Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Just traded in my 2016 Accord EX for 2016 Scion iM 6MT

5K views 38 replies 16 participants last post by  have2ride 
#1 · (Edited)
I enjoyed my time here, but it is time to go. I wanted to love my 2016 Accord EX 6MT with a fancy touchscreen unit, but I just had too many problems with it since I started my audio upgrades. I decided to just end it and go another route.

Another issue that drove me nutz was hesitation during acceleration. This is the only manual transmission car I ever drove that had hiccups while accelerating! I went to three dealers in my area and no one found anything wrong with it. Since there is no check engine light, "car operates in acceptable conditions". I called Honda corporate and all they did was assign my case to some case manager, who told me to go get it checked at a local dealership (*sigh*).

My main reason to get a new Accord was to save money on gas, enjoy driving a manual and get a cheaper car compared to my previous 2014 Acura RDX. As much as I love Accord handling, cornering and refined ride, I was upset about plastic steering wheel in EX, cheap dashboard materials and jerky acceleration. It all went downhill when I started upgrading my stock stereo, at that point I realized I have to invest another $1,500 (I already invested around $2,300) and possibly get stuck with a glitchy Metra adapter or save the money and get another car that would have a better audio system and/or an audio system that is easy to upgrade.

I researched and looked at other cars, since I've been a Honda/Acura fan for so long. I drove only brand new cars:

2016 VW: Golf GTI, Jetta, Passat, Tiguan
2016: Mazda: CX-5 auto, Mazda 6 auto, Mazda 3 auto
2016 Nissan: Maxima, Rogue, Pathfinder, Murano
2016 Ford: Edge, Escape, Focus, C-MAX
2016 Fiat: 500X 6MT
2016 Jeep: Renegade 6MT
2016 Toyota: Corolla 5MT, Camry Hybrid, Avalon Hybrid Limited, RAV4 Hybrid Limited, Prius, Prius V
2016 Scion: tC 6MT, iM CVT and 6MT

I could write a review about every brand I had tested. I absolutely loved Volkswagen! Amazing interior refinement, Golf GTI drives like a Porsche. VW offers up to $10k off on Passat models right now. But VW seats are made for school kids! I don't know how a tall guy like me can fit into any of their cars.
Mazda - the same problem. Seats are too narrow. CX-5 is a wonderful CUV, amazing value and drives super fun.
Nissan - Rogue is surprisingly good, but a bit cheap inside and I just can't get used to CVT. Maxima is way too snug inside. Pathfinder is an overkill for me, but interior quality is a step up from Rogue. Murano looks hot, but seating position is too snug and too deep, way too overpriced for what it is. Upper trim Murano costs like Acura RDX, which is way more comfortable and upscale.
Ford - SYNC 3 system is superb! The best multimedia system I have seen so far. When I tested Sync 3 with Sony audio system, I fell in love. I would get Ford Edge if it was wider in the knee area. It is surprisingly tight for a mid-size crossover. Ford also surprised me with a better quality interior plastic, they improved a lot compared to just two years ago when Ford interior was just garbage. C-MAX is a great value, I just need something wider in the knee area.
Fiat - eh, seats lack in cushion and ergonomics. 1.4 turbo engine is underpowered and turbo lag is too heavy to handle, VW Jetta with 1.4 turbo is way better.
Jeep - just heavy and slow, same Fiat seat problem (since Renegade and 500X is essentially the same car)
Toyota - Camry is uncomfortable (I can't believe I am saying this, but new generation is just "Korean" cheap inside), Corolla is great and more comfortable than Camry(so I got a Corolla hatchback - Scion iM). RAV4 is very decent, but it has narrow seats. Avalon is also surprisingly unrefined and cheap inside, but yes it rides great.

Scion - tC provides amazing value, but is loud (especially in the back) and cheap inside, seat belt is mounted way too high and rubs my neck. But then I drove Scion iM and I knew it was on....

