Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Replacement Windshields: OEM (AGC) vs Aftermarket (PGW)

59K views 58 replies 18 participants last post by  MartyV6 
#1 ·
To keep this short, there's a crack on my windshield.
Called state farm for a replacement because the crack was longer than 6 inches and they said they only cover aftermarket windshields. If I were to go with OEM windshields, I would have to cover the difference (about a $500 difference, on top of my $250 deductible)

The OEM windshield is AGC, and the aftermarket they are offering is PGW. I did notice that PGW provided the side door windows on the Honda Accord, as well as the Honda Civic. Are PGW windshields acceptable for a replacement windshield? or should I pay 750$ to get get OEM windshields?

(Aftermarket) http://www.pgwglass.com/products/Pages/Vehicles.aspx
(OEM) AGC Automotive - Laminated Glass <LAMISAFE>

#2 ·
I'd find a new insurance company.

Back to your question.....I'd go with aftermarket but that is just me. My luck would be that I'd spend the extra cash on an OEM windshield only to get a chip within a month.

Now body/interior parts are another story. I only go with OEM to due to crappy fitment of aftermarket parts.

#4 ·
#5 ·
I too have State Farm and I too had a windshield replaced last year. It was free. State Farm told me that it was at no cost to me- my rates did not go up, nor was there a deductible.

Ask your State Farm agent specifically if there is a cost to you. I can't imagine you having the minimum coverage only- your car is new, not 15 years old. I think perhaps you just called and asked a "general" question.

But yes, if I wanted "Honda OEM" stamped on the windshield, it was going to cost me $150 more than the PGW I did get.

By the way, installation procedure and proper sealant is FAR more important than the difference (if any) between those two windshields. The passenger air bag counts on a properly installed windshield to work properly. It creates a back stop. If the replacement windshield popped out when the airbag deployed, then the air bag would not protect as designed.

#6 ·
I was the member who went through the aftermarket windshield drama with a Honda dealer's body shop. Even though the aftermarket one looked the same, the LDW system couldn't be aimed properly. The insurance company offered to pay to replace the aftermarket one the dealer installed but they refused to give the insurance company the discount. A letter to the dealer's GM along with the Honda Service letter did the trick. Now the LDW works correctly. If you don't have an LX or an EX then it doesn't matter since they don't have the LDW.

#12 ·
Same issue with rain sensor wipers - my father had this issue on his BMW and Mercedes vehicles. You have to get the OE windshield, but of course it requires a lot of persuasion to get the insurance company to pay.

All the insurance companies are such a joke when it comes to this stuff. Your $356/6 months sounds nice for insurance though! I pay double that here in Canada. Mine is $1400/year, and that's a good deal. I don't know anyone that pays under $1,000 with collision and comprehensive here.

#7 ·
@Flyboy: Excellent post! I remember that drama now. Thank you for pointing out what matters.

Unfortunately, member "Huang" did not give those details here. Since he created 4 threads but never came back to any of those threads, I don't know if we will find out what kind of car he has.

#10 ·
what auto insurance do you guys suggest? I've stayed with statefarm because they give me a great rate for full coverage, but if there's one that gives oem parts and better claims, I would switch.

100/300/50 - 151
uninsured motor vehicle- 14
uninsured motor property - 1
comp (250 deductible) - 30
collision (250) - 140
10000 medical - 20

6 month premium: 356

#11 ·
I don't much care for State Farm but that's based on decades ago background. USAA and Travelers both have good claims service and rates.

Irrespective....the bias against some things OEM, like glass, is based on exorbitant mfg's pricing relative to at least as good aftermarket. PPG glass most likely better than Honda's stock stuff.

Unfortunately, there are sometimes one-off issues. Like this LDW not working with other than the OEM windshield bit that complicates things. I'd suspect that if you care to explain and push the issue it wouldn't be impossible to resolve.

Personally, after a month or two of entertainment, I found LDW's rudimentary behavior and shortcomings to be most annoying and turned the stupid thing off. So, I'd welcome a better glass in lieu of LDW functionality.

This certainly isn't an issue I'd ditch a good, long term relationship with an insurance carrier over.

#14 ·
guys - hello again

I came home from vacation to find about 2 solid inches of ice on my accord. Heavy stuff and so I turned on the car and cranked the heat for awhile to help loosen it. It came off in big heavy sheets.

Unfortunately I now find a nice 3 foot long meandering crack in the lower part of the windshield. Maybe was there to begin with due to the weight of the ice or maybe was due to heating the windshield with ice on it. Dunno, doesn't really matter. I need a new windshield.

