Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

My Accord is a boring commuter car too.

11K views 74 replies 33 participants last post by  primetime 
#1 ·
Boring and slow.

#2 ·
So what, any car can burn rubber. If you don't mind wearing out your tires and placing un-necessary stress on all your moving parts which can't add to the longevity of the car.

#57 ·
#3 ·
I bought the tires to have fun with them.

Since any car can do a burnout, can you do one for me?

#4 ·
I remember thinking burnouts were cool and I remember trying to ask others to do burnouts ... when I was an immature 14 year old.

#9 ·
I guess you're proof that old habits die hard right?

Cool story.

Do all the burnouts you want on the drag strip, that's what it's for. But my question is, why stress out the engine and transmission on a new accord?
Not new any more. 2013 with 30,000 miles. I'm in NYC. A few runs at the strip are nothing compared to what I face on a monthly basis here

I'm learning more and more from you guys each day. Apparently only the immature do burnouts and go to racetracks.

Hmm.

#6 ·
da.net

Where doing a burnout equates to not being a boring commuter car....

#7 ·
Hold on let me start up a trunk tray thread.

Or a nice warranty discussion maybe...that fits the spirit of a typical discussion around here.

FYI burnouts are done to put heat in your tires and clean them. Not sure if these wonderful, careless commenters recognized it, but this vid is at a drag strip. Those are summer tires and I bought them with track duty in mind. Spare the comments about taking an Accord to a track because it's a slow family car. I had fun, it was fast, and it got a few wins.

If you don't understand the reasons why people go to race tracks, kindly forget this thread exists, thanks

#18 ·
But my question is, why stress out the engine and transmission on a new accord?
Why not? These things aren't made out of papiermache.

So many of the wet blankets around here are convinced all Accords are boring and we should just accept that and get back to arguing over what LEDs look best. Any car has potential if you look for it and exploit it, some have more from the get go than others if you buy the right bits and pieces.

Looking back, I guess the GTO was just another Tempest, the SS454 was just another Chevelle and the GTX was just another Satelite so the V6 Accord Coupe must be just another Accord. No one, and I mean NO ONE, is saying any version of a basically stock Accord can compete with many performance cars outside its segment and/or price range but that doesn't mean it can't represent the best of the breed for what it is and surprise a few others in either direction.

Is my Accord quicker or faster than my 2006 GTO? Not even close. Can it corner better than my fairly modified 2006 GTO? Sure can, by a nose at least. Is the Accord more fun to drive? No and yes, they are both fun to drive in their own ways. Why is that so hard to comprehend?

My brother has owned many and diverse cars throughout his life. Musclecars, sports cars, boring little coupes, boring big sedans, yet you know which one he wishes he had back? His 1978 Toyota Corolla hatchback 5-speed! Why? It was reliable, easy to drive, decent looking and best of all fun to drive. Was it lightning fast or did it corner on rails? Nope, IT WAS JUST FUN.

This post has been deleted
#20 ·
I'm learning more and more from you guys each day. Apparently only the immature do burnouts and go to racetracks.

Hmm.
You aint hurting one by doing something you enjoy. Its your money you can do as you please. Let em rip!

#10 ·
Keep lighting 'em up! I'm sure you've learned quite a bit with your track experience. I've been meaning to head out to my local drag strip just to be an observer for once and experience for myself. I'm sure there's all sorts of stuff to appreciate and learn from.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
I miss the old days when forums like these were fun, and most threads were at least interesting to read through. People actually shared interesting DIY mods and maintenance tips. They actually took their cars to the dyno to see how much power they really got from their performance mods instead of just trusting the manufacturer's often-bloated numbers. They took their cars to the track, shared their experiences, and discovered new tricks on how to improve their times. And they shared videos of their races and burnouts because it was fun (well, on another forum I belonged to in the past that wasn't as uptight as this one). Unfortunately, those days are gone.