What I love about Scion iM: standard dual-zone climate control, awesome seats, good leather steering wheel, decent 2-din Pioneer stock touchscreen stereo, LED daytime running lights, LED rear lights, reclined rear seats create huge room in the trunk area. Manual transmission is wonderful, very smooth, gears are direct and sharp, it is not a short-throw by any means, but it feels sporty and acceleration is much more smooth compared to my previous Accord EX 6MT, since there is no hesitation during acceleration. Yes, iM has a weak 1.8 140 hp engine, but it is enough for me to get around and manual transmission makes it enjoyable. iM handling is great, smooth and refined, there is a double-wishbone rear suspension (which Honda used to have), so it probably helps. Fuel economy is great: 27 city/36 highway/ 31 combined.

I will be upgrading my Pioneer stock radio to something aftermarket. But for now I am very happy with it. Sound quality is night and day compared to my previous Accord. I can easily fit any 2-din aftermarket headunit into my new Scion, no need for expensive glitchy Metra adapters.

Where iM lacks: CVT is useless, I would not get it. Rear legroom isn't exactly spacious, but much better than many other compacts. There is no push-button start, the only thing I will really miss. No power seats.

I got my iM for $4,000 below the MSRP, which is amazing considering the value. I also got 0% financing. I traded in my near-perfect 2016 Accord EX 6MT with 6,000 miles for $20,000. If you are looking for a new 2016-2017 Accord EX 6MT, you may want to check out mine, since it is just like new, no pets, no kids, non-smoker. Message me for dealer info.

As Scion brand goes away this year, they are giving out amazing discounts. I will be glad to drive a part of the history. Scion iA, iM and FR-S will stay for 2017 and will be called Toyota Yaris iA, Toyota Corolla iM and Toyota 86.

Thank you guys, it was fun to be here.

Attachments

See less See more
This post has been deleted
#3 ·
Thank you!
When I turned off VSA it did help a little bit, but that major hesitation was still there. Overall, my Accord drove better without VSA, much less low-RPM hesitation and it felt like the engine could spin freely, but the problem was still there.

My MPG is 27 city/36 highway/31 combined. I just picked up my car today, so I haven't tested real-world MPG yet.

#4 ·
I drive cars for a living....all kinds.
I have no idea how you can say the Camry is uncomfortable when the interior is MUCH bigger than the IM or the Corolla but whatever works for you!

Congrats on the new purchase, hope they didn't rape you too bad on the trade in of a 16.

#5 ·
Camry is much bigger than Corolla, but there is a plastic panel that rubs against my right leg, but Corolla seating position is great for me. New Camry is really lame, design is weak and cheap, interior is also cheap. Yes, Camry is around $2k cheaper than Accord, but it is also less refined. I bet Camry is still very reliable and a great commuter car.

I lost about $3,500 on my 2016 Accord trade. It would've been a smaller loss if I had a CVT, dealers are scared to take manual trade ins.

#21 ·
Back seat would be a little small, it's OK for short rides, but if you are planning on having people back there all the time, I would get something else. iM is super smooth compared to Accord, superior refinement, almost like Volkswagen. When you floor your gas pedal, you hear the engine, but there is no typical irky-jerkiness that most Honda cars have, iM accelerates gradually like expensive cars do, it reminds of a Lincoln Town Car. Interior smells pleasant and expensive, I am surprised. Overall quality is great. Front seat bolstering is a bit of an overkill and yes, engine is a bit weak. But I bought this car as a commuter vehicle to get around (same as I did with Accord), it does move me around and I am enjoying it. It actually does make me smile, believe it or not :) It is cute.

This is actually making me rethink my car preferences. I am probably going to be a Toyota guy from now on.

Reactions: johnjohn15
#9 ·
Wow you looked at more cars that I did!

I also loved the GTI but resale and reliability questions rule that out.
I was wowed by the IM's simplicity and attractive overall package but simply wanted more power. Congrats on it by the way!

I ended up with an EXL V6 Accord Coupe A/T, and it is AWESOME! The power and sportiness of this package is totally unexpected.
Maybe when you get sick of the IM you can get a V6 Couple.

#24 ·
You are right, iM manual transmission is super smooth. I love it. CVT is really slow and annoying. Corolla with a manual is really decent though.

