2014 Accord 2.4L Starter Replacement at 60k mi - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 05-11-2016, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Acoustics BSEE

2014 Accord 2.4L Starter Replacement at 60k mi

Over the past month i've had a no-crank, no-start issue that worsened over time. started out with 9 out of 10 times getting crank. a month later it was 9 tries before crank.

issue was as follows: insert key (factory keys, tried all of them), turn to run and all dash lights/radio/accessories came on. turn key to start and you could hear the solenoid click, and ignition voltage was lost, but voltage at the constant cables was maintained (with some voltage drop) - but no crank. repeat attempts to start until actual crank. once crank - it fired up fine.

what i evaluated: i started by evaluating the aftermarket remote start. all connections soldered by myself and no wiring was cut. i removed power from the alarm system to eliminate an immobilizer signal issue and the problem remained. i checked connections at neutral/safety switch and gear position switches - no changes. immobilizer MIL was never illuminated at the dash.

i took the car to the dealership at 58k mi and they confirmed the starter was bad. they wanted $650 for parts and 2 hrs of labor for $950 total.

I bought a salvaged starter for $90 (from a wrecked 2014 2.4L).
Used Honda, Acura, Lexus & Toyota Parts - Auto Wreckers Recyclers, Dismantlers & junk yards - Home

Entire job took an hour, including lifting the car onto jack stands, disconnecting battery connections, etc.

Tools:
14mm socket with extensions
10mm socket
pliers (for removing harness clip)

Steps:

- disconnect battery terminals with a 10mm socket.
- put wheel chalks on rear tires and lift car to place on two jack stands (one on each side). lift high enough to have a few inches between tires and ground/floor **i added another pair of jack stands under front suspension for insurance.**
- slide under car and position yourself under the rear of the motor.

remove the wire harness clips first. a standard 2-wire clip is on the starter. the large black clip has a top release and slides off the metal tab. the green wire clip is best pried closed from below (hence pliers being on the list). a 10mm bolt holds the power wire on the starter (this can be loosened after you pry the rubber boot back - and can be done after the starter is slid out).

you can see the starter location in this photo - bottom left:

There are two 14mm bolts holding the starter on. Both are accessible.

The rear bolt has a long shaft extension so it is accessible with a standard socket

after removing both bolts completely - the starter slides out easily. at 58k mi. i didn't have any issue with loosening the bolts by hand, with a standard ratchet and arm strength.

view after removal of the starter

installation is reverse of removal. you can connect the positive terminal before final placement, or do it last.

a video link is here, i discuss the bolts:
http://vid38.photobucket.com/albums/...509_224109.mp4

2014 Accord Sport New Build Log
2001 Accord EX V6 Build Log

Electrical basics and Car Audio (click links below):
My YouTube Channel --
Interactive Frequency Chart -- Ohm's Law --- Wiring Harness Color Codes--- Wire Sizing Chart --- Fuses!!!
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to keep_hope_alive For This Useful Post:
acutee (05-27-2016), Catfisha (05-27-2016), enne (05-12-2016), friendlyghost (07-27-2016), Graycar (02-16-2017), Hibb304 (05-12-2016), ProfessorSmiff (05-12-2016), RickBlaine (05-12-2016), SOLIDSNAKE (02-20-2017)
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 05-11-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Acoustics BSEE

later, i will disassemble the failing starter to investigate what is going on. OEM part cost is $350 but we can buy internal parts for very cheap. i'll rebuild the stock starter so i have a backup.) i'll detail the rebuild when the time comes.

kpro26 likes this.

My YouTube Channel --
Interactive Frequency Chart -- Ohm's Law --- Wiring Harness Color Codes--- Wire Sizing Chart --- Fuses!!!
post #3 of 40 Old 05-12-2016, 05:41 AM
6th Gear

Well done but $950, that about the cost of an extended warranty. On the older K24's the intake manifold had to be removed to access the starter. A friend of ours had this issue and Honda wanted like $1300 to do the job and she went elsewhere for like $800.

Do you think that the mods contributed to the failure?

post #4 of 40 Old 05-12-2016, 06:09 AM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
Good job avoiding the stealership.

P.S. Your avatar is creepy.
Catfisha likes this.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 166k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #5 of 40 Old 05-12-2016, 06:36 AM
Out of Control

$950 for the dealer to replace a starter on an Accord? That is ludicrous!

It's great that you could do the job yourself and save lots of money.

Unfortunately, most owners will be ripped off by the dealer.
Catfisha likes this.

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM
post #6 of 40 Old 05-12-2016, 07:47 AM
6th Gear

Wouldn't it still be under warranty at 58k miles. Or do they consider the starter not part of the drivetrain.

'13 Alabaster Silver Accord EX Sedan I4 6MT
'07 Graphite Accord SE Sedan I4 5MT
'90 White Integra RS Hatch I4 5MT
post #7 of 40 Old 05-12-2016, 09:11 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
Wouldn't it still be under warranty at 58k miles. Or do they consider the starter not part of the drivetrain.
Nope, powertrain is internals and seals only.

