Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Clutch clicking

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  sashko 
#1 ·
I have a new 2016 Sport 6 Spd, just over 1000 miles now. I got it with less than 20 on the odometer. About 300-400 miles into it, I started to either notice it or it developed a click half way on the clutch, both on the way down and up. It can also be heard when the car is off along with feeling it. I looked under and it is the interlock switch that is doing it when the pedal is pushing it in and out. It is driving me INSANE! It doesn't help I have slight to moderate OCD when it comes to cars. Yesterday I got under the car again and I noticed another damn click, this one is after the interlock switch click, the second one is near the bottom of the pedal travel. I went to two different Honda dealers to have it looked at, first one said it was normal, second one said we don't know (!!!...) - they said we don't have another one like it to look against it and we just don't know. Do any of you have this same thing? The clutch works fine, it's still new so it has to but these clicks are driving me crazy.

#2 ·
The age of your car makes me think this is impossible, but ... worn Honda clutch cylinders can feel like what you're describing, with the clicking on depressing and releasing the clutch. They will continue to work but they will be extremely annoying (you aren't the only one who's OCD). I've had four of them changed on various Hondas and I think what you are describing is exactly what they feel like.

I'm a little surprised the dealer wouldn't recognize it but they too wouldn't be expecting a brand new car to have a worn clutch cylinder. And it probably isn't worn, just a new one out of spec.

Having said that, car problems are often misdiagnosed on the internet LOL - but keep going to the dealer and they will eventually diagnose it correctly and fix it.

#3 ·
Yeah the switch clicks
The one that is making the noise is the first one (for the cruise control)

The second one (when you push the clutch to the floor) is the one that allows the starter to engage

So you get two clicks ... top of travel and bottom of travel

Without the underdash covers these make noise ...
I wrapped mine (the first one) in sound insulation and I cant hear it any more
The second switch does not bother me

#4 ·
Sound is one thing, I can't hear it once I'm over 2-3K RPMs but I can very much feel it and that pisses me off just the same if not more. I'm afraid the sound insulation won't change the click I feel on my foot.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Whichever way the dealer decides, make sure it's documented and you keep the invoice from the shop that states clearly the issue. If it fails later, outside of warranty, you will be able to claim that the failure was first diagnosed under warranty. Which should get it repaired for free.

#9 ·
I'm not worried about the interlock switch noise--if that bugs you just bug Honda until they replace it. The more potentially concerning noise is the click that occurs beyond the interlock switch engagement point and deeper into the pedal travel.

Keep an eye on it. It could be nothing, or you could have a prematurely failing clutch master cylinder. If it starts to get worse or starts creaking, bring it back in.

There tend to be two failure modes on these types of parts--very early in the cars life (manufacturing defect) or just wear and tear (you'll see this in the hundreds of thousands of miles).

#11 ·
There tend to be two failure modes on these types of parts--very early in the cars life (manufacturing defect) or just wear and tear (you'll see this in the hundreds of thousands of miles).
Had one go on a 2003 Accord at about 4,000 km - replaced under warranty.

Had one go on a 2004 TSX (owned since new) at about 95,000 km. Talked to Acura Customer Service and said "my car feels like a Kia, not an Acura - except if it was a Kia, this would still be under warranty". Replaced under goodwill by Acura.

#10 ·
To add to what cournot said, I had a click out of the pedal in my '03, and I got a needle fitting for my grease gun and gave it a quick shot on the shaft under the dash where it goes into the master cylinder. That was about 40k ago, with no more clicking.

Just an idea if it bugs you and Honda can't do anything.

#13 ·
I also have a very slight pop/click felt through the pedal in the middle of travel (more noticeable when pushing it very slowly) in my 2015 Sport 6MT. First noticed a week or so after I bought it. I'm sure it's not the switches, as it can be felt when pushing the pedal and holding the top switch in by hand. Regardless, two dealers said everything felt normal. I chalked it up to car OCD and have been fine so far with no changes in clutch feel or operation for 8000+ miles. Pretty much used to it by now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.