Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Cargo Net

10K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  WhiteOrchid 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed a cargo net on a 2014 Accord? I watched one video, where they had to pull off the rubber trunk seal, pull off most of the lining, drill holes etc. Does it really require all of this? Aren't the anchors already installed or do I have to do all of this? If so, I won't even bother. The dealer quoted me $45 for the net.

#2 ·
I got my net for christmas last year, I STILL haven't installed it for that reason. It comes with unclear documentation and appears to require a good deal of work. It is currently in a small pile in the corner of my trunk. I drove across the country twice with it just laying there under my bags. I keep telling myself that I'm going to finally do it. Maybe one day I'll keep my promise.

When I eventually do install it, I'll be sure to make a video for DA.

#5 ·
I bought one earlier this year from my local dealer and thought it just needed to be hooked up like the OP said. Once I got home I realized you need a specialized tool and it sat for a few months in my trunk. Eventually, I ended up biting the bullet and having the dealer install it when I took my car in for the CVT TSB and it was worth the $40 they charged since I use it all the time.

#3 ·
I had the dealer include the install at purchase cause I knew I wouldn't get around to installing it. I LOVE my net though, I have the cargo hooks too.

I would get it... its quite functional and keeps my stuff from flying around... you do have to drill but its all out of sight so even if you mess up no one will know and no rust to worry about.

#4 ·
Thanks ... how much did they charge you to install it? I saw one video where it looked like the net was hanging above the trunk floor (i.e. stuff could easily slide under it). Does yours touch the floor? It may have been a previous model.

#10 ·
The install price was $50 but I got them to include it as part of my deal.

I have mine installed with the cargo tray as well, the pic shows that its not connected at the bottom but mine has two connecters... 4 in total.

Its not really meant to split the trunk... things certainly can go under it... its meant to hold objects inside the net. It sits on the floor but its not connected to the floor in anyway, just the four corners.

#16 ·
If you can change your own oil you can install the cargo net. You don't HAVE to use the rivet nuts actually, you can make studs out of small bolt and some kepnuts.

Yeah, it is real hard and time consuming to unhook the 4 elastic loops used to hold it in place. :rolleyes::lmao:

Actually you really only need to disconnect the top two and it lies flat on the trunk floor in the event you need to put a larger object in the trunk.

#8 ·
The cargo net does NOT require any drilling. You do need a rivet nut tool to install into the existing holes for the carper lining clips, essentially making them a threaded connector for the net hooks. The tool is expensive to buy, but lots of people have made their own with some basic tools. Having the dealer install it might be your best option.

#12 ·

Attachments

#9 ·
Aren't the anchors already installed or do I have to do all of this? If so, I won't even bother. The dealer quoted me $45 for the net.
I just picked up a 2013 sedan yesterday. It has hooks at the top for a cargo net but none at the bottom. Is this the way Honda does it? Previous vehicles I have owned had attachments at the top and the bottom.

Attachments

#11 ·
The cargo net comes with its own hooks, they don't use those at all. You might be able to MacGyver the net to those two "cargo hooks" but it wasn't designed for that.

#17 ·
Anyone tried using a cargo net with the existing cargo hooks? I know that's not their intended purpose and there won't be any support at the bottom but it looks like it might work. I'm too cheap to have the dealer do it and too lazy to do it myself. :wink

#18 ·
Those little hooks are meant for very lightweight things like grocery bags. I think they are rated for 2kg/4.4lbs. They are held in with two tiny spring-loaded clips and will likely pull out if used to attach the cargo net, assuming it even stays in place at all.

#20 ·
I kept the cargo net from my '00 Coupe and now use it in my '16 Coupe. Two hooks like the one shown in lmacmil's photo (post #9 in this thread) came standard in the '16 Coupe so I just hook the net's "loop ears" on the top elastic band over the round part of those 2 hooks. The ears are a little stretched out after so many years but a small binder clip helps keep them on the hooks.

This net didn't attach at the bottom in the '00 and doesn't in the '16 either. When it gets full of stuff, the elastic band stretches out a little and the net sits down on the deck.

Comes in handy and it also helps keep grocery bags placed between the net and the back of the trunk from falling over or sliding. Occasionally something flat may slide under the net, but generally not a problem.

