Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Dealer used 5w30. Is that bad?

22K views 35 replies 22 participants last post by  Alamut 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased a used 2014 Accord LX (2.4L/CVT) from a (non Honda) Dealership. After driving about 500 miles, I reevaluated the service history and noticed the dealership had put 5w30 instead of Honda recommended 0w20. Now, I owned a Silverado before this car, and you could put any oil you wanted in it. Is my Accord damaged from this absent minded act?

Thanks.

#2 ·
You're going to get a lot of different answers based on previous threads on this topic. I'll say it's fine, but I'd also change it to the right 0w20 soon and certainly before winter.

I remember the late 90's early 2000's Honda Odyssey's: without changing any specs on the engine, they changed the recommended oil from 5w30 to 5w20.
I ran 5w20 in a Honda that required 0w20 for 8 months, just because I had it left over from my old car and I didn't want to waste it. Didn't even notice a change in the gas mileage.

#7 ·
You do know that 0w20 was used to met CAFE requirements.
Before Starbucks there were no requirements at Cafes. You could walk in with sandals and no shirt and still be served hard drinks for guys that wanted a drink fast. Starbucks changed all that.

#6 ·
The ONLY issue I worry about is warranty coverage should there be an issue. The "W" is the winter rating. A 0W oil flows like a true 0 weight oil when cold where as a 5W flows as a true 5 weight oil when cold.

This really only applies to starting and the first 15-30 minutes of driving while oil is heating up (closer to 30 though). Your most vulnerable time for wear in an engine is at starting and the first 30 seconds after starting. Always idle for 30 seconds before putting any load on the engine and you should be golden, regardless of oil viscosity. A 0W and 5W oil either one would be fine honestly. I used 0W-30 on my prior Maxima (which called for 5W-30) because I liked the German Castrol Syntec 0W-30, but not because of the 0W - it was just a better oil on the market. I will be switching over to the Castrol Magnatec 5W-20 at the next oil change on the Honda because it truly won't matter from a mechanical standpoint with good running practice. Furthermore, a 0W-20 will shear more than a 5W-20 and thin down faster over time. The difference is probably negligible with a good maintenance schedule, though.

I say 0W or 5W won't make a difference as long as it is a good 20 weight oil.

#9 ·
Always idle for 30 seconds before putting any load on the engine and you should be golden, regardless of oil viscosity.
Not true. You don't need to idle for 30 seconds. The key is not to gun the engine right after a cold start up. Just get in and drive, withOUT revving the engine too high. Been doing that for years, and on my old '83 Accord, I was well past 250,000 miles with no end in sight.

#14 ·
Honda says to start, then drive slowly until the engine warms up. It is not that you need to idle, it is some people do for other reasons. I park out side, when the temps. get 32 or lower (may get to 4 deg. over night), I idle for a few min. just to be on the safe side.

#16 ·
It is literally IMPOSSIBLE for *W-30 oil to damage your engine. In fact if you were REALLY worried about protecting your engine and having it last 300,000 miles, you'd run only 0W-30 oil! 30W oil is actually better for the engine. Honda's recommendation of 5W-20 oil was NOT based on its superior protective qualities. It was based on the fact that 20W oil meets the minimum requirement for lubrication but is better for fuel economy. That extra 1/4 to 1/2 mpg means everything for CAFE standards.

Reactions: ginobean
#21 ·
You took better oil out and replaced it with thinner oil. Mazda recommended 5w-20 or some other garbage weight idk in my rx-8. I ran 20w-50 and then ran a shell diesel oil at 15w-40 in the rx also.

Car manufactures recommend thinner oil for better gas mileage and emissions purposes not because its better for your engine.

#35 ·
Must be bad from the factory. I've used nothing but 0w20 for about 60-70K miles AFTER I bought the car with 95K on it using who knows what before I bought it. When I adjusted my valves everything looked just fine under the valve cover. And yes, I encounter some extreme heat some days idling in a drive thru with AC blasting, etc.

#25 ·
Could be a combination of 5w20 and bad casting. Not really sure. But good excuse to put in performance camshafts.

Do realize that 0w20 does sheer down especially the conventional oil. So Just fyi. Not many people will know how bad their camshaft are since a majority of the public do not do their own valve adjustment.

#33 ·
Don't mean to derail the thread, but the ones I did I had to pull the cams. Mine was a 99 ZX6R and friends had same bike.

OP, just to reiterate what others are saying, there is no damage done with the 5w30. You can put it out of your mind.

#31 ·
I wouldn't take it back to that dealer... They could put the wrong tranny fluid in next time and you'd be SOL.

#34 ·
Never said the dealer hurt his car. I agree it doesn't hurt the car. Just sayin that if the dealer happened to do this mistakenly vs. intentionally, I'd be concerned for future services.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.