1994 Accord Issue: Transmission? Air Cleaner? MAP Sensor? - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By KW2004Accord
  • 2 Post By KW2004Accord
  • 2 Post By KW2004Accord

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 12-07-2016, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

1994 Accord Issue: Transmission? Air Cleaner? MAP Sensor?

I'm not the most car savvy guy in the world, but here we go.

The Problem: Recently purchased this 94 Accord, automatic tranny 140k miles. Died on the highway a few weeks ago; speed dropped out and I could only limp it down the road. I have driven it to a few different shops and back to my place and it goes like this: starts out driving fine, but after a while it starts losing speed. Then it "catches" and speeds up again. Does this continuously. I can get it to drive between 5-40mph, but sometimes It comes to a complete stop not matter how much juice I give it. I noticed if I turn the car off and turn it back on again, it kind of "resets" and I can drive normally again at least for a few minutes. The longer I drive it, the worse it gets.

What I've Done: Took it to Pep Boys (I know, but it was close), and they told me that I needed to purchase the "whole air tub" because mine was old and worn, and that was affecting the air mixing with the gas. The guy said he couldn't find the part, or give me the exact name, and when he called back he said what I needed to order was the air cleaner assembly. Had to be special ordered from Honda Dealer, so I went to pick up my car and drive it home until I got the part, but as they were getting it ready I noticed what they had actually taken out was the tube that sits in front of the air filter housing (no idea what its called, see below), and is not part of the assembly he told me to order. I held off on ordering anything, mostly because he couldn't tell me the name of the part.

I did the carburetor cleaner test on the air cleaner assembly, where you spray the cleaner on it and wait for the engine to react, when it reacts you've found your leak/hole. I sprayed the whole assembly and got no reaction, but when I sprayed it down the tube in front of the filter the engine absolutely did react.

Frustrated, I took the car to an import repair shop with an excellent reputation, and they looked at it for a very short amount of time and told me I actually needed the tranny rebuilt. To their credit, they said they didn't even want to do it and recommended I call around because a tranny shop would give me a much better price. But I'm hesitant about their assessment.

I've read online that when the MAP sensor is ready to go, it can cause the car to slip, jerk, and even come to a stop as if the tranny is going out. So I ordered one for $10 just in case.

Any suggestions as to what is wrong would be very welcome!

Here's a pic of the tube I'm guessing the mechanic wanted me to get but couldn't find or tell me the name of. Said I needed the upper and lower part of it.

Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-07-2016, 01:21 PM
5th Gear

Could be more than one problem, could be your trans. pressure switches &/or the trans. fluid was never changed, causing the clutch packs to wear. You may want to do 1 drain & fill of new trans. fluid to see if that helps but sounds like the trans. is on the way out. Just be aware that the grit in the old fluid is the only thing that may be providing friction between the clutches & removing it may cause the trans. to go. It is an unknown and risky at this point.

slimm1469 likes this.

2004 4cyl. A/T EX Sedan 475K
The Following User Says Thank You to KW2004Accord For This Useful Post:
davis909 (12-07-2016)
post #3 of 7 Old 12-07-2016, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW2004Accord View Post
Could be more than one problem, could be your trans. pressure switches &/or the trans. fluid was never changed, causing the clutch packs to wear. You may want to do 1 drain & fill of new trans. fluid to see if that helps but sounds like the trans. is on the way out. Just be aware that the grit in the old fluid is the only thing that may be providing friction between the clutches & removing it may cause the trans. to go. It is an unknown and risky at this point.
I did drain and fill on the transmission about a month ago, maybe that's why it went?

post #4 of 7 Old 12-07-2016, 01:59 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davis909 View Post
I did drain and fill on the transmission about a month ago, maybe that's why it went?
Can only speculate, trans. shops around me will not do a fluid change if the car is over 80k without ever having a prior fluid change because they don't want to be held libel if the trans. fails. Offen shops will tell you that you need a trans. replacement when all is really needed is new pressure switches. Since the shop didn't want to do a trans. replacement it gives them some cred. In another thread, someone with trans. issues went & replaced the pressure switches, even though it helped it did not fix his problem. You are right, it takes some time for the new detergents in the fluid to start cleaning. Put in your new MAP sensor to see if that was the problem.
slimm1469 and enne like this.

The Following User Says Thank You to KW2004Accord For This Useful Post:
davis909 (12-07-2016)
post #5 of 7 Old 12-07-2016, 05:08 PM
resident liquid wrapper

Garage
I'd say the transmission is on its way out. Try the smaller stuff first if you're okay with that. But in my option you should start looking for a good, possibly Asian import-specialty transmission shop.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Selene, 1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan, 2.3L ULEV-VTEC, 134K, liquid wrapped jet black
Harlock, 1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe, 3.8L V6, 120K, sebring silver
Dana, 2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan, 2.2 L, 134K, sandrift metallic
post #6 of 7 Old 12-08-2016, 07:42 PM
5th Gear

In another thread titled "Momentary Violent Tranmission Shake" by Ohio Jim - Rick Blaine who is a mod & long time poster here, stated a crack in the air intake tube can cause transmission (shifting) problems. The mechanic that suggested that to you may have been onto something, may help you solve your problem, maybe not. Something to look into though. I have learned something new. Hope it works out for you, good luck.
Miker and slimm1469 like this.

post #7 of 7 Old 01-03-2017, 05:16 PM
1st Gear

Is the D4 light or any of the shift indicators flashing or not solid?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.