SO, I have State Farm but have 500 deduct and I don't even think I have glass coverage. So I'm paying out of pocket it appears.

I got an online quote from Safelite website for $370 or so. Was less than I had guessed. It did ask me whether my car had a lane departure system. Everything is closed today so hard for me to know what to do. I assume $370 is not OEM glass.

Is aftermarket PPG fine?

I don't use LDW - have turned it off since the moment I took delivery of this car.

Hard to believe that the FCW can't work with any glass that doesn't have a Honda label on it right?

Also does anyone have any advice on best place to get this done? There is a local guy here who is mobile and gets good ratings. He did a chip repair for me a few months ago. However I'm not sure I like the idea of some dude putting in a new windshield in my 2 year old car in my driveway in January in Chicago. My gut just is telling me NO. I feel like I gotta go to a shop indoors....

Safelite is best? Gerber Collision and Glass? Allstar? Do I just shop these bigger guys by price and hope for the best? Obviously I'm pissed beyond hope but I've come to accept this hiccup in life and I just want to pay my money and have a windshield that doesn't leak.

Do I just ask each place what manufacturer of glass I will get installed? Any other sage advice?

#16 ·
guys - hello again

I came home from vacation to find about 2 solid inches of ice on my accord. Heavy stuff and so I turned on the car and cranked the heat for awhile to help loosen it. It came off in big heavy sheets.

Unfortunately I now find a nice 3 foot long meandering crack in the lower part of the windshield.
Same happened to my 2007. Dealer told me that if there was no evidence of any of impact, they could ask Honda to cover it under warranty. Unfortunately they showed me a small chip that they say allowed it to crack.
Also all insurance companies are different. Mine would pay for OEM if the car was 2 years old or less.

#15 ·
I've had Safelite come twice to replace a windshield in an Odysssy and a chip in a Crv. Was very satisfied both times. For the Odyssey they used a windshield made by Pilkington. They were very professtional and I asked a million questions which they were happy to answer. I didn't know about the O.E. glass requirement at the time.

I've seen a local outfit replace a windshield in my neighbor's BMW, they even used a sawsall, no issues.

For January in Chicago, I believe that they have install centers.

#21 ·
Most dealers do not install glass, they refer you to the people they use, or they bring somebody local on site to do the work. There are special tools and equipment dealers will not invest in. I replaced my wife's acoustic glass windshield on her Jeep GC with rain senor wipers at a local shop, the one the dealer uses and sent me to. They knew her windshield was not the standard glass, so a good shop should know the LDW sensor placement and refraction needs are met by the manufacturer. I prefer the shop install versus mobile on site. It also seems the local shops are better than Safelite. I have had issues with installs at their shops on previous Hondas. PGW and Pikington are not available through Safelite. Safelite uses Chinese glass suppliers. They are excellent for chip repair. Most insurance companies are locked with Safelite, but you can still go to a local shop and get an OEM supplier's version of the windshield.

As for glass, there is always debate over OEM and replacement. On the Jeep forum, they are hung up on where the glass is made. You can check here to find the best OEM match: DOT number search: DOT Number Database

#23 ·
Most dealers do not install glass, they refer you to the people they use, or they bring somebody local on site to do the work. There are special tools and equipment dealers will not invest in. I replaced my wife's acoustic glass windshield on her Jeep GC with rain senor wipers at a local shop, the one the dealer uses and sent me to. They knew her windshield was not the standard glass, so a good shop should know the LDW sensor placement and refraction needs are met by the manufacturer. I prefer the shop install versus mobile on site. It also seems the local shops are better than Safelite. I have had issues with installs at their shops on previous Hondas. PGW and Pikington are not available through Safelite. Safelite uses Chinese glass suppliers. They are excellent for chip repair. Most insurance companies are locked with Safelite, but you can still go to a local shop and get an OEM supplier's version of the windshield.

As for glass, there is always debate over OEM and replacement. On the Jeep forum, they are hung up on where the glass is made. You can check here to find the best OEM match: DOT number search: DOT Number Database
Honda has issued a Service Letter advising that the LDW and other camera based functions may not operate correctly due to aiming problems. If the car doesn't have these functions then you are correct and an aftermarket windshield may be fine. In my case, the camera could not be accurately aimed with an aftermarket windshield.

A quote from the URL you posted:

OEM: an OEM windshield is going to be identical to the windshield that your car came with when it was brand new. Due to the fact that car manufacturers switch between different auto glass makers all the time, your new windshield might have to be manufactured by a different auto glass company (but it will be made to the exact same specification as the original).