#22 ·
Has anyone installed a cargo net on a 2014 Accord?
Thanks to your post, I finally got off my butt and installed it over the weekend. There's about an inch of clearance under the net, it will not stop things from sliding unless you have something heavy in the net. I wasted one of the rivet nuts and had to improvise with a M6 hex nut and lock washer. I ended up using this for both upper anchors to avoid any drilling. At first I installed a rivnut in the square hole from the old hook, this was wrong and now I have to cut it out to put the hook back. This installation cost me $1.50 in washers and nuts, but took me over an hour because I was not properly equipped at first until I found the right tool for the job. Your choice on paying the dealer or paying yourself to do it.

Again, thanks for posting the thread and motivating me to finally put the damn thing in

Attachments

Reactions: 08EX-L
#24 ·
Nice job easymike!

Reactions: easymike
#25 ·
WOW Guys,

Thanks so much for all of your responses. 08 EX-L great pic and what I don't like is that the net is so far into the trunk - like half-way.

When I buy just a few groceries, I want the net to be say 8" from the front of the trunk. That's the way it was in my 2001 Acura TL. This makes so much sense, to hold just a few bags in tight, where you want to get them when you get home.

I kept the net from my TL and may just "Macgiver" it into place, where I want it.

Thanks again guys for your responses.

I love this site and will return often! Hopefully I can offer an opinion or two to your discussions.

P.S. I haven't seen many responses to my other post - what are the flaps in front of the front wheels for - aerodynamics?

#29 ·
Thanks again everyone for all the posts! Now I get it. Unlike my TL cargo net, this one is actually a "pocket" that you can store things in. My TL net was just one layer of netting, designed to hold things against the bumper side of the trunk. My dealer has quoted me $106 plus tax installed. I'm thinking I'll just go for it and let them do the drilling and rivnut shit! I could probably do it, but I don't need the hassle and I don't have the rivnut tool. OR do I McGiver the oversized TL net for free? Hmmm ...

Right now, I'm using it to hold a bottle of wiper fluid to the pre-installed hook, so that it stands upright and doesn't slide around. I've had a bottle of that leak all over the trunk lining and I didn't have the Honda trunk liner ... that thing is awesome!

Once again, loving this 9th gen forum! You guys are great!

#30 ·
I wanted the cargo net as far back as possible, so nothing goes behind it. I use the net to hold all the stuff I keep in the trunk, like jumper cables, emergency kit, windshield scrubber (for lovebug season), and a couple towels for spills. Don't any of you keep anything in the trunk? The cargo net keeps all that stuff to the back of the trunk, so it doesn't go sliding around. That way when the wife goes grocery shopping she can put all the bags between the cargo net and the bumper. I doubt all the grocery bags would fit inside the cargo net, and they would probably be on top of each other (lots of bags). It's just a cheapie net from Walmart, but it does the job.

#31 ·
Man, im tempted to do this, but that special tool needed is stopping me from proceeding with the buy. I have done all installs on my car and wouldnt think this is hard, but the fact that i need a tool worries me.

#32 ·
When I installed the cargo hooks I went to my local Acura dealer and used their tool in the service bay. It helped that I was buddies with the parts guy... but they might loan it out to you... or hey you can rent it from College Hills Honda.

Honda 6mm Rivet Nut Tool Rental - 07AAE-000A100

There are also instructions online on how to make one yourself. I tried... didn't come out too well lol.

#35 ·

Well I couldn't really decide between ordering a cargo net and attempting to install it myself or I seen my local dealer would do it for about $100 (parts & labor)... Before any of that I decided I might as well try a cheap alternative so I picked up this net at Target for $12 that is made by Turtle Wax so you know the quality is mediocre at best, but I figured I would give it a shot.
Installation time = 2 minutes.
Tools needed = hands.
Additional parts = budweiser (optional).
So far it seems to be exactly what I was looking for, just something to hold my jumper cables, my ice scraper, and my telescopic handle snow shovel from flying around the trunk, I'm going to toss my sunshade and a few rags and perhaps a tire pressure gauge along with a backup copy of 'The Vault' just in case something happens to the copy I keep in the cd player so things I rarely or occasionally use.. Well time will tell if the clips hold up overtime, but they have so far... The jumper cables in the bag didn't seem to ever move inside the trunk so I'm thinking they will hold the net from going forward or backwards and adding tension to the clips.
But so far I would highly recommend this product, especially since the clips actually seem to be made for the stock clips, like they just snapped on very tightly, but can be removed easily if needed...
I'm baffled that this net isn't made by Honda.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.