USB Drive For Music - Lessons Learned - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 02-14-2016, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Go Mountaineers !

Garage
USB Drive For Music - Lessons Learned

I've had my 2016 Accord Touring for a few months now and have made several longs trips. Being able to have my entire music library on a thumb drive has been great with a few exceptions.
1 - Some songs "disappear" when the thumb drive is inserted. I'm pretty sure I figured this one out today. Looks like each mp3 file name is limited to around 64 characters. In one folder I have 154 mp3 files but only 149 were showing up in the display. Each one of the missing mp3s file name was greater than 64 chars. After shortening the file name they all showed up.
2 - Songs do not appear in the same order as in the thumb drive folder on my pc. I've been prefixing each file with a number (01,02,...) to control the play order. Turns out when you exceed 100 mp3 files all files must use a 3 character number prefix (001, 002, ...) or the order is messed up.
3- I think it helps if the mp3 tags are consistent for all files in each folder. I use MP3TAG to make sure the fields for Artist and Album are consistent.
I'm using a SanDisk Cruzer 32 GB drive for this. No special formatting. Used it out of the box as is. I'd be interested in hearing about other discoveries made in this area.

sub786 and Merc6 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to TomFromMo For This Useful Post:
Merc6 (03-12-2017)
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 02-14-2016, 06:11 AM
Just Do It

i still can't make my car recognize the usb with music. Can you put the steps on how you created the usb stick? Folder method not working for me at all or what other forums have suggested.

Current:
2015 Honda Accord EX Coupe i4 AT 19k miles
San Marino Red
Previous:
2013 Honda accord EX Coupe i4 16k miles
Modern Steel Metallic
2011 Mazda Mazda3 i Touring 71k miles
Alabaster Silver
NJ, USA
post #3 of 48 Old 02-14-2016, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
Go Mountaineers !

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by argen234 View Post
i still can't make my car recognize the usb with music. Can you put the steps on how you created the usb stick? Folder method not working for me at all or what other forums have suggested.
I don't do anything special. All folders are at the top (root level) of the thumb drive. For example one folder is:

Doobie Brothers - My Favorites (within this folder are the mp3s below)
01 - Need A Little Taste Of Love - Doobie Brothers.mp3
02 - Long Train Running - Doobie Brothers.mp3
03 - Without You - Doobie Brothers.mp3
04 - Listen To The Music - Doobie Brothers.mp3
05 - South City Midnight Lady - Doobie Brothers.mp3
06 - Neal's Fandango - Doobie Brothers.mp3
07 - I Cheat The Hangman - Doobie Brothers.mp3
08 - Nobody - Doobie Brothers.mp3
09 - Down In The Track - Doobie Brothers.mp3
10 - Dangerous - Doobie Brothers.mp3
11 - This Train I'm On - Doobie Brothers.mp3
12 - Sweet Maxine - Doobie Brothers.mp3
13 - You Just Can't Stop It - Doobie Brothers.mp3
14 - South Of The Border - Doobie Brothers.mp3
15 - Precis - Doobie Brothers.mp3
16 - Rainy Day Crossroad Blues - Doobie Brothers.mp3
17 - Music Man - Doobie Brothers.mp3
18 - Dark Eyed Cajun Woman - Doobie Brothers.mp3
19 - Clear As The Driven Snow - Doobie Brothers.mp3
I use any number of free s/w tools to rip the tracks from my cd's. You can use Windows Media Player (not my favorite) I think the one I use most is FreeRIP MP3. I stage all the folders on my pc's hard drive and then drag and drop to the thumb drive. I have found that if you have updated an existing folder it pays to first delete it from the thumb drive before copying the updated folder over to the thumb drive - I have no idea why. Hope this helps.
Merc6 likes this.

post #4 of 48 Old 02-14-2016, 06:36 AM
4th Gear

Good info Tom. I use the USB drive for my German lessons. Never have used it for music. It's been a learning process trying to organize them on the drive and have them show up the same order in the car. Somehow it always wants to shuffle everything around. It shows them in folders too that don't show when I look at it on the computer.

Overall the system works good. I always laugh because they have really long numbers attached to them for some reason and the car will read the numbers as they come up, "onetrilliontwohundredfiftyfivebillionfourhundreds ixtytwomillion......." in the lady's computer voice.

F1snob
'13 Accord Touring Black
2009 E92 335i Xdrive JB4 Tune
'06 6-speed Sedan with NAV Gone but not forgotten
'96 Accord EX-L 5-speed
Too many other cars to list
post #5 of 48 Old 02-14-2016, 06:37 AM
5th Gear

All i do is create a playlist in Itunes then create a folder on the USB flash drive and drag all the songs in the playlist on Itunes into the folder. I open Itunes and windows explorer side by side on the computer screen and then highlight all the songs in the playlist and drag and drop. They copy onto the USB flashdrive and in the same order they were in Itunes. The only problem is when you want to add songs to the USB and would like them at the top of the list. I delete the songs from the flashdrive and recopy all the songs into the folder from Itunes so they will be in the order i want.

