Please HELP - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By salcuta88

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 12-19-2016, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Please HELP

Hey i own a 94 honda accord. 4 sedan but i dont think that matters regarding this. I am fairly positive i have a blown head gasket but havent had time or money to fix it yet. With this recent extreme cold weather in my area my car suddenly wouldnt start a few weeks back. It seems that the battery is fine but it just wouldnt turn over. So i took cabs and got rides for a week and didnt touch it then one day i tried it and it came right on. And i was driving it since. With the blown head gasket (i think) it makes it so the car runs great as long as its running but getting it to start is the problem. If i drive for awhile then turn it off i cant immediately start it again because it wont turn over. It will try but and be like glug glug glug...glug...glug.....dead. So i have to wait half hour or so then it fires right up. Anyway well we had deep freeze here this weekend. Got really cold. She still started tho with slight hesitance but today just wont turn over. Been trying all day. I realized Ive been stepping on the gas as i turn the key. Did i flood it?
What do i have to do to get her started? I have young children its getting hard finding them rides! Thank you

Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-19-2016, 06:19 PM
resident liquid wrapper

Garage
A blown head gasket would send your temp gauge shooting above the red in a matter of minutes. There would be oil in the coolant and/or coolant spewing out from the car. It would smoke and you would smell it.

If I had to take a wild guess I would say your fuel pump is shot and needs replaced. Take it to a mechanic that has an OBD-I scanner and have them check the car for codes. Make sure it is OBD-I, not just a scanner. Cars made after 1996 have OBD-II so your car's system isn't so common anymore. Have them look at it. It'll probably be cheaper in the long run than letting the car sit and taking cabs and bumming rides forever. If you can find a place that'll give you a loaner car until it is fixed, that would help.

Selene, 1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan, 2.3L ULEV-VTEC, 134K, liquid wrapped jet black
Harlock, 1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe, 3.8L V6, 120K, sebring silver
Dana, 2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan, 2.2 L, 134K, sandrift metallic
The Following User Says Thank You to enne For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (12-19-2016)
post #3 of 11 Old 12-19-2016, 06:25 PM
Your Maintenance Minder

Thanked 1,588 Times in 1,090 Posts
1) Why do you think you have a blown headgasket?

2) Could you please write more clearly in your descriptions so as to be understood? Are you saying the engine is turning over but won't catch? Or are you saying the starter isn't even engaging and you are hearing clicking sounds?

3) Have you checked your coolant level, when the radiator and overflow bottle are cool?

4) What is "extreme climate"? Please list a location.

5) Have you ever gone to Advance Auto or a Pepe Boys, etc. for a free battery test- no
appointment needed?

EDIT: Agree with "enne"- your symptoms sound like the fuel pump. Have you been driving that car with little to no fuel often? Ever run out of gas? When fuel pumps go, they work, then they don't always work, then.....
@enne: Right on for suggesting OBD-1 !!!!
post #4 of 11 Old 12-19-2016, 06:33 PM
Bout it, Bout it

Sounds like the main relay. Extreme hot & cold temps cause the solders to crack.

2002 Honda Accord EX-L SULEV -- 200K miles
2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD -- 35K miles
2002 Infiniti I35 w/dat VQ35 -- 115K miles
The Following User Says Thank You to mclasser For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (12-19-2016)
post #5 of 11 Old 12-22-2016, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
1) Why do you think you have a blown headgasket?

2) Could you please write more clearly in your descriptions so as to be understood? Are you saying the engine is turning over but won't catch? Or are you saying the starter isn't even engaging and you are hearing clicking sounds?

3) Have you checked your coolant level, when the radiator and overflow bottle are cool?

4) What is "extreme climate"? Please list a location.

5) Have you ever gone to Advance Auto or a Pepe Boys, etc. for a free battery test- no
appointment needed?

EDIT: Agree with "enne"- your symptoms sound like the fuel pump. Have you been driving that car with little to no fuel often? Ever run out of gas? When fuel pumps go, they work, then they don't always work, then.....
@enne: Right on for suggesting OBD-1 !!!!
1. I think its a head gasket just based on what ive been told by my neighbor and a co worker. And they base their opinion on how it was running in the summer after i took it for drive that was too long and it did actually overheat and start doing what you described except no spitting oil. It would rumble to a start and the needle would go up to red extremely fast and eventually the car died. It was difficult to get it home. But then i got the thermostat changed and the overheating problem sort of was fixed but not completely. It would still overheat almost every time and i couldnt idle it. I had to continuosly put coolant in the radiator. As it got colder the problem got better but then it got too cold an here we are.

2. The engine is attempting to turn over. It sounds like it even is sometimes but it will just stop. Ill hear the rumble of it catching then it just goes away and its back to trying to catch.

