2017 Accord Touring vs EX-L w/Nav and Sensing - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 14Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 52 Old 12-25-2016, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 12
Thanks: 13
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
2017 Accord Touring vs EX-L w/Nav and Sensing

Hey all - new member here!

I am waffling between a 2017 Accord Touring and EX-L w/ Nav and Sensing (4 cyl) to buy before the end of the year and wanted to get some advice.

I LOVE the look, design and bells & whistles of the Touring, but I would mainly use this as my commuter car (20 miles round trip daily in moderate to heavy traffic).

My practical side is wondering why I should spend a couple grand more just to get things like heated rear seats, auto beam LED headlights, a spoiler decklid and a V-6 that has lower MPG when I could just get an EX-L with what looks like all the bells and whistles for a cheaper price.

Obviously I am paying the most for the V-6 in the Touring, but I really think the Touring also looks sleeker and more stylish - but wanted to get some insight from ya'll based on performance:
  • I really dislike the wheels on everything but the Touring - how easy is it to buy 19" rims and replace? (Like REALLY dislike - this would be a deal-breaker for me if getting 19" OEM wheels on the EX-L is a lot of $$ and effort).
  • Have heard overall handling and maneuverability with the Touring is far greater and has a noticeable difference - true?
  • Does the EX-L have parking sensors with the Sensing package? The Sedan spec sheet doesn't seem to show it does (just camera)

Any advice you can give before Tuesday would be SO helpful. TIA!

bwells3 is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 52 Old 12-25-2016, 10:58 PM
4th Gear
 
Merc6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Cleveland, Ohio East
Posts: 441
Thanks: 117
Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Garage
Wheels swap over as the Sport/SE also has them. The price of them plus side skirts and the trunk lip are all dependent of if you source the parts or try and have the dealer do all of that. Backup sensors also available after the fact in the accessories catalog.


2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD)
2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car)
Merc6 is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Merc6 For This Useful Post:
bwells3 (12-26-2016)
post #3 of 52 Old 12-26-2016, 06:43 AM
3rd Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 110
Thanks: 4
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
The V6 is awesome, linear power delivery and great highway MPGs. However, I struggle to hit 20 mpg in have traffic. During off Peake time I can get about 22-24 in the city.(Miami)

It comes down to what you want. Miles per gallon, or smiles per gallon?

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
labasV6 likes this.
Erabbit777 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Erabbit777 For This Useful Post:
bwells3 (12-26-2016)
 
post #4 of 52 Old 12-26-2016, 07:04 AM
5th Gear
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 893
Thanks: 0
Thanked 49 Times in 42 Posts
Incredible V6, better wheels and LED headlights. No brainer. Touring.

Over 5 years you only lose 50% of the value. So, you'll get 1/2 back when you sell the car.

2013 Accord EX-L V6 Navi Sedan - White Orchid Pearl / Ivory

Previous:
2005 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe - Satin Silver Metallic / Black
1995 Accord EX-L Sedan - Granada Black Metallic / Gray
vh2k is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to vh2k For This Useful Post:
bwells3 (12-26-2016)
post #5 of 52 Old 12-26-2016, 11:01 AM
V0X
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 38
Thanks: 2
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Garage
touring is an incredible value for what you get. Take this from someone coming from BMW.
V0X is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to V0X For This Useful Post:
bwells3 (12-26-2016)
post #6 of 52 Old 12-26-2016, 02:32 PM
2nd Gear
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 97
Thanks: 19
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Touring has automatic cruise control (or whatever Honda calls it). That's a really nice feature if you do a lot of highway driving. And the V6 is great if you're willing to sacrifice mileage for power.
lmacmil is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to lmacmil For This Useful Post:
bwells3 (12-26-2016)
post #7 of 52 Old 12-27-2016, 04:05 AM
Out of Control
 
II Kings 9:20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,851
Thanks: 131
Thanked 299 Times in 232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwells3 View Post
Hey all - new member here!

I am waffling between a 2017 Accord Touring and EX-L w/ Nav and Sensing (4 cyl) to buy before the end of the year and wanted to get some advice.

I LOVE the look, design and bells & whistles of the Touring, but I would mainly use this as my commuter car (20 miles round trip daily in moderate to heavy traffic).

My practical side is wondering why I should spend a couple grand more just to get things like heated rear seats, auto beam LED headlights, a spoiler decklid and a V-6 that has lower MPG when I could just get an EX-L with what looks like all the bells and whistles for a cheaper price.

