Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Could anyone give some advice and experience for floor mats?

13K views 81 replies 53 participants last post by  rookie 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I just bought my first car ever, it's an accord!:grin

I hear that it's recommended to buy floor mat too. However, I found there's already something removable on the floor, which came with the car and it's not made of rubber. Is it also floor mat?

I'm in CA so I'm hesitated to buy the genuine "all season floor mat". "summer floor mat" seems more reasonable to me. Could anyone give some advice and experience for floor mats?

#2 ·
Mine came with some hard plastic floor mats. So far they work perfectly. Although there is a spot in the back left where I rest my foot that's not covered and I'll probably get something simple to cover that spot.
Grats on the car it's also my first.
Maybe a picture on what you have for mats currently? Something removable you say?

#34 ·
You definitely should not install the OEM all-season mats on top of the factory ones on the drivers side of the car! If the mat slips you may not be able to stop your car or may cause an unintended acceleration incident.

The OEM mats have two attachment spots on the bottom of the mat to lock the mat into the floor so they don't move. If you installed your mats on top of the originals you aren't using this safety feature.

The aftermarket mats do not have these attachment points so I installed the OEM mats in my 2016 Accord. They fit great!

#4 ·
I have the weathertech floor mats and trunk liner, i love it! So easy to clean...

Sent from my iPhone 6S+ using Tapatalk

#9 ·
I don't know... That's one of these cases where the motivation is to keep that nice carpeting looking like new, but to achieve this you cover it all up with some hideous-looking rubber.
Kind of like the people using car bras to prevent paint chips, where the paint chips are now replaced with a piece of plastic fabric that looks like crap.

I have never understood the point of these things.

#6 ·
Congrats on your new car! I know that you want to keep your car looking new for ever but spending money to put in all weather rubber floor mats is redundant unless you live in a place with a lot of snow or you work around construction sites with a lot of mud. The stock floor mats are not the greatest ever made, but they have worked great for me since I bought the car three years ago. I live in North Texas where we get very little snow and they have survived the one or two snows that we had in the past three years. The car wash removes them and vacuums them when I get the car washed and they are not showing any wear.

If you buy the all weather mats you will have covered up the carpeting which you won't see again even if it looks nice. I remember a time when new cars didn't come with carpeting but with rubber mats. As soon as the manufactures started putting in carpeting people bought floor mats to keep the carpeting clean. They even had synthetic carpet looking rubber to match the interior carpet color.

I plan on keeping this car for at least ten years. When you go to trade in a ten year old car the condition of the carpets doesn't affect it's value very much. My plan is to buy the rubber mats after the stock mats have worn out. By that time you won't really care because you will have collected several door dings and if you have a kid he or she may have thrown up in the car. Don't worry and just enjoy your new car. :grin

#17 ·
I second this vote. If you are looking to keep your car comfortable inside, Lloyds mats are luxuriously plush carpet and give your interior that "upscale" feel over rubber. I prefer carpet mats by far over rubber and the Honda mats are way too flimsy.

#12 ·
I got OEM rubber floor mats and I love them! Original carpet floor mats are just flimsy, as someone had already mentioned.

Yes, they are $100 for a set of 4, but they fit like a glove and look good, feel good.

WeatherTech is useful, but a total overkill for most people, IMHO. And I don't like WeatherTech super-rugged look.

Reactions: Henry2024
#16 ·
I was lucky enough to find a set of carpeted floor mats at WalMart (actually my mother did) that match the grey interior of my 6th gen perfectly. They look OEM without the "Accord" logo along the sides like the real OEMs, which were completely destroyed when I got the car.

I scrubbed the carpeting beforehand and put the mats down. The driver's side floor mat has a little rubber/plastic section in the center for your feet to go on, to lessen the amount of carpet that would get soiled. I wash all of them at the car wash with high pressure soap and let them air dry for a day. So far they've worked great. I rarely have passengers so the only one that really gets dirty is the driver's side. But, if you clean them once in a while, like once a month or so, they won't get super dirty. I've washed dried mud off of them with no problems at all. Worst comes to worst I need to bust out the upholstery cleaner and a stiff plastic bristle brush.

#18 ·
I was this close to buying Weathertech or Husky, but I saw a set for 1/4 of the price and said what the heck. You usually get what you pay for, they're not a perfect fit, but I'm not choosey w/regards to mats, and they're shaped like the Weathertech/Husky, will prevent spills and such from going to the sides, they might not last, time will tell.

#19 ·
It really depends on the climate you live in. In most parts of CA where it doesn't snow, carpeted floor mats are just fine. But for those that live in states where it snows during the winter, rubber mats are a necessity. Otherwise, your carpeted floor mats will be ruined by spring.

I usually change out my carpeted floor mats to the rubber ones around October of November, in case we get an early snow.

#20 ·
I'm in Pennsylvania and I don't have any problems cleaning dirt, mud, salt, snow, etc. from my carpeted floor mats.

This post has been deleted
#23 ·
I bought WeatherTech "laser measured for a perfect fit", "custom fit" for my car at around $140.