3. Yes. I am still constantly checking the radiator and putting coolant in it. The overflow bottle too every other time. It is constantly using up coolant. Theres coolant sprayed around the top of the radiator im not sure if the cap is bad too?

4. Extreme climate is boise, idaho.

5. I have not taken it in but thought of that idea too last night. If i can just get it to start i can drive it there

Oh and no i have never ran out of gas or even let it get low enough for the gas light to turn on. But thats just me and i havent changed the fuel pump

Thats what i thought too! I had it replaced a couple years ago for that issue. Similar type thing. Car wont start in extreme temperatures. Its possible? But this time just seems different. I know my car by now and the way it happened seems different

Last edited by namegoeshere; 12-22-2016 at 08:40 AM.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-22-2016, 09:24 AM
resident liquid wrapper

Garage
So your car overheated months ago, spewed coolant all over the engine bay, and you only had the thermostat replaced...? Then you just kept driving it despite the fact you knew the problem wasn't fixed...?

Now you're complaining that the car won't work.

See a pattern here?

Take it to a mechanic, have THEM diagnose it, not your neighbor or your co-worker, and get it fixed.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Selene, 1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan, 2.3L ULEV-VTEC, 134K, liquid wrapped jet black
post #7 of 11 Old 12-22-2016, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Thats not how it was sir. Truth is im a single father barely keeping a roof over my kids heads because their mother is manipulating the system and committing welfare fraud and....nevermind. Look i cant afford a mechanic. If i could why would i be posting on some forum? Fact is i have to fix it on my own and know nothing about cars. So if you dont want to help i understand but please keep the sarcasm and attitude to yourself.

I just tried startinh it and it fired up instantly then died. What would that mean
post #8 of 11 Old 12-23-2016, 08:39 AM
Out of Control

Sounds like a bad battery connection. The start/no start isn't related to any possible headgasket issues. You can do a headgasket yourself but it's going to take several hours. There should be plenty of youtube videos to assist.

2005 EX-L Sedan, i4 + Automatic. over 170K and counting. runs like a clock.
V6 TL-S fsb/rsb
V6 battery upgrade
V6 strut bar
Weathertech floor liners
Tinted windows

Most meticulously maintained accord on this site
post #9 of 11 Old 12-23-2016, 01:35 PM
resident liquid wrapper

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostface View Post
Thats not how it was sir. Truth is im a single father barely keeping a roof over my kids heads because their mother is manipulating the system and committing welfare fraud and....nevermind. Look i cant afford a mechanic. If i could why would i be posting on some forum? Fact is i have to fix it on my own and know nothing about cars. So if you dont want to help i understand but please keep the sarcasm and attitude to yourself.

I just tried startinh it and it fired up instantly then died. What would that mean
What I'm trying to say is, you probably could have fixed this for much cheaper then instead of ignoring it to the point where you can't drive the car anymore. Try to remember that next time. That is my sincere advice to you.

Despite my "attitude", I am giving you advice and I still say your fuel pump is shot which may explain why it'll struggle to start but run just fine once you get it going. Did it stutter/shake when you were sitting on an incline? That would be another symptom of the fuel pump going bad, depending on the design of it.

You probably had a head gasket leak before it became a full-blown head gasket.

I wouldn't recommend DIYing a head gasket when you have zero car knowledge, but if you'd rather give it a go with the chance of screwing it up and paying even more to get it fixed, go ahead...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

post #10 of 11 Old 12-23-2016, 03:45 PM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
Old Accord...I'm going to guess the same as enne as the fuel pump. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but she's not a sir.

I would also check my distributor. When they're old, carbon builds up around inside it causing it to misfire and not start. See if you get a spark. If no spark, then it's a bad distributor, ignition cables, or spark plugs.
enne likes this.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 162k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima
post #11 of 11 Old 12-23-2016, 09:04 PM
Out of Control

The basics, always start at the basics. As salcutta88 said, check the distributor cap, the distributor is known to leak oil. See if it is clean and if the terminals inside the cap are on good shape as well as the rotor button. Hopefully the sparkplug wires are in good shape. Pull the plugs and clean them up and or replace them, if you can borrow a compression tester do a compression test, it is very simple. If your compression is low it could be a sign of a blown head gasket. The spark plugs condition will tell you if you are burning coolant. Does this car have AC and is it or was it working??

Current Honda vehicles
2005 Acura TSX Auto @200k miles - My Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 41,000 miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2001 Acura MDX Still running strong @218k
2013 FIT Sport Auto Daughters car miles (Grover)
Former Honda Vehicles
1991 Accord LX auto sold to niece @185k miles
1995 GSR sold @220k miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI sold to my brother @44k miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold to my Sister @165k miles
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.