Obviously I am paying the most for the V-6 in the Touring, but I really think the Touring also looks sleeker and more stylish - but wanted to get some insight from ya'll based on performance:
  • I really dislike the wheels on everything but the Touring - how easy is it to buy 19" rims and replace? (Like REALLY dislike - this would be a deal-breaker for me if getting 19" OEM wheels on the EX-L is a lot of $$ and effort).
  • Have heard overall handling and maneuverability with the Touring is far greater and has a noticeable difference - true?
  • Does the EX-L have parking sensors with the Sensing package? The Sedan spec sheet doesn't seem to show it does (just camera)

Any advice you can give before Tuesday would be SO helpful. TIA!
I have the 4 cyl and wish everyday I got the V6. The 4cyl is not even close. MPGs with the cruise on 70 is nearly the same and don't think you're getting 25 MPG city with the 4cyl because you won't. It is better than the V6 but not by enough to make up for the typical lackluster 4cyl driving experience. There was a day when the 4cyl doubled the MPG of a V8, but not with today's V6. Many V6 users here match the 4cyl MPGs on the freeway.


I HAVE NEVER HEARD ANYONE SAY, "I DON'T LIKE THE V6, I SURE WISH I HAD THE 4CYL".

I REALLY dislike the 4cyl. I have the V6 in my '15 MDX and it is excellent. If the 4cyl is so bad, why not get rid of it? It's paid for, has only 30K miles, superb crash test ratings, and Jr is driving it now and will take it to college in 1.5 years. The 4cyl is great for a student. In that sense, the 4cyl was a good choice in retrospect.

False: Suspension is the same on the Touring as the EX. Any perceived handling improvements are based on tires. I say perceived because at normal speeds under most circumstances, few if any will notice a difference in tires. Think about it, the last time you rented a car, did you know which tires it had based on your drive from the airport to the hotel? Some have said the Touring has a thicker sway bar? I don't know if that is accurate. The salesman won't have a clue and will tell you anything if he thinks it will get you to spend more. If that's important to know (I can't imagine why for picking one over the other) the best thing is to go to the parts counter and check the part # for both the EX and Touring. In my 4 years here I don't recall anyone ever saying the Touring handles "far better", in fact, I can't recall anyone saying it handles even a little better. Drive both which I imagine you've done already. The Touring has LED hedlights: Case Closed.

Edit: That's an expensive commuter for 20 miles round trip a day in traffic. Too bad you won't appreciate it's freeway manners where it really shines. If it's not going to be a road trip car, the 4 cyl might be OK.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
II Kings 9:20 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to II Kings 9:20 For This Useful Post:
bwells3 (12-27-2016)
post #8 of 52 Old 12-27-2016, 04:31 AM
Not there yet, but soon™
 
MONARK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 103
Thanks: 2
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Thumbs up Support & Success on The Best Deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwells3 View Post
Hey all - new member here!

I am waffling between a 2017 Accord Touring and EX-L w/ Nav and Sensing (4 cyl) to buy before the end of the year and wanted to get some advice.

I LOVE the look, design and bells & whistles of the Touring, but I would mainly use this as my commuter car (20 miles round trip daily in moderate to heavy traffic).

My practical side is wondering why I should spend a couple grand more just to get things like heated rear seats, auto beam LED headlights, a spoiler decklid and a V-6 that has lower MPG when I could just get an EX-L with what looks like all the bells and whistles for a cheaper price.

Obviously I am paying the most for the V-6 in the Touring, but I really think the Touring also looks sleeker and more stylish - but wanted to get some insight from ya'll based on performance:
  • I really dislike the wheels on everything but the Touring - how easy is it to buy 19" rims and replace? (Like REALLY dislike - this would be a deal-breaker for me if getting 19" OEM wheels on the EX-L is a lot of $$ and effort).
  • Have heard overall handling and maneuverability with the Touring is far greater and has a noticeable difference - true?
  • Does the EX-L have parking sensors with the Sensing package? The Sedan spec sheet doesn't seem to show it does (just camera)

Any advice you can give before Tuesday would be SO helpful. TIA!
@bwells3 You can only drive so fast before you get a ticket, unless you plan on using the V6 on a FAST & FURIOUS private track.
For A 20 mile round trip, the V6 is an overkill.
Get the sport or the base with 17" wheels. The LED lights won't make you see the road any better. Default lights look damn good too. (I own a 2017)
If you have a smart phone chances are your phone should already have the navi builtin already there.

