How do I properly drive in "S" mode? It's in the owners manual - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 01-06-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter
My First Post

Smile How do I properly drive in "S" mode? It's in the owners manual

Hello! I just got a new used Honda Accord Sport 2014 and I noticed when I shift to "S" there are +(plus) and -(minus) on each side of my steering wheel. I was wondering how do these work. Thank you!

Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 01-06-2017, 02:14 PM
4th Gear

How do I properly drive in "S" mode?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frapxc View Post
Hello! I just got a new used Honda Accord Sport 2014 and I noticed when I shift to "S" there are +(plus) and -(minus) on each side of my steering wheel. I was wondering how do these work. Thank you!

It's like driving a manual, when you get to 3.5k rpm or so, you have to press the (+) sign towards you and when you slow down or below 3k rmp you have to press the (-) but it's automatically downshift for you if you don't.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ JetBlack using Tapatalk

WOP 2016 Accord Sport
5%R- 25%F window tint
AppleCarPlay-AndroidAuto ready
WeatherTech front, rear and trunk floor mats
WeatherTech window visors
35W-6K Alpha Series Xenon HID Headlight System
Pioner AVH-4200NEX HU
NVX front speakers + NVX tweeters
NVX JAD900.5 Class D AMP
10" Pioneer Sub
BlackVue DR650 DashCam with T-POWER Plus Alpha battery pack
post #3 of 27 Old 01-07-2017, 05:50 AM
JasonR

Send a message via AIM to jreuschl Send a message via MSN to jreuschl Send a message via Yahoo to jreuschl
I wish you could leave it in S mode. The cruising RPM is too high.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

post #4 of 27 Old 01-07-2017, 07:13 AM
1st Gear

Just get a manual gear box !!.....That's the way driving was meant to be. No electronics, just gears
Pdubois, accordguy_2016 and Merc6 like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to jimsAccord For This Useful Post:
Merc6 (01-11-2017)
post #5 of 27 Old 01-07-2017, 07:33 AM
Your Maintenance Minder

Thanked 1,606 Times in 1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimsAccord View Post
Just get an OWNER'S manual.....
Fixed it for you!
post #6 of 27 Old 01-07-2017, 07:54 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Fixed it for you!
MANUAL TRANSMISSION.....GEAR BOX.....6 SPEED.....

So I left out some important words
Merc6 likes this.

2016 EX Coupe 6 Speed Commuter
2015 Q5 Weekend Family Car
2012 Golf 'R' Weekend FUN Car :)
post #7 of 27 Old 01-07-2017, 01:00 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Just get a manual gear box !!.....That's the way driving was meant to be. No electronics, just gears
You are correct for the first half of the 20th century. Unfortunately, the rest of your car is loaded with computers and electronics. Kind of like watching HD TV in monochrome.
qman likes this.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #8 of 27 Old 01-07-2017, 03:19 PM
又一位第八代雅阁双门车主

Garage
Quote:
MANUAL TRANSMISSION.....GEAR BOX.....6 SPEED.....

So I left out some important words
Manuals are fun from what I heard, especially if you have a powerful car.

Well, if OP lives in a place with bad traffic at peak hours, CVT/auto will be a much better option. The sport mode is still good to have if the roads free up and on highways. I always wanted a manual/paddle shift on highways, but when I am driving around uni, I would much prefer a transmission that won't make me curse like a sailor by the time I get out.

And good luck finding a used stick shift car. And even better luck finding one that's not abused so you don't have to replace the clutch soon.

My first car!

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT+VCM PMM

Mods and such things:

AFE Pro Dry S drop-in filter
HFP body kit
RGR-16D HFP Alloy Wheels
i-VTEC & 3.5 stickers(+10 HP each)(JKLOL)
High and Low beams - Philips CrystalVision Ultra
Front turn signals - HV 6000K white/amber switchback
Rear lights - Philips Vision LEDs
Interior LEDs
Crosstour shift knob
OEM footwell lights
and more!

