Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Venting Gas and also oil smells

7K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  blcwboy1 
#1 ·
I bought our first new car since 2002, looked at mildly used Accords, but prices high, and found the CTV wasn't so bad, in fact I like it on this new 2014 Accord.

Anyway I am a wrench turner and am very experienced, but was tired of it, bought this Accord to just drive, and not worry about timing belts, and oil level and stuff breaking. (Previous daily drivers to me Caddie SLS, Audi A4, Ford Escape.

Except for rattly glovebox door this Accord is perfect. Purchased in August 2014. (4cyl EX)

Around November 2014 I got into the car one day and it smelled like GAS! I cursed myself figuring I tracked gas into the car at the last fill-up. I was mad, parked car with windows open and got on with life.

Within a couple more weeks I smelled strong gas a couple more times. Along with the smell of oil burning (I did have the dealer change the oil, and figured this would go away, as I know that happens) (It did on the Audi and Ford even when I did a change)

We are into January and this damn gas smell comes and goes, I had the dealer look at it (of course they think I am a PITA).

I was asked (by dealer) of possibly overfilling the tank. (When it clicks I stop.. so no) In the past month I have kept the tank between almost empty and 3/4 full just so the dealer doesn't have "human error" as a factor. BTW me alone on highway I touch 40mpg at 75mph on 120 mile tirps with a little city. (NICE)

I have kept records that the gas smell occurs under the following condition.
Car is cold, and day temp goes up--- of course parked outside in sun-- and the air is still.

I walk up to the car sometimes and it smells so strong like someone overfilled a lawn-mower on a summer day. It can be strong.

I am a freelance photographer so my "patterns" are varied. So the 20 year-old car of my co-worker is not the issue. The smell was absolutely confirmed one day when the gas smell was strong and there was not another car parked within 40 feet of me. (outdoors). This was a day in the 15 degrees F in the morning where I parked the car in the sun and temp rose to about 30.

I have only noticed this situation in my garage once. Generally I am taking a "warm" car into a cooler environment. This is why see below based on the evidence what my suspisions are.

Of course when I start the car the smell get's sucked in the vent.

NOW I also smell the fragrant smell of hot oil eminating from the car throughout the day (this is a much milder situation to the gas).

My thoughts based on the EVIDENCE!. The crankcase vent system has and issue AND OR the gas-tank vapor recirculation system has an issue.

I smelled the oil / dipstick the other day and it smelled like oil should. (no gas in oil).

Anyway, I am pissed that a car labeled "earth dreams" smells about like a really good MGB should smell or about as good as a 20 year-old Volvo 145 did on a really bad day.

It put it to dealer and Honda that the reason all those hoses and canisters were introduced to vehicles 30 years ago were an EPA mandate on venting gas fumes to atmosphere, so my opinions aside, the car isn't functioning as designed per EPA mandates. This IS AN EMISSIONS ISSUE!

Thoughts... Mostly I am posting this to see if they may have a recall situation in the works, or if my car has an issue with a part in the EGR/CCV or other basic emission system.

COLD CAR... drive car. Park outdoors (STILL AIR) day warms UP. Gas seems to be vented from somewhere. Also still smells like a little hot oil vapor is vented/burning somewhere when car is HOT

See less See more
#2 ·
That is odd for sure. I can say after 12,000 miles on my 2014, I have not had either smell or situation you described.

If you are not leaking gas anywhere, it for sure has to be a vent issue. Possibly the gas cap itself? Tho, that would not explain the oil smell.

Is the smell of both stronger towards the front or rear of the car? There are just so many things it could be, that makes it hard to diagnose.

#3 ·
The front.
I'm no dummy newbee, no obvious leaks.
Not the cap... smell is from passenger front.

I'm approaching 50yrs old.
I've rebuilt a Mazda rotary engine (and most of the car), maintained a '37 Ford flathead V8, an MGB, fixed dozens of things on an Audi, Volvo(s), and kept that high end Caddi SLS in tune and smooooth.
I don't do mods, I put things together the way engineers intended.
I respect the rock solid engineering done by Honda, Audi and BMW are good, but not for the LOOOONG road.

#9 ·
The front.
I'm no dummy newbee, no obvious leaks.
Not the cap... smell is from passenger front.

I'm approaching 50yrs old.
I've rebuilt Mazda rotary engine, maintained a '37 Ford flathead V8, an MGB, fixed dozens of things on an Audi, Volvo(s), and kept that high end Caddi SLS in tune and smooooth.
I don't do mods, I put things together the way engineers intended.
I respect the rock solid engineering done by Honda, Audi and BMW are good, but not for the LOOOONG road.
No one called you a dummy or newbie, nor questioned your experience. I just asked questions for clarification. I'll refrain from further comment.

#4 ·
Dimitri,

Welcome to Drive Accord.

That was a good, detailed write-up. My first thought was that you are being attacked by the yellow-sac spiders which have wreaked havoc on Mazdas and some other brands.
http://www.slashgear.com/mazda-6-sedans-being-recalled-due-to-spider-infestation-again-06323928/

In which city do you live?

My next thought is that you have either a disconnected gas vent line, or a blocked PCV valve- which is unlikely, but can give off similar symptoms.

Lastly, how is your oil level? Are you over-filled?

