Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Won't Start with One Key Sometime

10K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Flyboy 
#1 ·
Today I tried to start my car with the regular key and the green key light did not illuminate on the instrument cluster. I then went and got the valet key and when I tried to start the car the green light came on and the car started normally. After I reached my destination, and started home, I used the regular key and it worked just fine. How can the key, have an intermittent problem. The key is not powered by anything. What could cause this to happen. Could this mean that I may have a problem developing with the immobilizer system or the key?

I don't have any remote starter or other after market accessories on the car.

Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I believe you have a flaky transponder in your regular key causing the intermittent no start. The immobilizer unit sends power to the transponder in the key which then sends a coded signal back to the immobilizer. If it is a good key code the green light comes on for about 2 seconds then goes off. If it is an incorrect code the light continues to blink. If the light does not come on at all the ECM did not get any signal from the immobilizer (good or bad). There could be a loose connection between the immobilizer and the ECM, but that would be more random and not depend on which key you use.

Good Luck

#3 ·
Thanks for your quick reply. I assume that the Honda Dealer can sell me a new key. I wonder how much that will cost?

Thanks

#6 ·
Hi Thanks for the advice. What a price range! From $18 to $150. Obviously, I would have to bring along the title to the car or the registration. As long as the other key works, unless it starts to get flakey, I will take a wait and see attitude.

#8 ·
A used Accord I was looking at last year only had one key. The local dealer told me it would be a little over $100 (total) for a new key + programming.

#9 ·
The problem with the key became more frequent so I took the car to the Honda dealer and they found what was causing the issue. The green key light would not illuminate when I turned on the ignition. After awhile it would work fine. All three keys had the same problem so I deduced it wasn't the key transponder. The dealer discovered a crack in a solder joint in the PC board on the main power relay. They replaced the relay and it works fine. I would have never guessed this was the problem. I hope this will help someone else.

#11 ·
According to the Accord service manual the PGM-FI main relay is located under the dash and above the steering column separate from the fuse panels. I have not looked for mine, but it sounds rather difficlult to get to.

#12 ·
If I remember the service writer showed me the relay and I think the crack was in the PC board itself at a solder joint. The part was only about $75 dollars.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.