FREE Intake Mod For 9th Gens (2013-2017) - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old 01-01-2017, 08:45 AM Thread Starter
Mechanical Stig

FREE Intake Mod For 9th Gens (2013-2017)

Everyone that is thinking about getting a SRI for their Accords should try this before purchasing their desired intake. Very easy to remove and reinstall and it won't stick out like a sore thumb at the dealership

DIY video:

Sounds clips (you can hear the VTEC crossover at 5k RPMs):

0-60mph/0-100km/h:

2017 Honda Odyssey TE - VCMuzzler - OEM Footwell LED Mod - Rear LED Reflectors -
2017 Honda Accord EX-L
2014 Honda Civic EX-L
2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L (USDM AF!) VCMuzzler - Catless Downpipe/Pre Cat Deletes - Third Cat Delete - Custom K&N SRI With Cold Air Scoop - TB Coolant Bypass - Thermal Gaskets - BC Coilovers - Dyno Tuned
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 01-01-2017, 09:20 AM
4th Gear

Garage
So this is just a noise difference? I remember on my old 2000 Toyota
Celica, there was a similar mod called the butterfly valve delete which did increase airflow by a marginal amount.

post #3 of 28 Old 01-01-2017, 10:29 AM
2nd Gear

free mods are cool. I won't do this to mine tho. I did a similar trick to my 05 Camry. It seemed a little more doggy down low but pulled a little harder up top. Way way back in the day we did a similar thing to 5.0 mustangs and added a k&n....it was referred to as the baffle or noise silencer. That v8 was so choked from the factory lol. Ford really pulled out all of the stops to make a v8 that was rated at 205 hp. On the flip side, an aftermarket company made a ram air kit with a scoop that mounted under the front bumper and attached to the factory air box. If somebody made a ram air kit for the accord, I'd cop along with a nice panel filter, no lie.

I think the main issue with any of the supposed cold air kits is the way air flow is disrupted before entry. The factory setups and even ram air kits, shoot even the factory setup is a mild case of ram air, do away with what I believe is referred to as turbulence.

post #4 of 28 Old 01-01-2017, 11:10 AM
Elvira

First: Nice videos
Second: great "do I really want to hear the intake noise?" trial without sinking good money into the SRI.
Third: This can come in handy during the rainy season if you live in an area with a great possibility of flooding.

Seriously, this will raise the point of ingress of water if you need to drive through, or get thrown into, a flooded area.
If you aren't aware, there is a small weep hole in the bottom of the resonator along with some seams that WILL allow water to enter into the intake tube and cause hydro-lock.

There was an unlucky member here that went through a seemingly innocuous puddle but was deep enough to enter the resonator. He did unfortunately hydro-lock his engine.

I actually open the top of the filter box and prop the filter to eliminate that possibility and only temporarily mind you.

As for free stuff.....

"Free's for me, I'll take three !"

EDIT: here's the link Drove through a puddle of water. Anything I need to worry about?

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous

Please help improve the DA search function add tags to your/others posts and threads. Anyone can add tags to any thread. TIA
post #5 of 28 Old 01-01-2017, 11:49 AM
2nd Gear

Definitely props on the enginuity. It makes me wonder how well the setup might work. I definitely could use some engine influenced cabin noise. I also wonder how well the setup might work if you removed the forward intake tubing for space, scrapped the panel filter and ran a cone filter off the under side of the air box
post #6 of 28 Old 01-01-2017, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Mechanical Stig

Whoa, 4 people replied to this thread and I didn't get the notifications...

You really can't tell the difference in the video but there is more intake/induction noise over 3k-4k RPMs and you can clearly hear the VTEC kick in yo at 5k RPMs. The good thing of this mod is you can't hear the intake under normal driving conditions (sounds stock) once you start hammering it you can hear it. The only downside is now the whole resonator assembly is just sitting there doing nothing. What you can do is remove the whole assembly (which requires you to remove the front bumper cover) and run your own cold air scoop to the intake. Something similar to this:

IMHO, I rather do this mod with an drop-in high flowing filter over buying a $275+ intake.