Boy was I disappointed. The fit is nowhere near perfect. I have 1/8" to about 1/2" gaps on the sides of all 3 mats. Small debris falls right between the floor panel and mats. The OEM all season mats fit better, though they do not have the added height on the sides-which aesthetically looks better to me.

I contacted WT consumer service, rep told me to take the mats out and massage them with my hands. Did that, and they fit better...next day they were back to the original gaps.

With all that said, I would go OEM all weather.

#26 ·
Get the Aries 3D styleguard mats. They're a perfect fit and don't look like as rugged as Weathertech. They look OEM. Cost about 100 for the front and rear mats from jcwhitney and a 20% coupon that they're always emailing out if you're apart of their newsletter.

#31 ·
Another vote for the Aries. Great looking, tough enough, but also easy on the eyes and the underfoots.

I've had many Weathertechs in my Ford F-150's and in my sedans and they are great for the cars, but a little overkill for regular cars, I think, especially for the monies.

All just opinions of course, from us all. Follow your heart. Mats are a big life decision to obsess over of course.

#28 ·
I've been looking at the Lloyds Floormats to replace the surprisingly cheap and thin carpeted mats that came with my 2016 Touring Sedan. I've already got a worn spot from my right heel at 8k miles. I can see the advantage of the all weather style but I prefer the carpeted version. Any suggestions on Lloyd's Ultimat vs Luxe ? Lloyds Mats For Accord

Ultimat - ($86.90 front only) 32 oz pile 5/16" thick
Luxe ($141 front only) 48 oz pile 1/2" thick.

I'm tempted by the Ultimat but wonder if Luxe might be worth the extra money. Also, can anyone tell me the difference between Black and Ebony ? My carpet is black.

#33 ·
Here is a great comparison chart on the Lloyd's products:
Lloyd Mats Comparison All Carpet and All Weather Floor Mats

I debated the same choice and ended up with the Ultimat and am thrilled with them. Can't speak to the Luxe, but I honestly can't imagine anything more plush than the Ultimat. Oh, and Black is true jet black and Ebony is like a really dark charcoal. Either would be fine with a black interior. You can't go wrong with Lloyds.

Reactions: TomFromMo
#30 ·
Husky Liners are a slightly cheaper alternative to Weathertechs, and as a bonus they fully cover the dead pedal on the 9th gen Accords, unlike the Weathertechs (IIRC). The fit is excellent. I only use mine in the winter or for camping/muddy shoe activities in the summer, but they are solid. I also have the Honda OEM rubber trunk liner which is great.

In the summer I just rock the OEM carpet floor mats.

Also: Carpet In Cars Is Gross And Stupid So Let's Not Use It Anymore

#32 ·
if you track a lot of sand in your car, the grinding sand can cut down the fibers of a carpeted mat. as thin as the newer mats are, they just can't last. i always take them out and put them in the plastic bag the OE all season mats come in.

#35 ·
That's something innovation helps. Tie the two bolstering points together and mount the original ones like normal. Since the all-seasons above are tied together, they do not move.

There is no safety risk so long as you're not running your foot on the mats like a horse's hooves.

#37 ·
I disagree. I fail to see how there is any innovation involved in a non-factory installation that was not recommended or developed by Honda. You are not using the mats per the factory installation recommendations. Tying the attachment points together is a hack and is unsafe. There is a reason why every manufacturer has said never to use two sets of floor mats at the same time. Plus the all weather mats are slightly wider than the factory mats so you aren't seeing any benefit installing them incorrectly.

#36 ·
I just bought my first car ever, it's an accord!:grin Could anyone give some advice and experience for floor mats?
My driver side mat had two holes in it (one for each heel) within 6 months.
Try ordering the OEM rubber mats from college hills. I didn't bother to read the thread to see if anyone else already posted about them.

All Season Floor Mats - 08P13-T2A-110 - College Hills Honda

I have them, and installed them Dec 2015. they're holding up well, and clean up nicely with a little armorall. 7 months in and so signs of heel holes

I don't know... That's one of these cases where the motivation is to keep that nice carpeting looking like new, but to achieve this you cover it all up with some hideous-looking rubber.
I agree the weather-tech high wall mats are fugly, but I appreciate the look of the Honda mats

Attachments

#42 · (Edited by Moderator)
I agree the weather-tech high wall mats are fugly, but I appreciate the look of the Honda mats
They may be fugly, but those look like they protect well and provide decent coverage. I like it that those mats are molded so that when you track in snow, the snow melts, it doesn't run into the carpet.

I'm in Pennsylvania and I don't have any problems cleaning dirt, mud, salt, snow, etc. from my carpeted floor mats.
Just wondering how do you clean yours during the winter? Do you use your garden hose? Wash them inside? Go to a coin operated car wash?

Because I disconnect my garden hose just before the first hard freeze and don't connect them again until it consistently stays above freezing. I learned my lesson before when my pipes busted when I neglected to disconnect my garden hose when it froze overnight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.