Aftermarket: an aftermarket windshield is a windshield that has been produced by a third-party auto glass manufacturer not related to the auto maker who built your car. These third-party manufacturers do not follow the same specifications and guidelines as OEM auto glass makers, which makes buying/using their products a bit of a gamble, so to speak.

#29 ·
I had one replaced in my driveway several years ago and the one technician had a big handle with a big suction cup on each end. Once he attached the suction cups to the glass he could easily place it on the car.

#31 ·
Just had the windshield replaced on my Ridgeline...Honda dealer outsourced it to another company, which I was fine with...was going to go with Safelite but the dealer covered part of the cost (mainly because they fixed the chip to begin with when I bought the truck used). The glass says AGC automotive...they did a great job on the window, can't even tell it was done...one tip about safelite too, check other zip codes for a quote...the city next to me was $100 lower...also, if you take it to a shop, it can save you $29 mobile fee.
Not sure about Fuyao glass quality, but they are about 10 miles up the road from me :)

#35 ·
@marty: This may be a few days late, but call your State Farm dude and ask specifically if they cover glass. Mine was covered on my 2005 Accord last year- I don't pay extra for windshield replacement....it was 100% free, no raising premiums or anything.

Get it done indoors- the sealant will NOT work when it is this cold out....ask for prices depending on glass manufacturer.

#36 ·
@marty: This may be a few days late, but call your State Farm dude and ask specifically if they cover glass. Mine was covered on my 2005 Accord last year- I don't pay extra for windshield replacement....it was 100% free, no raising premiums or anything.

Get it done indoors- the sealant will NOT work when it is this cold out....ask for prices depending on glass manufacturer.
That's not entirely true (Speaking from experience working for safelite I cant speak for other companies on that). While it is a much better idea to have it done in a controlled environment with a warmer temperature the glass will set even in the cold but it will take much longer. That could have changed since working there but if you end up getting it replaced in the cold don't fear the technician will give you a good adjusted guideline on how long it will take to be drivable.

I have many memories of going out in the cold replacing autoglass... don't miss that...

#37 ·
There are two very different kinds of aftermarket glass. Lets call it 'the good stuff' and 'the cheap stuff'.

Look on your windshield where it says Honda, underneath that is the name of the glass manufacturer. Have the aftermarket people use that glass, and you will get better glass. Leave it up to them, and you will get the cheaper glass, at maybe not that much of a cheaper price.

#40 ·
@ Rick, Tanner, etc

I have "a guy" who will do it for less than 250, and Safelite or other brands are more like 375-400. All the places told me that mobile is not a problem, especially when the temps are in the 30s-40s which they will be here. Apparently the urethanes are "good down to zero degrees"

Now, all that said, I agree with the gut feel that it would be better not to have them drop in a windshield when it is 18 degrees and then drive it around 2 hours later.

Having it sit indoors for 48 hours is surely safe but probably overkill

I'm feeling like it is better to save 125 to 150 bucks and maybe let my car sit for a couple days. "The guy" is mobile only and doesn't have a shop. I don't have a heated garage.

"The guy" is doing Pilkington on my request. I'm not sure that I can specify Pilkington if I go through Safelite, or at least not at their internet quoted price of $375. I do generally like the idea of going to a "big shop" where they have "lots of tools" although obviously all of these glass companies do a million mobile jobs so it can't be that risky?

As to the comment about State Farm, currently my comprehensive deductible is 500 so it makes no sense to use insurance. I am now debating whether it is worth about 18-20 dollars per year, per car, to bring my comp deductibles down to zero. Yes the knee-jerk is YES OF COURSE although if I think through my actual usage of comprehensive claims, it is low or nonexistent. 40 bucks a year, then I guess my breakeven is if I use one claim every 12 years. Seems like one might do that.....but then again I haven't.....but then again newer windshields are thinner......

Do y'all run with zero deductible comps?

Also I can't find it on their website but it seemed that State Farm had a separate category of "glass coverage" which was extra. Or maybe they switched it back now. This was last year when I was checking due to a chip in my Odyssey

Also @Tanner - "the guy" says that the glass is immediately waterproof (ie it is not a curing issue in terms of waterproof but more of a strength issue. He says the adhesive cannot touch water before the glass is applied because the adhesive will skin over and not work properly, but once it is properly stuck to the glass, it's not as if the glass will leak in the first 24 hours if exposed to moisture. It still needs to harden in terms of having the adhesive cure and finish setting up. Is that consistent with your knowledge?