Nowadays, it seems like every other thread is dedicated to bitching about the CVT, or how the V6 is a gas-guzzling hog and the I4 is so much better, or "When should I change my oil?", not to mention the many "I got into an accident today, FML" threads we see on a daily basis. And that's just in the main 9th Gen section of the forums. When we delve into the lighting sub-forum, we find a million threads asking "which 10,000W 10-million K HID kit should I buy to blind the Jeepers! out of oncoming traffic with when I install them in my halogen projectors and fog lights?" Or better yet, "What LED bulb will magically make my I4 headlights look like V6 headlights?" What's worse is that while there are still a few of us who actually try to share information on doing things the right way (such as an HID retrofit in lieu of a plug and play HID kit in halogen projectors), we're usually drowned out by the ignoramuses who greatly out-number us and spout nothing but misinformation. And it seems that everyone wants to be spoon-fed information rather than to actually take the time to use the search function and find it for themselves.

That said, there's still lots of good information to be found in this forum, it's just buried beneath a sea of nonsense. Unfortunately, it's just going to sink deeper and deeper as time passes and all I can do is watch.

Sorry for the rant. I'm done.

#15 ·
Quite frankly, I miss those days too. This place really changed..

#16 ·
That's nice and all that, but what kind of trunk tray do you have :)

Reactions: Graycar
#19 · (Edited by Moderator)
I say tear it up! Have fun, GOLLY! it's YOUR car, do whatever the hell you want with it. Light the thing on fire, launch it off a cliff, you bought it! Hollywood destroys automobiles all the time just for a scene in a movie. Who cares what a guy wants to do with his personal property?

At least you're at the drag strip having your fun, and not in some parking lot or residential area where someone could get hurt.

More power to you!

#24 ·
Wow. Do you go back in time when you hit 88 mph in that thing?

#25 ·
HOW DARE YOU!

How dare you do whatever you want to do with your tires and your car and on a drag strip away from road hazards and omg the fuel! Dont you know this is a car to go from A to B! I mean, really man! Where is the sense! Dont you know cars are just for you to sit back in and go places! How dare you have a smile on your face when you shift from 1st to 2nd! How dare you be happy with you downshift for a turn!

Shame on you!

You should be ashamed that you bought an accord and enjoy it! You should go ask forgiveness at the local Acura dealer! Why?! because SH-AWD i dont know! And dont even think about telling your friends about your new mods!

I am disgusted with you!

Now go put on some beethoven, color your hair grey and drive 20 below the speed limit just so you dont even come close to give the impression that you might enjoy the car you bought!

God forbid the people at Honda ever find out. They will be mortified!

Ok, thats about as much I can come up with. But I think thats a pretty colorful picture.

BTW. @RickBlaine

Those edits are awesome.

#26 ·
HOW DARE YOU!

How dare you do whatever you want to do with your tires and your car and on a drag strip away from road hazards and omg the fuel! Dont you know this is a car to go from A to B! I mean, really man! Where is the sense! Dont you know cars are just for you to sit back in and go places! How dare you have a smile on your face when you shift from 1st to 2nd! How dare you be happy with you downshift for a turn!

Shame on you!

You should be ashamed that you bought an accord and enjoy it! You should go ask forgiveness at the local Acura dealer! Why?! because SH-AWD i dont know! And dont even think about telling your friends about your new mods!

I am disgusted with you!

Now go put on some beethoven, color your hair grey and drive 20 below the speed limit just so you dont even come close to give the impression that you might enjoy the car you bought!

God forbid the people at Honda ever find out. They will be mortified!

Ok, thats about as much I can come up with. But I think thats a pretty colorful picture.
I have behaved very poorly and I must be punished for my actions.

I will punish myself.

No VTEC for the rest of the weekend :(

#28 ·
Burnouts like that aren't really necessary at the drag strip but I guess one could use that excuse. Keep us updated on how your automatic transmission holds up to repeated burnouts of that nature. You'll be my benchmark, however long yours holds up mine will hold up longer!

