Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Engine tick when warm

16K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Nor514 
#1 ·
Hello,

I have a 99 accord v6 with 205k miles, not sure if a value adjustment is needed, but from what I've read it is needed when the ticking happens when starting the engine cold.

On a cold start, the engine runs great no ticking until it gets to its normal running temp then the ticking begins on the back side against the firewall of the engine. Ticking also accelerates when stepping on the gas. Overall the car runs great and all maintenance has been kept up to the mile. I am using Valvoline Maxlife 5W-30 w/Puraone filter. Any info would be great before I take it in to athe dealer.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Do you know anyone else that has an Accord similar to yours? From my experience the engines make a slight ticking noise and it's completely normal, see if you can hear the same noise from another car like yours. If that's not it sorry I'm not much help, I don't have any real experience about ticking problems, just the normal noise that I hear...

Also, are you USAF Stationed at Ft Meade? I know a guy who just got stationed there a few months ago.

#4 ·
Hey Griffeycom, yes I am stationed here in Fort Meade, but with the Army. Moved here in Aug,2010.

Thanks for the info, I will be taking it to the local Honda Dealer for a diagnostic. Not looking forward to the cost. Will post back with details.

#3 ·
Honda's engines normally don't make a sound from loose valves until hot, as you've found out.

The valves tighten when cold, loosen when hot. The J engine is well known for tightening the exhaust valves, if bad enough they can stall when cold, or worse burn valves.

They must be adjusted when the car is dead cold, preferably after sitting at least 8 hours.

#6 ·
Here's the verdict.... Theses guys ripped the car apart with their diagnostic. As it stands it needs the valve adjustment like u guys said plus more... the distributor cap, wires and plugs, front and rear motor mounts, front disks and pads (which I knew), timing belt (also knew), catalytic converter shield or the entire converter, and a crush washer for the oil plug. The cost was going to cost well over 2 grand for it all. Is it worth it?

Here's my story, I purchased the car for 3 grand from the original owner last month with 205k miles and a list of maintenance records. I inspected it with a fine tooth comb from my experiences and found the car was solid, really clean except for brakes and timing belt (was going to be due in 5k miles). I mean so clean u could eat off the engine, no rips or major wear in the leather seats, everything works like it should. I know the catalytic converter was replaced 10/2007 with 153k miles, timing belt, rotor (Ignition) plugs and wires was done 8/2005 with 104k miles.

So, I just settled for them to adjust the values and I am hoping I didn't buy a money pit. I use the car to and from work only which is just under a mile each way.

Any thoughts as to why they wanted to replace some of these items knowing the car runs like a champ?

Thanks.

Attachments

#7 ·
At 205k, you are very near the second major service. Which is pretty much what they told you. T-belt, pump, timing belt tensioner, and both rollers, coolant, belts, plugs, valves (done now), wires, cap and rotor.

It's a matter of basic maintenance, that's all. The '98 here got it's second major service at just over 205k. It already got a cat, all struts/springs and a trans prior. It was still less expensive to do the second belt service than to get another car.

If you have the ability, changing plugs, wires, cap and rotor isn't that hard.

If you're uncomfortable about the t-belt, and related, you can have them do that. It would be probably around $1200 or so, I'm figuring in my head for the timing belt, water pump, all rollers, coolant and two engine belts.

Has this car ever had a trans done?

By the pics, the car appears very clean and in pretty good shape.

#8 ·
From what I've read going thru the maintenance records from the original owner no tranny was done except it's required maintenance. It seems to have the original transmission.

Yes, I can do most of the work myself (the distributor cap, wires, plugs, front and rear motor mounts, front disks and brake pads). I'll have the dealer do the T-belt, pump, timing belt tensioner, and both rollers at once next month. But another catalytic converter??? It was replaced not too long ago (10/2007 with 153k miles).

Yes it is very clean except for a few dings and pitting on the front end from road trash, no accidents and clean carfax report. When inspecting prior to my purchase I opened up the oil cap and looked inside with a flashlight and it looked like new. No residue or sludge. Did the same with the radiator. All looked clean and was well maintained by the owner. The only drawback is its somewhat highway miles. The owner drove about 40 miles round trip to and from work, that's all he used it for.

When I get it back, I'll take a pic of the interior and post.

Thanks again for all your help.

#9 ·
clean car! and super awesome that yours still has the original tranny at over 200k miles!

i'd contribute more, but it seems that it's all covered now, =p

#11 ·
Nor514

Nice car and clean too.

I have the exact same year, model and color as you do. My engine is even as clean as yours (even has a battery with a green top). :D

Mine has 166k on it and runs great. I have on carfax on it and all maintenance has been done. My trans has been serviced per the carfax, but it doesn’t say what was done to it.

The trans does have a few of the problems that most have for that year, but they are very minor compared to most, so I believe my trans has been rebuilt.

One thing I did do that made my trans shift 100% better, was to do 3X D&R’s with redline D4. (thanks FredSVT)

After reading your post I listened to my engine and I can hear a faint ticking sound as well. Guess I need to have that checked.

Thanks for the info.

#13 ·
Thanks Tailwacker,

Outside of the second service that is needed, the car is clean. I picked it up for the wife to go back and forth to work which is less than a mile. But when I get behind the wheel its a solid ride, makes me feel young again.... lolol Overall a great car.

#15 ·
pencil

im diggin the cleanness. and lovin the pencil in the pen/pencil holder. :yes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.