#6 ·
Seeing it's under 8k and started under 5k and the dealer is the ONLY person to put fluids in or out, I'm leaving it up to the dealer. I hate checking professional's work, but the "overfill" might make sense, as that is when IT STARTED... after the first oil change. I'll go look!

#7 ·
I tried to open the link and had no good result.

@acutee

Is this the recall for the gas tank fill pipe not seating correctly in the the tank? Hopefully it's not for the short block L4 replacement. http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/showthread.php?t=294945

OP if this is applicable to you this might be the fix.

As far as the oil smell, 2013 V6 does it too. No leaks observable by dipstick measurement or dripping oil on garage floor. If driven hard I believe my oil smell occurs after burning off the condensation in the engine oil. The "chocolate milk" occurs on these more efficient engines and since they don't get overly hot it occurs more often than not, for me. If I drive 100+ miles, couple hours straight or alot of city traffic, I get the oil smell almost immediately and the "chocolate milk" on the oil cap disappears. Otherwise in cold temps short trips no smell but the milk appears.

that's my take on it.

#8 ·
I've noticed the oil smell on my car, too. It is definitely noticeable near the passenger wheel well area. I do see just the tiniest bit of oil at the valve cover, but it could be from the tech being sloppy with the oil. I brought the CVT fluid smell to the dealer's attention at my last oil change and they were not able to find any leaks or anything abnormal. There is a vent on the CVT, so maybe it's just normal and most people don't notice it? I had them do a CVT drain and refill at the same time and the smell is still present.

#12 ·
@dimitri: No worries- but a lot of the responses are written for a wide audience, and will help newbies down the road when they purchase used 9th Gens in 2020....they may read this thread that you started.

A lot of Drive Accord members on the 7th Gen forum bought their cars used- we are seeing a lot of teenagers buying them now as their first car. You would not believe how many times we tell members to check the master "child lock" window button when they complain that "none of my windows work except the driver's window!"

#13 ·
Yes... I've been member on the Mazda RX7, Caddi SLS/STS, and I can't believe the whinny, read the manual, have some common sense questions. Also I nosed around here and have already seen some of it here. Sure most of us guys are over-sensitive. I have reasonable expectations of engineering/vehicles/ and have turned wrenches on more than a few. I recognized bad engineering or just bad maintenance quickly. I'm not posting here to create drama, the glove-box door rattle I can handle, these smells (that I would associate with a well worn decade-old car) are not what I was expecting with this new one. (from Honda -- possibly yes from a German car)

#14 ·
Smelling gas having the origin the exhaust is not a dangerous situation.

But, when the gas smell comes from the front of the car -the motor- even when it might be a loose hose, oil overfill, etc. that is dangerous... and it must be taken seriously... literally seriously.

Reduce the oil from the tank and check if the gas smell continues, and if the smell still being perceived, you better make it fixed without delay... any spark can cause you car set on fire... and you don't want that to happen.

#15 ·
Wasn't sure it my reply about oil level was buried. It is "high" or overfilled by at least half a quart possibly more (by dealer).
I smelled the distinct "hot oil" come through the vents on each startup (other than first) this morning in my trips around town.
As for gas, it's chilly today but the sun is coming out. I expect to smell the gas vapor if I go out to the car at noon.
I do have a Honda rep that has called me back... so at least now I have the attention of someone other than the dealership that is "stumped" yet has people overfilling crank-cases by a quart and leaving spilled oil on heat shields.

I'll post no more about this until I either feel Honda "is stumped" or "have taken action to find/fix the issues", and what they are and if they worked.

Thanks just posted this issue here as I thought they might have another batch of vehicles (I think they had vans) with fuel vapor leaks.

#16 ·
@dimitri:

The fact that the vapor smell is stronger when the sun is out tells me you might have a gas vent disconnected....good to you for calling Honda corporate and having them get involved....

About the dealership- your comment earlier about "professionals" at the dealership struck a cord with me. Usually, the oil change guys at the dealership are the lowest rung/newest guys with little training. Not the 15 year certified mechanics. These are the same guys that used to torque my lug nuts to 140 ft. pounds, instead of the 80 that the book calls for. I got so sick of this.

Please keep the thread updated as to what the findings are.

#17 ·
As promised here is my update, this note to my dealer/salesperson says it all.

"Hi Mike,
After a little more than a week with the correct oil level, the smell of "hot oil" seems to be gone! I have not experienced the "gasoline vapor" either.

Sad that the most basic service to one of "America's most popular cars" was bungled in a most basic way, wasting your, mine 2x, and the dealership's time in the end.

I'd print this out at take it over to service.
They siphoned off oil rather than dump and fill. I'm due for an oil change, but looks like I'll be doing it myself. (I've done about 100 changes myself now in my lifetime) had dealerships bungle 3 of them in one way or another in the past decade.

Cheers, and thanks for your good service, loving that "magic carpet" ride, and the fresh air again."

#19 ·
Hello everyone. I have a 2013 accord 4 cyl with 70 thousand miles. My gas mile has dropped significantly. am getting 17 mpg in the city & 22 mpg on the hwy. am use to 27/39. I took it to Honda twice and they say nothing is wrong with it, just our driving habits. My wife drives the car so i can't track when it started. It's not our driving and the car has always been service at Honda except for the brakes and things I can do. I am a DIY mechanic and can fix about anything on a Honda. but I have been mystified by this problem. I keep forgetting to check to oil but will do so toady. Am trying to convene my wife to now trade it in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.