You should be looking at $16k-$17K OTD +/- Estimate
Your next question should be what to do with all of the savings.
*Also go right now to the dealerships (at least 6) and ask for their best offer in writing and have them compete against one another.
*Don't get emotional or show your hand to the salesman. Do not tell them your budget. The End of the Year is when you have the Most Leverage (please use it.) Also look at my previous posts on how to get the best deal in town.


Best
MONARK
MONARK is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MONARK For This Useful Post:
bwells3 (12-27-2016)
post #9 of 52 Old 12-27-2016, 06:19 AM
5th Gear
 
WhiteOrchid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Nebraska, The Good Life
Posts: 936
Thanks: 2
Thanked 63 Times in 58 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post
False: Suspension is the same on the Touring as the EX. Any perceived handling improvements are based on tires. I say perceived because at normal speeds under most circumstances, few if any will notice a difference in tires. Think about it, the last time you rented a car, did you know which tires it had based on your drive from the airport to the hotel? Some have said the Touring has a thicker sway bar? I don't know if that is accurate. The salesman won't have a clue and will tell you anything if he thinks it will get you to spend more. If that's important to know (I can't imagine why for picking one over the other) the best thing is to go to the parts counter and check the part # for both the EX and Touring. In my 4 years here I don't recall anyone ever saying the Touring handles "far better", in fact, I can't recall anyone saying it handles even a little better. Drive both which I imagine you've done already. The Touring has LED hedlights: Case Closed.
Not entirely true. The Touring has bigger brakes and different (stiffer) dampers. Springs are the same. Sway bars are the same.
WhiteOrchid is offline  
post #10 of 52 Old 12-27-2016, 06:40 AM
6th Gear
 
TN9thSi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 1,289
Thanks: 39
Thanked 139 Times in 125 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by II Kings 9:20 View Post

False: Suspension is the same on the Touring as the EX. Any perceived handling improvements are based on tires. I say perceived because at normal speeds under most circumstances, few if any will notice a difference in tires. Think about it, the last time you rented a car, did you know which tires it had based on your drive from the airport to the hotel? Some have said the Touring has a thicker sway bar? I don't know if that is accurate. The salesman won't have a clue and will tell you anything if he thinks it will get you to spend more. If that's important to know (I can't imagine why for picking one over the other) the best thing is to go to the parts counter and check the part # for both the EX and Touring. In my 4 years here I don't recall anyone ever saying the Touring handles "far better", in fact, I can't recall anyone saying it handles even a little better. Drive both which I imagine you've done already.......
Actually, your statement is False. For 2016, Honda gave Touring Sedans and Coupes new Amplitude Reactive Dampers. From Honda's news site:

"Amplitude Reactive Dampers are used for the first time on Accord, on the 2016 Sedan and Coupe in Touring trim. Amplitude Reactive Dampers deliver a superior level of ride comfort together with crisp, precise handling. The dampers operate in two distinct performance parameters: a Ride Zone and a Handling Zone. Each zone has a unique set of compression and rebound damping forces tailored to provide the desired ride and handling attributes. In essence, the amplitude reactive dampers operate like two separate suspension systems combined in one. The new dampers are entirely mechanical in operation with no electronics required."


Now, whether these new dampers actually make a noticeable difference in day-to-day driving, who knows. I'm sure there's a comparison to be found if one were to search. And don't forget, the Touring and Sport for 2016 also got larger brake rotors than the other trims.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L | CVT | WOP | Black/Ivory
- Huper Optik Ceramic 30 Tint
- 18" V6 Coupe Wheels
- Morimoto 5,500k Elite HID Lows
- Morimoto XB3 LED Fogs
TN9thSi is online now  
post #11 of 52 Old 12-27-2016, 08:29 AM
Out of Control
 
Flyboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Dallas Texas
Posts: 5,222
Thanks: 13
Thanked 462 Times in 371 Posts
No one can tell you if spending extra money to get the top of the line is worth the benefits. I use my car basically as a commuter and I have the I4 which works beautifully while delivering a solid 32 MPG. The V6 has some drawbacks such as being an older technology engine, having to replace the timing belt every 100,000 miles and a more complex system having cylinder deactivation to achieve better highway milage.