2017 Honda Odyssey TE - VCMuzzler - OEM Footwell LED Mod - Rear LED Reflectors -
2017 Honda Accord EX-L
2014 Honda Civic EX-L
2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L (USDM AF!) VCMuzzler - Catless Downpipe/Pre Cat Deletes - Third Cat Delete - Custom K&N SRI With Cold Air Scoop - TB Coolant Bypass - Thermal Gaskets - BC Coilovers - Dyno Tuned
post #7 of 28 Old 01-01-2017, 12:47 PM
2nd Gear

I agree with your last comment mr zr1. For 275 I'd rather have the sport grill. Is this a cvt car? If it is, after you get a chance to ring it out, please let me know if it helps smooth out that hump the cvt has around 25-30 mph. When I take off from lights and I usually have Econ on, the car takes off fine, but then it stalls for a bit. I've been dropping it in S after leaving in D to move past that point of accelleration and it helps but the car still does it even when I launch in S. I don't know if it's a torque converter thing or what but I'd like a smoother accel to vtec yo time lol.
post #8 of 28 Old 01-01-2017, 12:48 PM
Out of Control

So, this crude intake "mod" (using the term loosely) is just about making more noise?

Somewhat immature, IMO. But, hey, who cares?

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM
post #9 of 28 Old 01-01-2017, 01:20 PM
2nd Gear

Finally some attention to this awesome mod. I did this shortly after I got the car, I pulled the whole resonator out and swapped in a K&N filter. Sounds great, and IATs stay a consistent 9F above ambient with minimal heat soak at stops. Next mod I want to do is add a "velocity stack" type funnel on the end and craft up some funnels inside the box to smooth out flow as it transitions both in and out of the box. I'd have a really hard time believing after those two additions that any CAI would offer an improvement in HP.

2015 V6AT Coupe

RV6 Jpipe
Muffler Delete
KTuner
Megan Coilovers
25.4mm Acura RSB
18x9 Enkei RPF1s - 11lb under stock
Enough audio equipment to make all of that pointless
post #10 of 28 Old 01-01-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Mechanical Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycar View Post
So, this crude intake "mod" (using the term loosely) is just about making more noise?

Somewhat immature, IMO. But, hey, who cares?
Are you jealous because you have a V6?

This isn't just for the sound, you WILL gain 1-3 MPGs if you don't stomp it everywhere. I did this same mod on my last accord and also on other cars and it did improve throttle response and MPGs.

Don't be quick to judge @Graycar

2017 Honda Accord EX-L
2014 Honda Civic EX-L
post #11 of 28 Old 01-01-2017, 01:41 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRangerZr1 View Post
Are you jealous because you have a V6?
Is it even possible for a V6 owner/driver to be "jealous" of an I4 owner/driver?

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM
post #12 of 28 Old 01-01-2017, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Mechanical Stig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graycar View Post
Is it even possible for a V6 owner/driver to be "jealous" of an I4 owner/driver?
Everything is possible.

Just a name a few possible ways: We don't need to worry about our spark plugs, our piston rings, and oil consumption.

2017 Honda Accord EX-L
2014 Honda Civic EX-L
post #13 of 28 Old 01-01-2017, 02:36 PM
2nd Gear

If you want to see v6 jealousy, just go to the 10th gen thread...what's that stuff called again? Oh I know, it's turbo envy lol. From what you said about the mpg's, I'll give it a shot too. Thanks Mr ZR1
post #14 of 28 Old 01-01-2017, 03:50 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRangerZr1 View Post
[B]you WILL gain 1-3 MPGs
I call BS on this...Although you are creating more of a hot air intake which theoretically increases MPG while decreasing performance

I highly doubt this little interruption in airflow increases mpg 10% on the average 4cyl
WhiteOrchid likes this.

-2014 Accord Sport
post #15 of 28 Old 01-01-2017, 04:15 PM
BRWNFLSH now

Seems to me this would just make noise, and draw in more hot air from around the engine. How would that increase MPG or throttle response? I don't see the stock intake as all that restrictive, and it's routed toward the front of the car for a reason, right?

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 8000 miles so far
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.