v6 transmission problems, just like everyone else - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 42 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 01-10-2012, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

v6 transmission problems, just like everyone else

I have a 2001 Honda Accord with the 3.0 v6 and 135,xxx miles on it. Currently I am out of the extended warranty but I do owe another 4 thousand on the car. The shifts are either way too hard, its getting stuck in 3rd and not downshifting or upshifting, its obvious to me that the tranny is on the way out. What I am looking for is tips on what I should do. Whats the difference between a rebuilt transmission or a completely new one, really just need another 25,000 miles on this car. Will getting a flush help me at all or is it too late?

Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 01-10-2012, 02:51 PM
1st Gear

Flush the fluid.

Use a thing of Lucas tranny fix. That stuff held my 96 accord tranny together to 250k.

post #3 of 40 Old 01-10-2012, 03:57 PM
6th Gear

There are no new transmissions available. Your choices are to have someone rebuild your existing transmission, buy one already rebuilt or get a used trany (not recommended by me).
You can try a few drain and refills, but I doubt it will help much at this stage. Stay away from power flushes.

2000 Accord SE I4 F23A1 Auto - Sold @174k miles & 10 years ownership
1998 Accord LX I4 F23A1 5 speed - sons DD in DC
1987 Accord LX 5 spd Owned for 17 years sold @155k
1986 Accord LX Auto Totaled @137k miles
1983 Accord LX 5 spd My Second Accord traded in
1978 Accord LX 5 spd My First Accord sold @ 100k

post #4 of 40 Old 01-10-2012, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I've been driving it doing the shifts myself going from gear one to two to d3 and it seems to be working just fine, is it possible that the problem could be the torque converter or a shifter solenoid? I had an isuzu trooper before this that burned through the first two gears so I only had the third gear to drive in and currently I have full use of all my gears. Any ideas?
post #5 of 40 Old 01-11-2012, 06:12 AM
1st Gear

You could try the drain/refill/ drive 10 minutes 3x. I used Valvoline Maxlife ATF and now my downshifts are much smoother.

I bought my fluid at Walmart (3 jugs for about 17 each), so your talking a a little over $50 to try.

1998 Accord EX V6 - 3.0L - sold
2001 Accord EX V6 - 3.0L - 191K miles, gave to brother in-law (still going)
post #6 of 40 Old 01-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Greg

I agree with the posts above. Try a few drain and refills to try to get out all the old cruddy tranny fluid. That would be the simplest and least expensive thing to try.

2012 Hyundai Sonata SE Turbo

1999 Honda Accord EX Coupe - SOLD
3.0L V6
166,800 miles
35% Tint
Nokya Hyper Yellow 9006 Headlight Bulbs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 40 Old 01-13-2012, 01:16 PM
Out of Control

Why not send a letter to Honda and complain about your transmission problem. They may give you a 'good will' warrantee on a rebuilt transmission. They may give you the transmission and you may have to pay to install it or whatever. My Accord's transmission was one month out of the 10 year extended warrantee and the dealer persuaded Honda to pay for a rebuilt transmission. It's worth a try.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #8 of 40 Old 02-23-2012, 03:56 PM
1st Gear

Smile

My gen 6 is a '98 I4. I had the same problem with my car that you are describing. The trouble started at around 98k and was very intermittent. It eventually got so bad that I had to manually shift in order to drive it at all. And when coming to a stop, the tranny would not downshift at all and I would have to shift into Neutral then back to D4. I searched high and low and my bf asked a mechanic friend of his about the problem. The mechanic has a 2000 Accord 4cyl that had the same problem when he bought the car from the original owner. He was able to correct the problem by removing the lock-up solenoid valve assembly and cleaning the filter screens. There are basically two screens, one for each side of the solenoid. These become clogged and the restricted flow of ATF results in lack of proper shifting of the transmission. We tried this on my car and also did 2 drain/fills with the same Valvoline Full Synthetic ATF that was mentioned in this thread and my car drives like new again. I would recommend checking the solenoid screens because they are likely blocked just like mine were. Also, the drain plug has a magnet which pulls out the metal particles that get into the fluid from normal use. My bf and the mechanic said that for the mileage on my car, the residue on the plug was about average so I do not think the transmission is showing signs of excessive wear. The previous owner was my bf's mother and she babied the car from when it was new. I hope this helps. Oh, the lock-up solenoid valve assembly is the one on top of the transmission. It sits just forward and down from the starter. If you look at the top radiator hose and point straight down, it is almost directly to the left and has two round cylinders that look like old 35mm film canisters.

My car - 1998 Honda Accord LX/Color - Heather Mist Metallic, all original 105k
slimm1469 likes this.
post #9 of 40 Old 03-06-2012, 04:13 AM
1st Gear

Unhappy Transmission death throes

I am replying to my original post for one reason, my tranny has died a horrible death. After doing the screen cleaning the car drove perfectly fine for 1,579 miles. The shifts were silky smooth and then one day while driving home from work I stopped at a red light and then...slam. The downshift into first gear pushed me back in the seat and the car lurched forward slightly. As the light turned green I accelerated normally and the 1-2 upshift was delayed and there was another shudder. 2-3 upshift did not occur at all until I took my foot off the accelerator. This continued for the next 7-8 miles before getting home. Once there, I decided to back in to have a good look under the hood. I stopped, put the car in reverse and then nothing happened for about 2 seconds and then the most awful noise came from under the hood. It was the sound of metal grinding on metal and the car started to move backward. I was able to park and I checked the fluid and it was still full and the color cherry red/not burned. Boyfriend called a transmission shop he trusts and I drove it up there yesterday. They said it was the clutch bands that were clogging the screens and the problem would only get worse to the point where the car would no longer move at all. So, I am waiting to find out today what the cost will be. I ordered an auxiliary transmission oil cooler today as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accord98lx For This Useful Post:
chriso (03-28-2016), MindFork (12-04-2014)
post #10 of 40 Old 03-16-2012, 01:22 PM
VivekTHind

i have a 2002 accord SE 2.3L 4cyl, my tranny had recently started slip a lot when i'm changing gears from first to second, and i've read that its usually because there isn't enough friction between gears and i've been wondering if my tranny doesn't get messed up that much, i can get it fixed for under a grand
post #11 of 40 Old 03-17-2012, 11:15 AM
1st Gear

I used Lucas and it helped tremendously through 2-4th gear, however shifting from first to second got a bit harder.
post #12 of 40 Old 03-19-2012, 03:51 PM
VivekTHind

how long did the lucas oil last before it started to cause the same problem when the gears are changin?
post #13 of 40 Old 07-23-2012, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

I had my tranny rebuilt by a small family-owned shop here in town. The owner was very nice and he answered all my questions, beginning from the time the problem started until the day I drove my car limping all the way to his shop. He stated he has rebuilt a lot of the Honda BAXA transmissions. He said that they all basically run great until about 100k when the bands have worn down and the filter screens have become clogged. He gave me a one year, unlimited mileage warranty on the transmission. The car had just over 104k on it when I picked it up. It now has 114k and has been perfect ever since.
post #14 of 40 Old 07-23-2012, 04:11 PM
DJR
3rd Gear

I didn't think the 4 cylinder transmissions had issues. I only knew of the V6's having issues.
post #15 of 40 Old 07-23-2012, 08:49 PM
1st Gear

I too thought the tranny issues were for the V6.
I wanted to know are all the people in here who's having problems all drive MANUAL or AUTOMATIC?

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.