Low fuel warning: How many Gallons of Gas on Reserve before empty? - Page 6 - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #76 of 83 Old 03-18-2016, 07:35 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by easymike View Post
@Irv Le
In my 14 LX (same tank, same motor), I've pumped in an average of 13.5 the moment the light comes on (within ten miles of it). I've pumped in 15.5-16.0 when range says "0", and I've pumped 16.6-16.8 when exceeding "0" by 30-40 miles. I typically hook up an OBD tool to read % fuel remaining at this point and don't push it past 3%. So based on MY driving

Light on = 3.5 gallons
Range 0 = 1-1.5 gallons

Your vehicle's exact specs will likely differ just a little, and that's for you to test.
Thank you....just what I was looking for.

2016 accord sedan EXL...White orchid pearl.
Advertisement

post #77 of 83 Old 03-18-2016, 08:24 AM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irv Le View Post
Thank you....just what I was looking for.
Just be careful, I wouldn't want you to get stranded because of me.

Current vehicle:
2014 Honda Accord LX 6MT 85K
easy mods and changes:
*55W HID lowbeam 5000K (Innovited upgrade kit)
*Interior trunk handle
*Trunk cargo net
*All weather floor mats from College Hills Honda
*LED "strip" bulb
*LED reverse bulb
*Gutter Guards behind lower grille

Previous vehicles:
2001 Chevy Prizm 3AT (given away, it was a terrible car...)
1995 Honda Accord DX 5MT (wrecked at 240K)
1989 Honda Civic LX 4AT (wrecked at 180K)
1988 GMC Sierra 1500 5MT (sold at 80K)
post #78 of 83 Old 05-13-2016, 08:29 AM
1st Gear

First Fill up in 16 Sport-
Per the car computer, I had about 25 miles remaining with gas light on.
I was able to only pump 14.5 gallons, based on a 17.2 gallon tank per the Honda specs.
Also I was at a total of 390 miles on that one tank of gas. All city and old lady driving type.
Basically, I drove it really whimpy.

Based on this thread, when u get down to 0 miles left, you still have around 1-1.5 gallons left.

I had 18.5 gallon tank on a Maxima, the most I was ever able to get into that was usually 16 - to maybe 17 gallons max.

post #79 of 83 Old 10-01-2016, 08:17 PM
2nd Gear

I've now owned my 2014 LX CVT for two full years. I know everyone will hate this and try to tell me I'm killing my car, but as I've stated before, I do this on every car I own, including my previous Accord that I traded in meticulous condition, at 8 years old and 150k miles. I've never once had to replace a fuel pump in any vehicle, ever.

I run it down to zero on the range and I "top off" until it is all the way up the neck of the tank. I do this every time and I have logged every fill up on this car since it was brand new two years ago, and my 2006 for the last four years I owned it.

I've filled my current car 71 times so far.

I've gone as far as 59 miles after the range hit zero and it died as I pulled up to the gas pump. When I filled it, I got 20.056 gallons into it. I've had one other time over 20 gallons (20.028) but I made it to the gas pump without it dying.

My typical fill up happens somewhere between 5-10 miles remaining on the range and my average gallons purchased per fill up was 18.75 gallons last time I checked (~2 months ago). My average miles per tank over all 71 fuel ups is 494 miles and my average mpg for the life of the car is 27.1 mpg. The lifetime average mpg that the car reports is within .2 of what is calculated by my Fuelly.com logs. Fuelly's lifetime mpg is a simple calculation of miles driven/gallons purchased. (as opposed to averaging the mpg of every individual fill up)

When I fill up, if I stopped the first time the pump clicked off, it would be somewhere around 15 gallons. But as I mentioned, I fill it ALL the way up, every time, so my Fuelly numbers will remain consistent, and I usually get somewhere between 18.5 and 19 gallons.

28/71 fill ups have been 19 gallons or greater.
55/71 fill ups have been 18 gallons or greater.

I live in central Texas so the summer affects my mpg greatly. My worst mpg is 24.2 (all city driving in the heat of august) and my best was 32.2. (Road trip from Austin to Tuscaloosa in March).

My experience is that the low fuel light comes on between 63-68 miles remaining on the range. That means ~2.5 gallons remaining until the range says zero. I've gone up to 59 miles after the zero, so that would be a tad bit over 2 gallons after the range hits zero. So at the time the low fuel light comes on, there appears to be about somewhere around 4+ gallons remaining in the tank.
Motley likes this.

2014 LX. Modern Steel Metallic. CVT. Purchased 9/11/2014 from Honda of San Marcos (Texas)

(Traded In)2006 LX-SE (i4). Nighthawk Black. Purchased 11/1/2005. Automatic transmission. Live in Austin, TX. 145k miles as of June 2014.
post #80 of 83 Old 10-02-2016, 08:30 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess91872 View Post
I've now owned my 2014 LX CVT for two full years. I know everyone will hate this and try to tell me I'm killing my car, but as I've stated before, I do this on every car I own, including my previous Accord that I traded in meticulous condition, at 8 years old and 150k miles. I've never once had to replace a fuel pump in any vehicle, ever.