#12 ·
Golf GTI drives like a Porsche.
Obviously you've never driven a Porsche. ;)

I love our GTI VR6 but I'd take my friend's 996 over it any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

But, I get what you are saying. VW does build nice driving cars. And they still offer a manual transmission choice (at least in the GTI) so you gotta like them for that if nothing else.

Our VW has been very reliable given the miles it has on it (165,000). Expensive to fix if you have to use VW parts when something does need attention though. We've been very pleased with it. Wife loves it, will drive it until the wheels fall off.

#25 ·
Yes, I did not drive a Porsche, I was being funny :) GTI just felt so sporty after Accord, I was shocked. Especially its manual was amazing, sharp and precise.

I would've bought VW, despite expensive parts and service, but I just could not find any of them comfortable enough. If only VW had larger front seats...

#15 ·
I have 6MT EX and there is no hesitation when accelerating but could see how that would be an annoyance. The car does feel big at times. I noticed an iM on the road the other day and thought to myself how that is some sort of new updated Matrix but would go after the younger demographic. I think the 137hp carrying 2950lbs would be underwhelming but the smaller stature should help although the wheels and lines are too busy and sharp for me; like it’s trying to look more than what it is. Haha, you can say that about the inexpensive Accord as well. If you like it and can afford it, why not give it a shot. Thanks for sharing and good luck with the iM.

Unfortunately, when it comes to wringing power out of an anemic 4cyl, the cvt does it best.
The OP might have got a lemon but I don't agree with that statement as the 4-banger 6MT tests versus the CVT show the manual besting the rubber band tranny by .05-1 second. The CVT may feel quicker but those hard numbers are undeniable. Plus the power on tap with downshifting on the standard gearbox.

#14 ·
Did you check out any Subies? I would do a thorough test drive if you are picky about cars and realize no car is perfect. At least you didn't lose too much on the trade in. No offense, I have to say the Scion is hideous but whatever floats your boat. 10th Gen should be out next year maybe we'll see you back here.

#22 ·
I drove a newer Forester and did not like it inside, although it drives great. I think Crosstrek would be a good one for me, I have to admit I totally forgot about them. So I promise I will go test drive it.

Yes, next generation Accord and Camry are both coming soon, so I may be back. Or not :)

#16 ·
I don't have any numbers to present but have driven the 6mt accord. Taking off from a light it did feel weak unless the gears were wound out. With similar amount of throttle, the cvt felt more zippy.

Don't get me wrong, i'm all for 3 pedals. I think anything less is a driving appliance :) Most folks just want an appliance for commuting purposes.

#17 ·
Hope you enjoy your new ride! The interior looks nice, I like it, but the exterior (to me) is ugly.

I have heard good things about Scion, whatever makes you happy is what matters :)

#26 ·
My 2014 LX 6 manual hesitates during acceleration too sometimes. It also has throttle delay. It's not bad, but just enough throttle delay to annoy you. It's a stick! -- it should have zero throttle delay. I don't care, make it with a regular cable if you have to.

The throttle delay and hesitation just kill the feel. Why even make a stick if you don't design it with feel? What's the point? I'll never love this Accord, and when I sell it eventually, I won't get another Honda. The D.I. engine is harsh sounding. It rides rough over bumps.

But it was cheap, and it's a midsize car, and it cruises at 70 mph in wind very nicely. It's point A to point B transportation, with the illusion of control with the stick.

#31 ·
There is a thread on engine hesitation during acceleration. We are not the only people that have this issue. I suggest everyone calls Honda Corporate and complains about it. Case manager that was assigned to me said "it was a first time anyone complained about hesitation", but it's not true, since there is a long thread on this very forum about this very issue.

Honda Customer Service
1 (800) 999-1009

Customer Service - Official Honda Web Site

#27 ·
Congrats on your new ride. Thanks for the review of all the cars you tested. Any Toyota product is a reliable nice car. I haven't figured out why Toyota started the Scion brand. Obviously, it wasn't a success. I think the idea was to create an entry level brand to sell to a younger buyer with the emphasis on high technology, ie the better sound system. Glad you were able to find a car that met all your needs.

#30 ·
Thank you. I remember reading about Scion when it came out. Someone in Toyota did a research that average Toyota buyer is somewhere in their 50's, so they wanted to make Toyota appealing to younger people. That's why they created a Scion, which was supposed to be hip, provide good value and have things that "entitled millennials" find useful. They had a huge success with their first generation xB and very good sales of first generation tC coupe. I actually almost bought a first generation tC, it was a great car, way better than this outgoing generation, which screams cheap plastic, weird square exterior and unrefined interior.

But later Scion failed to introduce anything interesting to younger generation. Salesmen did not like selling Scion because they only made $150 commission, which is terrible (and something like 10% on every accessory). Scion was also supposed to be "pure pricing", meaning no discounts, not everyone likes that. If you remember xA, xD and iQ - all those were tiny cars that aren't exactly appealing. Second generation xB was large, yet cramped up front, had something like a 4-speed automatic or a manual option and interior wasn't refined. Good thing about all Scion cars was a simple Pioneer stereo system and a large aftermarket selection of parts and accessories.

iM surprised me with a much better interior than I expected (I did not drive FR-S, it probably has a decent interior as well). So I guess they were on the right track to improve, but bad management decisions, lame recent models (besides FR-S and iM) and poor incentives for sales people killed the brand.

#29 ·
Yes, I drove a Fit about a year ago. I did sit inside a new Fit recently when I was trying to find a backup camera replacement, since I hated stock OEM camera on my Accord. I was sure surprised to discover that 2016 Fit backup camera is even worse than 2016 Accord. I also did not like Fit interior, it's not bad, but not exactly refined.

I do love my Scion iM :) It makes me smile every day. Everything inside is refined, backup camera is definitely better than 2016 Accord, manual transmission is butter-smooth, I can barely hear the engine. The ride is sporty yet comfortable and solid. Stock Pioneer stereo is WAY better than Honda touchscreen, it is much more clear and definitely sounds good. I wouldn't call it a "premium" sound system, but definitely better than Accord's "premium" system, at least in my opinion. The only thing I've noticed is rear suspension does not like large humps or deep potholes. Small to medium size potholes are nothing, it rides over them smoothly. Also highway MPG is lower than advertised. Car MPG meter shows 27 city/34 highway with A/C on (it comes with a dual-zone climate control). I am expecting highway fuel economy to get higher when I stop using A/C in about a month.

#38 ·
Stock Pioneer sound system sounds even better now, I guess it took a few days for the speakers to warm up. Now I am actually debating if I even want to upgrade it. Stock Pioneer unit also has excellent responsiveness to the touch, bluetooth works like a charm and has a great interface, I just noticed there are also voice features built-in, such as song searches. I haven't played with it yet, but wow! Lots of features for a budget compact car.

One thing I kind of don't like is excessive upper front seat bolstering. It does help when you take turns, but I was really feeling it with my shoulders. Since I drive the car daily, bolstering seems to slowly break in and it's less of an issue now. I am a big guy, 6'2", so someone smaller will not have any issues.

The engine is somewhat weak, but I knew it and it has plenty of power for my everyday commute. Rear suspension is bumpy over deep potholes, but I think that's because of the low sidewalls on those 17" Toyo Proxes OEM tires, and it does not really bother me.

I miss keyless entry (when you grab the door handle and doors unlock) and I miss push button start. I also miss extra horse power. But that's about it. Otherwise, it almost feels like I am driving a little Lexus. The longer I have my iM, the more I enjoy how well it is built inside and how well everything works in concert. I can't point out any issues at all, but I only had the car for a week. Toyota Owners website is wonderful. Toyota Financing website is also great. Two years of free maintenance is a nice bonus, it is included with the car. By the way, iM is 100% Japanese made, if that matters to anyone.

#39 ·
You are probably right, but if Accord was annoying me so much during just a few months of ownership, I can't imagine driving that car for 10-15 years. The longest time I had a car was 7 years, that was my long gone 2007 Accord which was also purchased brand new. All other cars were changed much sooner.

I will drive iM for a year or two. Now since I really like how refined it is inside, I will probably get a Lexus. Considering that CT200h does not require premium gas, it could be a decent option. I will use this long weekend to test drive new Lexus models, I haven't driven any of them for a long time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.