2014 Honda Accord Sport
2007 Ford Crown Vic
2008 Honda Civic Si
2008 Nissan Frontier SE
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2006 Honda CBR 600RR (wrecked)
2005 Toyota Tundra
2003 Chevy S10
1996 Honda Civic EX
1992 Honda Accord LX
1989 Dodge Ram 1500
1983 Toyota P/U
1985 to 1996 Several bicycles and skateboards
post #8 of 40 Old 05-12-2016, 02:06 PM
1st Gear

I was close to attempting this job but my car wouldnt start-up about a month ago while out with my wife and kids. Had to get it towed and the dealer wanted over $900 but i got it done for a little over $800. I was upset knowing i could have done it myself but i missed one day of work and needed it done.
Glad to see you were able to get it done and it should help a lot of people with faulty starters.
I've wrote it up on carcomplaints and national highway safety admin. Hoping enough people complain and we can get it recalled. Everyone who paid for a new starters can possibly get their money back from honda.
post #9 of 40 Old 05-14-2016, 04:04 AM Thread Starter
Acoustics BSEE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14v6 View Post
Well done but $950, that about the cost of an extended warranty. On the older K24's the intake manifold had to be removed to access the starter. A friend of ours had this issue and Honda wanted like $1300 to do the job and she went elsewhere for like $800.

Do you think that the mods contributed to the failure?
I looked at extended warranties but in my opinion they have more excuses to turn you down than anything. And in my case, they would have claimed that all the work that I have done had an impact on the electrical system and would have avoided doing it anyway. There's no way any of the stuff I've done to my car has any effect on a mechanical failure within the starter. I'll take it apart and see exactly what went wrong but my suspect is buildup and premature failure of the brushes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salcuta88 View Post
Good job avoiding the stealership.

P.S. Your avatar is creepy.
Oversoul by Alex Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycar View Post
$950 for the dealer to replace a starter on an Accord? That is ludicrous!

It's great that you could do the job yourself and save lots of money.

Unfortunately, most owners will be ripped off by the dealer.
We can buy the starter brand new for $350. Most dealerships are going to put a hundred percent markup on any parts you buy from them, that's just how they do business. The labor rate of 2 hours is typically twice what it should take a confident person to do but I guess that is typical for a dealership since they really don't know who will be performing the work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
As much as below it was not covered by the warranty which disappointed me because I felt like it was connected to the engine and it shouldn't have fell in the first place

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorSmiff View Post
I was close to attempting this job but my car wouldnt start-up about a month ago while out with my wife and kids. Had to get it towed and the dealer wanted over $900 but i got it done for a little over $800. I was upset knowing i could have done it myself but i missed one day of work and needed it done.
Glad to see you were able to get it done and it should help a lot of people with faulty starters.
I've wrote it up on carcomplaints and national highway safety admin. Hoping enough people complain and we can get it recalled. Everyone who paid for a new starters can possibly get their money back from honda.
Bummer. I have also found other cases of premature failure between 40000 and 60000 miles. These starters are assembled in the US but they may be using sub-par parts. It really wasn't easy job to tackle and one I think you could do in a parking lot if you had the jack stands. I could do another one in probably 30 minutes once the car was in the air.

My YouTube Channel --
post #10 of 40 Old 05-14-2016, 05:31 AM
5th Gear

Extended Warranty FTW. This is covered by Honda Care as "electrical"

2015 NH797M CT2 J35Y1V6
post #11 of 40 Old 05-14-2016, 05:38 AM
Out of Control

Thanks for the info. Luckily, I have a great independent mechanic at the end of my block. He is an excellent diagnostician and is his prices are reasonable. Once my car is out of warranty he will be my go to guy.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #12 of 40 Old 05-18-2016, 05:59 AM
3rd Gear

Would you say buying the salvaged starter was worth it? How's it holding up?
post #13 of 40 Old 05-27-2016, 05:54 AM
1st Gear

Had the same issue on '13 Sport. Ordered salvaged starter from the link that Keep_Hope_Alive provided. Got it for $92 total. Installed the salvaged starter. Problem solved. Checked with the dealer and they wanted $520.09 just for the part.

Have owned Accords since 1994 and never had a starter go bad.
post #14 of 40 Old 05-27-2016, 06:03 AM
5th Gear

Thank you for sharing. Nice write-up.
post #15 of 40 Old 05-27-2016, 06:51 AM
5th Gear

Garage
My old 1985 Toyota MR2 killed starters at 50k miles almost like clockwork. I never put a new one on as they were silly expensive and I could get good used ones for $50. That was the only salvage parts I ever used on that car in 25 years of ownership. Other than the starter, the car as a whole was amazingly reliable (278k in 25 years), I never even replaced the clutch in it and it still ran and drove great when I sold it. Never understood why the starter was such a weak point or why the starters were so darned expensive, even rebuilt ones from the corner parts stores were almost as expensive as new. And the starters never gave a clue that they were getting weak, just didn't work when they finally broke. Lucky for me, the car was super easy to push start by myself since it weighed so little.

Advertisement

Tags
accord, engine, honda, replacement, starter

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.