I run it down to zero on the range and I "top off" until it is all the way up the neck of the tank. I do this every time and I have logged every fill up on this car since it was brand new two years ago, and my 2006 for the last four years I owned it.

I've filled my current car 71 times so far.

I've gone as far as 59 miles after the range hit zero and it died as I pulled up to the gas pump. When I filled it, I got 20.056 gallons into it. I've had one other time over 20 gallons (20.028) but I made it to the gas pump without it dying.

My typical fill up happens somewhere between 5-10 miles remaining on the range and my average gallons purchased per fill up was 18.75 gallons last time I checked (~2 months ago). My average miles per tank over all 71 fuel ups is 494 miles and my average mpg for the life of the car is 27.1 mpg. The lifetime average mpg that the car reports is within .2 of what is calculated by my Fuelly.com logs. Fuelly's lifetime mpg is a simple calculation of miles driven/gallons purchased. (as opposed to averaging the mpg of every individual fill up)

When I fill up, if I stopped the first time the pump clicked off, it would be somewhere around 15 gallons. But as I mentioned, I fill it ALL the way up, every time, so my Fuelly numbers will remain consistent, and I usually get somewhere between 18.5 and 19 gallons.

28/71 fill ups have been 19 gallons or greater.
55/71 fill ups have been 18 gallons or greater.

I live in central Texas so the summer affects my mpg greatly. My worst mpg is 24.2 (all city driving in the heat of august) and my best was 32.2. (Road trip from Austin to Tuscaloosa in March).

My experience is that the low fuel light comes on between 63-68 miles remaining on the range. That means ~2.5 gallons remaining until the range says zero. I've gone up to 59 miles after the zero, so that would be a tad bit over 2 gallons after the range hits zero. So at the time the low fuel light comes on, there appears to be about somewhere around 4+ gallons remaining in the tank.
I guess you enjoy living life on the edge. Of course the computer's milage is optimistic between 0.8 to 1.0 miles per gallon. I have been comparing the milage on the computer verses calculating the milage the old fashioned way, with a calculator. I always stop filling my tank when the pump shuts off and I have been keeping a tab on Fuelly. 2013 Red Coupe (Honda Accord) | Fuelly

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #81 of 83 Old 10-02-2016, 02:47 PM
HondaNewb

Was the fuel tank bigger in 2014?. I though the tanks were about 17.5 gallons, unsure how the above poster put over 20 gallons into it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

2016 Honda Accord EX-L, in White Orchid Pearl (1st ever Honda)
Click to see lifetime mileage of my I4 CVT. http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/453612.png
post #82 of 83 Old 10-02-2016, 06:21 PM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Was the fuel tank bigger in 2014?. I though the tanks were about 17.5 gallons, unsure how the above poster put over 20 gallons into it.
17.5 is what Honda states. But as I discussed and as others of confirmed, when Honda's own range says zero miles remaining, there are still more than two gallons in the tank and multiple posters have told of going varying ranges before filling up. My personal highest after zero was 58 miles. I also fill the tank all the way up through the pipes into the neck to where the gas tank filling hole is located.

2014 LX. Modern Steel Metallic. CVT. Purchased 9/11/2014 from Honda of San Marcos (Texas)

(Traded In)2006 LX-SE (i4). Nighthawk Black. Purchased 11/1/2005. Automatic transmission. Live in Austin, TX. 145k miles as of June 2014.
post #83 of 83 Old 10-02-2016, 07:58 PM
HondaNewb

Yeah, I don't do the gas topping off thing. I used to top off my diesel everytime I filled it. Diesel doesn't have the vapor issue and diesel fuel foams when you pump it, like soda pop. I could usually get another 1.5 gallons into my VW TDI. And at nearly 50MPG, that allowed me to get another 75 miles or so out of my tank. I could go 800-900 miles on 18.5 gallons of fuel.

However, with gas topping off is not really a good practice. I'm not going to admonish anybody who does it, but there are reasons why it's not a good idea. Feel free to google it if you don't trust me, you should find lots of stuff like this. Three Reasons Why You Should Not Top Off the Fuel Tank of Your Car? - The GateThe Gate.

I drove my car down to 0 miles to empty. Probably went another 5 miles or so. Put in around 16.3 gallons, so I had about 1 gallon remaining. That was good enough for me. I don't worry about getting to the station when my fuel light comes on, I just drive till I'm near 0. I don't need to set any records, but I know that I still have fuel at 0 miles to go, so unless I'm out in the middle of nowhere, it should not be an issue.

2016 Honda Accord EX-L, in White Orchid Pearl (1st ever Honda)
Click to see lifetime mileage of my I4 CVT. http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/453612.png
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.