Some considerations are:
Honda's Navigation system is an older system and requires purchasing an update CD annually. Use your smart phone or buy a portable GPS for less than $100 with lifetime traffic updates. I have no problem finding my way the 22 miles from my house to my office daily. I carry a portable GPS that I use in renal cars when I travel.
The back up sensor is an option on the EX-L for a couple of hundred dollars, but the backup camera works just fine for parallel parking and not running over your kids.
Having LED lights is worthless in my opinion because a light is a light. After a while you won't notice or care about the difference while stuck in a traffic jam.
The spoiler is useless and looks like an after thought. You can change out the wheels if they really bother you but after a couple of incidences with a curb the wheels don't seem too bad. You can buy the spoiler as after market item cheaper than buying the Touring but it won't affect the performance of the car.
I live in Texas and hardly ever use the front heated seats and rarely does anyone sit in the back seat.

A car is a depreciating asset and buying more car than you will use is a waste of money. I can find more useful things to spend a couple of thousand dollars doing rather than having LED headlights and a backup sensor. I do think the Honda Sensing system is worth the money. My 2013 has the predecessor of the Honda Sensing and it's a nice safety feature.

However, it's your money do with it as you please.
johnjohn15 likes this.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
Flyboy is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Flyboy For This Useful Post:
bwells3 (12-27-2016)
post #12 of 52 Old 12-27-2016, 08:43 AM
Out of Control
 
II Kings 9:20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,851
Thanks: 131
Thanked 299 Times in 232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOrchid View Post
Not entirely true. The Touring has bigger brakes and different (stiffer) dampers. Springs are the same. Sway bars are the same.
OK I reserve the right to be corrected. Bigger brakes are always desired. Stiffer dampers but springs and sway bars are the same. OK. I'll still say stiffer shocks won't make for "far" better handling, perhaps somewhat better but without springs and sway bars, I doubt one could tell much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN9thSi View Post
Actually, your statement is False. For 2016, Honda gave Touring Sedans and Coupes new Amplitude Reactive Dampers. From Honda's news site:

"Amplitude Reactive Dampers are used for the first time on Accord, on the 2016 Sedan and Coupe in Touring trim. Amplitude Reactive Dampers deliver a superior level of ride comfort together with crisp, precise handling. The dampers operate in two distinct performance parameters: a Ride Zone and a Handling Zone. Each zone has a unique set of compression and rebound damping forces tailored to provide the desired ride and handling attributes. In essence, the amplitude reactive dampers operate like two separate suspension systems combined in one. The new dampers are entirely mechanical in operation with no electronics required."


Now, whether these new dampers actually make a noticeable difference in day-to-day driving, who knows. I'm sure there's a comparison to be found if one were to search. And don't forget, the Touring and Sport for 2016 also got larger brake rotors than the other trims.
Obviously I missed the memo where Honda added the new dampers. Good info to post, Still very doubtful that "far" better handling is achieved, but as you say, who knows without a comparison.

In real world sane driving, I doubt I could tell a difference. Bigger brakes are great but as we all know, do nothing for handling just as AWD does nothing for braking. In fact, racers might argue that higher unsprung weight negatively affects handling. I'll take that negligible theoretical risk if I get better stopping. Do the bigger brakes provide shorter stopping? Not much, and the variability could be more based on ambient temp and test conditions than brakes. 2013 Touring C&D 178 ft from 70. 2016 Touring C&D 176 ft from 70

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
II Kings 9:20 is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to II Kings 9:20 For This Useful Post:
bwells3 (12-27-2016)
post #13 of 52 Old 12-27-2016, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 12
Thanks: 13
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks Monark - your "How much did you pay for your 9th gen Accord" thread is fantastic!

I have about 7+ dealers competing for my business. I collected first round of price proposals today and the lowest for the Touring I've received is $30,497. Still waiting on a few more to come in tomorrow morning, then I will share the lowest price with the others and allow them to make a counter offer.

I did get a competitive bid for $30,923, but they are offering me two options of accessories (option 1 rear brake light modification, wheel locks, a stripe and door edge guards.

The second has the Honda Pro Pack ( All Season Mats, Cargo Tray, Splash Guards) door edge guards and door cups.

This is a competitive proposal, but I don't need all the accessories - makes me think they can go lower and are throwing accessories in to build in some extra profit padding. The good news is I can smoke them out with the slightly lower $30.9K offer.

All opinions are welcome - I'm hellbent on getting a good deal!
bwells3 is offline  
post #14 of 52 Old 12-28-2016, 12:51 AM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 13
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I say go for the V6 Touring... only because that's what I did.
p0tent is offline  
post #15 of 52 Old 12-28-2016, 05:01 AM
6th Gear
 
Kamdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New York
Posts: 1,076
Thanks: 67
Thanked 144 Times in 114 Posts
What will you do with your car on the weekends when you are not commuting?


2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT
2003 LX MT
Kamdog is online now  
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome