Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

2016 EX-L dashboard looks dull

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  TH23 
#1 ·
Hi, we just recently purchased a 2016 Accord EX-L two weeks ago. I was just wondering if y'all dashboards look dull or somewhat matte looking? My wife has a 2016 HR-V and her dashboard is kinda shiny(harder plastic conpared to our accords). I used Aerospace 303 on both the Accord and HR-V but the Accords dash just looks dull/matte after cleaning and applying 303. Did Honda use a different material on the Accord to prevent glare? I would greatly appreciate any input!

#2 ·
IMO, matte finish and low gloss if what you want the finish of a dashboard to be. I haven't really looked very closely at the HRV's dash, but the Accord is very flat and low-glare. I wouldn't use anything glossier than the 303. The harder the surface, the more gloss it will have, especially after applying a dressing, even 303 which is pretty much a matte finish. The HRV is considerable less expensive expensive than the Accord so it would make sense the the dash is harder material.

#4 ·
I don't know if 8th gen and 9th gen use the same material on the dash. On my 8th I used Poorboy's Natural Look, and did three applications. Looks much better, gives it some depth.

#5 ·
The 9th gen has a soft-touch, injection molded plastic upper dashboard so it's going to have a matte appearance compared to a hard plastic dash that tends to be shinier. I personally prefer the matte look as there's less reflections from it in the windshield during the daytime. The 8th gen had a hard plastic upper dashboard, but Honda at least kept the gloss to a minimum so that it didn't look cheap.

Honestly, Honda could've saved a few bucks and made the 9th gen's upper dash hard plastic and hardly anyone would've noticed. It's not an area that many people actually touch within the interior. I would've preferred more soft-touch materials lower in the dash and doors in areas that you actually touch, like on the 6th, 7th, and 8th gen cars (the even earlier generations had a lot more soft-touch materials in the interior). It's those areas where the 9th gen's interior tends to feel cheap, IMHO.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.