it soaks into metal.
Really?
post #15 of 51 Old 03-17-2017, 01:22 PM
Elvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
The only problem with a V6 or V8 is that the cylinders aren't straight up and down so it's a bit tougher to do the same cylinder soaking. Don't know if your Chrysler has a V engine or not but I figured I'd throw it out there.
60° V6 would only require you to jack up to compensate for the 60° angle. Maybe a ramp would do it for you. 90° v6 or v8 gonna be a little more troublesome.

Or overfill the cylinder to compensate for the angle. Not as complete coverage for the entire circumference of the cylinder, as in a straight up and down vertical 4 cylinder, but it will soak MOST of the ring.

Of course the "extreme volume of kerosene (or MMO Mystery Marvel Oil (EDIT: Marvel Mystery Oil)) " would cause you to really make sure you drain the engine oil following this operation.

KW2004Accord likes this.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous

Please help improve the DA search function add tags to your/others posts and threads. Anyone can add tags to any thread. TIA
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.