The members of the forum make and judge the content here. You gotta be open to criticism. You can't just ban people here for not agreeing that your burnout is awesome.

#30 ·
Jeez, what a lesson THIS was. All the snarky comments are total b.s. ScarletExpress had fun. If that annoys you, go read the funny papers.

#31 ·
Scarlet Express and others campaigned for a "Performance" forum, where those of a similar mindset can post their particular "performance" preferences without much, if any, critical comment. They got their Performance forum, where there is universal back-slapping and high fiving for what is being criticized here in the General Discussion forum.

My question is......

Why not just keep this stuff in the Performance forum, and avoid the criticism, conflict, drama, and aggravation?

#33 ·
The 9th gen v6 coupe will run a 14.0 with great driving and perfect shifts and will go from 0-60mph in about 5.6 seconds.

With full bolt ons and tune it can run low 13's.

Low 13's are not fast by today's standards, and 4 door sedans running low 14's are not fast either. What is considered fast by today's standards is typically 11 seconds and lower.

A 13 was considered fast back in the late 90's. Yes, the late 90's back when SN95 v8 Mustang GT's were a whopping 220 hp.....

#36 ·
Scarlett,
You are right about a burnout being nothing compared to driving around NYC.... I am dating myself (sshhhh...):smile, but I remember when a high 13, low 14 second quarter mile was considered fast, and that was during the muscle car era of the late 60's, early 70's. The fact that my boring commuter car can do a 14 second quarter mile is amazing, at least to me. I had friends who owned Plymouth GTX's or six-pack 440 RoadRunners who would kill for a high 13, at the track..

#56 ·
Scarlett,

You are right about a burnout being nothing compared to driving around NYC.... I am dating myself (sshhhh...):smile, but I remember when a high 13, low 14 second quarter mile was considered fast, and that was during the muscle car era of the late 60's, early 70's. The fact that my boring commuter car can do a 14 second quarter mile is amazing, at least to me. I had friends who owned Plymouth GTX's or six-pack 440 RoadRunners who would kill for a high 13, at the track..
Exactly, a 14 sec 1/4 time WAS (past tense) considered fast, but now it's not. If I'm trying to make a case for an accord not being "boring" I'm certainly not going to try and justify this by showing a video of a burnout or a trip down the track. I would talk about other features of the car instead. Just accept the car for what it is, a 4 door v6 sedan that runs high 13's / low 14's.

If I feel like going fast in a straight line on a particular day, I simply pick up a different set of keys and proceed to drive my 10 second 1/4 mile full weight, full interior STREET car that runs on 93 octane and gets 22 mpg on the highway. The car was built so that if I want to drive it 20+ hours to a track event and then turn a 10 second pass, I can easily do so without making any adjustment to the car whatsoever.

Every car belongs in a certain class, and I'm afraid some of our members on here a just a little bit confused as to were the 9th gen accord falls at exactly. It may be a lot of things, but fast is not one of them.

#39 ·
Honda Accord Sport 6MT.....

A 0-60 time of 6.6 seconds in the midsize family sedan segment is NOT slow.

What other 4-cylinder car in that segment is faster? A: None.

For those who think that old mantra, Can't we all just get along, has some merit in preventing conflict and contentious discussions, try this....

Go to the Performance forum and start an Anti-Tampering (emissions equipment and controls) thread.

Let us know how that works out.

Edited to add.....

Before you do this, it might be helpful to research the following topic:

How to remove tar and feathers from the human body. ;)

#43 ·
I was going to the mall today. A genesis for some lovely reason zipped by and flashed hazards [I found out what that means a couple weeks ago]. I looked around and then said "NO! I must not rev my stove that high! It is a wonderful appliance!" So i turned on auto climate control and accelerated easily.

#47 ·
To Fury:

From Graycar. Regards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.