Got in a car crash - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 04-18-2017, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Exclamation Got in a car crash

Hey everyone! This is my first time posting on the forums so I'm not quite sure what thread to put this in, but this past weekend I just got in to a car accident with my 2009 Accord Coupe, and the damage looks pretty bad, fortunately we're all okay, but this is my first car and I fell in love with it extremely quickly, I got a great deal on it because the whole body only had about 94000 miles on it but the engine had been replaced and only had 16000 miles on it, so I was extremely excited about that. I've only had the car for maybe a month and a half, and now I'm just absolutely devastated. I'm attaching a picture of the damage of the car after the wreck, I looked briefly and there appeared to be no interior damage, apart from inside of the trunk where it looks like it may have been warped from the impact, and the trunk is difficult to open now. Unfortunately the accident took place out of state while I was on a vacation visiting my sister, so it is going to cost quite a lot of money to get the car back down here to get looked at by my mechanic that I trust. I'm not very knowledgeable about this car quite yet, so if someone could please give their insight on if they believe this damage is worth fixing or not, I would greatly appreciate it. I'm not aware if the frame has been damaged at all, and if it's possible anyone can tell whether or not it's damaged from looking at this picture that would be a great help, I'm supposed to be hearing from my insurance company on what they think about the damage on the car within this week, but I want to branch out to the 8th gen community to see what all of you think because I'm 100% certain I can get a better opinion on this from fellow drivers of the 8th gen rather than some insurance person who doesn't care about me or the car. So I would greatly appreciate any input that any of you can give. Thank you in advanced.

Attached Images

Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 04-18-2017, 09:08 AM
2006 Accord EX

Sorry to hear about your crash.
Luckily, you walked away and that's the good news.
Unfortunately, no one is going to be able to tell by pics alone what the extent of the damage is, so yeah, you'll have to get estimates done by a body shop...it's just part of the process.
It's a PITA, but it's to protect you financially, also. If the body shop totals the car, then it's probably for the better.

As a former insurance producer, I can assure most insurance companies want to retain you as a client, so they'll work with you regarding whomever you decide to choose for your body shop...as long as that shop comes back as a "reasonable estimate"(within industry standards, for that vehicle, that is.)

Obviously, the biggest concern is that rear quarter area, not the bumper, and that's why you need an expert to look at it.
Good luck.

enne and Merc6 like this.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2Accordz For This Useful Post:
ConexV7 (04-18-2017), internalaudit (04-19-2017), Merc6 (04-20-2017), Scott C. (04-26-2017)
post #3 of 24 Old 04-18-2017, 09:14 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I figured no one would be able to tell just by looking, but I thought I'd give it a shot anyway, doesn't hurt anything.
And fortunately, my mechanic also has a body shop on site, so that'll make things a little easier.
And yes, that rear quarter area is all I'm worried about, that bumper can be put back on, it just got knocked off, the impact was right in the wheel well.
Thank you so much for your input, I really appreciate it, I'm just looking for any slight chance of good news at this point.
2Accordz likes this.

post #4 of 24 Old 04-18-2017, 09:21 AM
2006 Accord EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConexV7 View Post
Thank you so much for your input, I really appreciate it, I'm just looking for any slight chance of good news at this point.
Ahhh..you must have missed that part of my post...you walked away, alive...
The gods were smiling upon you that day.
post #5 of 24 Old 04-18-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Haha, yes I am very thankful no one was hurt, and that's what everyone has been telling me so far, it's just metal, it can be fixed or replaced with time, and it may be expensive, but that's a lot better than the alternative of being crippled or even killed due to the crash.
post #6 of 24 Old 04-18-2017, 10:39 AM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
Who's at fault? Got full coverage? Will the other guy's insurance pay?

My brother was in a similar wreck. Whole cost of the job was 3500 plus parts. He's buying the quarter panel for $300 and we're putting it together ourselves. Insurance paid for it and he already bought an 8th gen sedan.