2015 Black Accord Coupe EX-L / NAV / v6 / Automatic / 20% tint / HID Headlights / LED Fogs / LED Interior
post #6 of 48 Old 02-14-2016, 06:44 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
My drive is, I think, SanDisk brand. It's black with the Batman logo on it in yellow. I just leave my drive stuck in the unit, never had problems with files "disappearing".

My Sony unit categorizes them by artist, then album, by itself. I usually have it set to shuffle 99% of the time so I don't care about the order, but if I hit a song from an album I like I just turn shuffle off and turn on "repeat - album" so it doesn't go to any other album.

Almost all of my files are WMA, if that helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan, 2.3L F23A4, 140K, liquid wrapped jet black

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe, 3.8L 3800-II, 120K, sebring silver

, 2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan, 2.2 L 2200, 135K, sandrift metallic
post #7 of 48 Old 02-14-2016, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
Go Mountaineers !

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
All i do is create a playlist in Itunes then create a folder on the USB flash drive and drag all the songs in the playlist on Itunes into the folder. I open Itunes and windows explorer side by side on the computer screen and then highlight all the songs in the playlist and drag and drop. They copy onto the USB flashdrive and in the same order they were in Itunes. The only problem is when you want to add songs to the USB and would like them at the top of the list. I delete the songs from the flashdrive and recopy all the songs into the folder from Itunes so they will be in the order i want.
Thanks ! That's two methods that work. I know nothing about Itunes. I'm a dinosaur that learned DOS on a dual floppy PC - LOL. I still tend to work via the command line sometimes.
post #8 of 48 Old 02-14-2016, 08:05 AM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to vasekvi Send a message via Yahoo to vasekvi
One thing to consider, I had weird issues with my last car (Infiniti) having music stored on flash memory. Tracks would disappear or not show up at all, some tracks would freeze in the middle of playing them. It boiled down to the fact that I was syncing folders of music from a folder that I had synchronized with Google Drive.

Lesson learned if anyone is using Google Drive, just manually copy the files to your flash drive.

Just putting that out there. I have yet to use the USB in my accord I've only had it a couple weeks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

My 2003 SSM Sedan Build Thread

post #9 of 48 Old 02-14-2016, 09:28 AM
4th Gear

I use an iPod Classic and none of the issues shown have been present on the iPod. I did use a Sandisk flash at one time and saw what you are talking about. Switched to the iPod and no problems ever again. Used iPod on 4 different cars, and all worked flawlessly. Neighbor had issues with flash drive on his Chevy. Bought a inexpensive MP3 player and no more issues. You might consider getting/using a MP3 player instead of flash.

2016 Touring Coupe
Deep Blue Opal Metallic
post #10 of 48 Old 02-14-2016, 10:14 AM
5th Gear

I agree with the iPod comment above but Honda forgot to put a USB connection in the center console for some crazy reason. I hate having the iPod setting out for all to see and hate the USB cable connected to it and to the connector. Why in the world did they over look this little device..lol.. Clearly they seen the over sight because they added it back to the 2016 and the 2011 had it as well.

2015 Black Accord Coupe EX-L / NAV / v6 / Automatic / 20% tint / HID Headlights / LED Fogs / LED Interior
post #11 of 48 Old 02-14-2016, 10:30 AM
2nd Gear

There is a limit of to how many files can go into a folder. Don't recall the number but if you put 99 in each folder you problem will go away. Some decks don't show numbers past 99 and if they do, then you may have problems.

In a Fat system the max is 256. But, the decks have only a little amount of mem so add that along with the mem needed to display the song title, etc, something has to give.

Try the 99 per folder and see how that works.
post #12 of 48 Old 02-14-2016, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Go Mountaineers !

Garage
The most I have in one folder is 154 and all show up now that I've fixed the file name length problem. For fun I may add more to exceed 256 to see what happens.
post #13 of 48 Old 02-14-2016, 11:33 AM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
I agree with the iPod comment above but Honda forgot to put a USB connection in the center console for some crazy reason. I hate having the iPod setting out for all to see and hate the USB cable connected to it and to the connector. Why in the world did they over look this little device..lol.. Clearly they seen the over sight because they added it back to the 2016 and the 2011 had it as well.
Several of us made a cubby door to cover the empty space. I leave my kid's old ipod hooked up behind the door out of sight.

Painted or vinyl wrapped plexiglass with a super glued handle. Looks stock. Easy DIY if one really wants to keep an old ipod ther away from prying eyes. I've never needed to create a USB folder system with the ipod there.

Cubby cover w/ handle

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #14 of 48 Old 02-14-2016, 02:00 PM
I am the Stig

The file systems on Honda's suck so bad....
I can't stand having to scroll through the entire expanded tree view of all my folders and files, and voice recognition half the time never works well. I wish they would not expand the folders so you could easily select one to expand it, makes for much faster music access. This is the way it was on the Audi and it was a lot more intuitive. I have all my music in Genre-Artist-Album so its not easy. I definitely am of the mindset that I want most of my collection on a single USB key instead of swapping them out for genre. Am I missing something?
Xclimation and Merc6 like this.
post #15 of 48 Old 02-14-2016, 02:24 PM
@breakneck speed

Needs to be formatted to FAT32

Quote:
Originally Posted by argen234 View Post

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.