#51 ·
Do y'all run with zero deductible comps?
I have a glass rider on my policy that has $0 deduct for replacement. The rest of my Comp and Collision has a $500 deduct. I get a chip or crack all I do is make a phone call and I get a window. A claim has never caused my rates to go up either. Its literally $3/mo for this rider. A no brainer i'n my mind.

Edit: I went back and looked, Its $12/yr for this rider.

Jay

#41 ·
Double check your coverage...some states, if you carry comprehensive, they are required to waive that fee, my state unfortunately isn't one, but there are a few

#42 ·
Also @Tanner - "the guy" says that the glass is immediately waterproof (ie it is not a curing issue in terms of waterproof but more of a strength issue. He says the adhesive cannot touch water before the glass is applied because the adhesive will skin over and not work properly, but once it is properly stuck to the glass, it's not as if the glass will leak in the first 24 hours if exposed to moisture. It still needs to harden in terms of having the adhesive cure and finish setting up. Is that consistent with your knowledge?[/QUOTE]

that is correct, the adhesive cannot be applied properly to a wet surface. It usually takes several hours for the adhesive to cure/set and that can depend on temperature and climate. Id say if the guy has a good reputation go for it! That being said I have seen many many crappy jobs done on glass and a sloppy instillation of autoglass can lead to many pains down the road (Structural damage to the car, damage to the interior, damage to you, damage to your wallet lol) But again if you know the guy well and he has the proper tools/knowledge and most importantly experience go for it. Im all for supporting local business. :thmsup:

#43 ·
He has good ratings. He also appears to know what is involved with the LDW system (unclipping the camera unit and then reclipping it to the new windshield.)

If I were gonna save 25 bucks I probably wouldn't bother, but for this much savings it seems worth the risk.

Any sense on how long is reasonable between selecting zero deductible comp and actually using it without them calling BS? I'm sort of thinking I just eat this one as it is only $250 and then select zero deductible for the future.

#44 ·
Uh well I honestly don't feel comfortable giving you financial advice. I will say good luck with the replacement and let me know if you have any more questions about the technical stuff! :thmsup:

#49 ·
He claims 1000 windshields a year. Seems a bit optimistic to me as that would be like 4 per day but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. He has a lot of good reviews. I figure the worst thing he can do is somehow screw it up so badly that I need to go to Safelite and have them redo everything, in which case I'm out the 250 that he charged. However I'm thinking the probability is on my side that he is competent enough to drop in a new windshield properly so I'll take the risk. He did a chip repair for me last year and it seemed to go fine.

#57 ·
FWIW this is the place that did it for me.

Home | Liberty AutoGlass LLC

The window broke on Friday evening at 6pm. We needed to travel the following Tuesday. I called ins Friday night, they said their firm has 48 hour turn around to install so I gave it a shot because I did not even know who to call local to me as I've never had to had a windscreen replaced here. Saturday morning they called me and got all the specifics, told me they had the window in stock and would install Monday afternoon. And, if I used their person it had a lifetime install guarantee. What do I have to lose?

Two days later I got a call from the glass co and the insurance co to make sure I was happy with everything. Nice, huh?

Jay

#59 ·
Tanner - finally got the install over the weekend (we had to scuttle an earlier appt due to rain/moisture in the air)

Guy seemed knowledgeable and was obviously moonlighting from one of the larger companies since he had their truck.

He did have the true Pilkington windshield that I requested. Importantly it had the exact same LDW brackets etc already installed on the glass, so he simply unclipped the LDW mirror and then clipped it back up onto the new unit. Has exact same black markings on windshield etc - just not the "Honda H"

His install seems good

I haven't driven the car yet. I plan to today. It was about 28 when he installed and then dropped yesterday to frigid (single digits and actually minus 2 this morning as I type this). My big worry is cure time but he claims he used the stuff that is OK down to zero degrees. I didn't look to see the brand that he used for urethane. He said it had a 30 min driveaway time but then also agreed with me that it would be better to let it sit overnight. I had the car in the garage when he installed and have now left it sit all day Sunday and into Monday morning. Even though the garage is detached, I've found on sunny days like we had, the shingles warm up and so the temps inside the garage were hopefully warmer than the single digits outside yesterday.

Assuming I didn't somehow screw this up by doing it in cold temps, I'm happy with the install and definitely satisfied with the price of around $225 plus tax. I gave a cash tip to the installer too - not sure of the protocols there but figured it was cold out and he was friendly and seemed to do a good job

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.