The fix won't be cheap for you.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 168k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #7 of 24 Old 04-18-2017, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Unfortunately I was the one at fault, I was in an unfamiliar area and there was a tree obstructing a stop sign and I didn't see it, so I ended up running it and then I was hit. And yes I do have full coverage on the car. But if the cost was only 3500 for your brother, I assume it will be around the same price for me, and if it's only going to be around that much, I can live with that, the car is worth a lot more than what I got it for due to the engine being almost brand new. What I'm going to end up doing if the cost is too much, I'm going to take the insurance money and then buy the car back from the insurance company and sell the motor and transmission and everything for money towards another accord. Because the only damage to the car as far as I can tell right now, is just that wheel and then of course the cosmetic stuff. The car still cranked like a champ after the accident, and I don't even think there's even any damage to the exhaust system. So I could more than likely sell the car to my mechanic so he can strip it for parts, and I still have another car I can drive this summer because I have an extremely decent job lined up for this summer, so at the end of the summer I can possibly see about getting another car, if it comes to all of that of course.
post #8 of 24 Old 04-18-2017, 11:09 AM

An engine swap doesn't increase the value of the car. If anything it's worth less because of that.

2007 EX-L 4DR
post #9 of 24 Old 04-18-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I'm aware of that, I'm just talking about the practicality of it and why that was worth so much to me for the amount I paid for it, which is why I'm willing to pay more money to have it fixed
post #10 of 24 Old 04-18-2017, 11:22 AM
4th Gear

I was recently rear-ended on the parkway on my way home from work a few weeks back.. the car had what looked to me as minor (cosmetic only) damage to the rear bumper cover, trunk lid had a big dent in it that looked like someone had kicked it and there were scuffs and scratches everywhere. No broken lights or structural damage, the bumper absorber was still in tact and didn't even need replacement. Fortunately for me it was not my fault and the other driver's insurance covered the damage completely. I saw the repair bill from State Farm which showed the total cost of the damage as $2500+!!

I notice you have full coverage, and as much as it sucks to have to pay the deductible, it sure beats having to cough up the cost of the repair even if your premiums do go up slightly in the future.. IMO it would be worth it...

Unless there is some major structural damage to the car (which from the looks of it could be a possibility) I'm sure it will be salvageable and back like new in no-time..

Good luck, hope it works out for you.. and more importantly, glad nobody was hurt!
post #11 of 24 Old 04-18-2017, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thank you very much, yeah my repair cost is probably going to be quite high, but I'm willing to pay what I have to if the car can be restored completely again.
post #12 of 24 Old 04-18-2017, 01:37 PM
2006 Accord EX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConexV7 View Post
U What I'm going to end up doing if the cost is too much, I'm going to take the insurance money and then buy the car back from the insurance company and sell the motor and transmission and everything for money towards another accord.
As you don't know the status yet, be careful with this assumption...
What you may not know is that once an insurance company "totals" the car(total cost to repair exceeds the book value) if you then decide to buy it back, they'll add to the buyback cost, whatever they assume they could have sold the car to a wholesaler for....because that cost is figured into their cost when they give you the total number.

It's way too early to tell, but in many instances the numbers won't add up to you doing well, in the end.

2006 Accord EX Coupe...157k and counting..
post #13 of 24 Old 04-18-2017, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

It really just seems like no matter what happens here I'm gonna be screwed for a bit
post #14 of 24 Old 04-18-2017, 01:56 PM
4th Gear

lol not a muscle car..matching numbers mean nothing

2007 Accord Sedan i4 Alabaster Silver

AMR coil overs / Swift Springs 12k/8k
Weds Sport Tc105n 17x8 +42 square / PSS 225/45
TruHart front upper CA's / UR tower bar
Hardrace rear lateral links /rear upper CA's
PowerGrid adjustable low profile endlinks
DBA T2 slotted front rotors, 6-6 calipers
ShadowSpeed ABS trunk lip / 6000k HID lows
post #15 of 24 Old 04-18-2017, 02:03 PM
4th Gear

Far from an expert. The rear right wheel seems to be at an odd angle now, likely there are substantial damages to suspension parts. I think it's totaled, not worth the cost to bring it back to service.

2007 Accord EX-L V6 @147K
2016 Audi Q5 3.0T Premium Plus w/Tech Pkg @8K
Previously:
2005 Honda Accord Hybrid (2015@135K)
1989 Honda Accord DX (2008@180K)
1985 Honda Accord (1996@120K)
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.