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT(bone stock, learning stick on this one)
post #9 of 27 Old 01-07-2017, 07:14 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
You are correct for the first half of the 20th century. Unfortunately, the rest of your car is loaded with computers and electronics. Kind of like watching HD TV in monochrome.
First off, we are talking about manual transmissions....I agree that the rest of the car is mostly electronics.
Not sure if I'm showing my age, but IMO, most young drivers are lazy or have not learned how to drive a manual trans. It may be the "I'm Entitled to EVERYTHING in the World" attitude, that includes driving in traffic with 2 pedals. STOP n GO, STOP n GO, STOP n GO. Not much to think about or work at and not too complicated.

2016 EX Coupe 6 Speed Commuter
2015 Q5 Weekend Family Car
2012 Golf 'R' Weekend FUN Car :)
post #10 of 27 Old 01-07-2017, 07:46 PM
又一位第八代雅阁双门车主

Garage
Quote:
First off, we are talking about manual transmissions....I agree that the rest of the car is mostly electronics.
Not sure if I'm showing my age, but IMO, most young drivers are lazy or have not learned how to drive a manual trans. It may be the "I'm Entitled to EVERYTHING in the World" attitude, that includes driving in traffic with 2 pedals. STOP n GO, STOP n GO, STOP n GO. Not much to think about or work at and not too complicated.
To be honest, yes, I am kinda lazy, although I do not have an "I deserve everything" attitude. But at the same time, I much prefer to have the options of choosing between auto and manual. Auto when the traffic is bad or I just feel lazy, manual if I want to have fun. Best of the two worlds.

That said, I will see if I can score a deal on a crappy old manual car to learn how to drive a real manual car. Good life skill to have IMO.

I do want to emphasize on what I said before, though:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
And good luck finding a used stick shift car. And even better luck finding one that's not abused so you don't have to replace the clutch soon.
I would assume you bought your car new, but if you go to any dealerships, you would probably notice the pathetic number of used stick shift cars there. It's not even technically right to say "standard transmission" anymore because you can't have a standard that's less than 5% of the population. When I was looking at my Accord, all the other Accords around me are all auto shifters. The only one that's not is a 2015 6/6 that costs twice of my 8th Gen V6 5AT. Not gonna happen. And most people drive manual cars like spirited driving, so they can all end up in pretty bad shape, too. They just sell them and let the new owner deal with an almost dead clutch.

While I would like to learn it, I would probably figure out what I actually want and not regret after learning how to drive a manual car and living with one for a little bit, rather than making decisions based on my emotions. I don't think judging everyone based on your need is exactly fair because their needs can be different. Maybe OP shares his/her car with someone who can't be bothered to drive a manual, maybe OP lives somewhere with bad traffic. Even if they are lazy, I wouldn't judge it. Everyone has their stories.

My first car!

Mods and such things:

HFP body kit
RGR-16D HFP Alloy Wheels
Interior LEDs
Crosstour shift knob
OEM footwell lights
and more!

post #11 of 27 Old 01-07-2017, 10:50 PM
5th Gear

Tap the + when you reach the rev limiter (rpm's don't climb any higher). In city driving, you could probably get away with staying in a single gear (up to 30 or 35 mph, whatever the speed is at redline in 1st).

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #12 of 27 Old 01-09-2017, 05:06 AM
1st Gear

Lazy? Entitled? What are you on about its a Accord not a Evo BRZ. there is a reason they not sold in manual often completely different market focus.
post #13 of 27 Old 01-09-2017, 07:21 AM
Your Maintenance Minder

Thanked 1,606 Times in 1,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flight573 View Post
Lazy? Entitled? What are you on about its a Accord not a Evo BRZ. there is a reason they not sold in manual often completely different market focus.
I have no idea what this means. Something must have been lost in Google Translate.
post #14 of 27 Old 01-09-2017, 08:53 PM
又一位第八代雅阁双门车主

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
I have no idea what this means. Something must have been lost in Google Translate.
He just means that just because person driving auto shift cars doesn't mean they are lazy/ feel entitled. Some cars are also not offered in MT options(he's wrong about the Accords, obviously; loads of manual Accord owners here on DA) because people getting them would see MT as a hassle rather than fun.

Yes, I can see how a MT muscle can be fun; even a new I4 Accord can be, but driving an old MT econobox is a completely different story. One of my wealthier friends got a 2015 VW GTI Golf. Obviously, he's not trying to save money, he just prefers the MT. And then there is another friend who inherited some cheap MT car from their parents, and he will tell you how much he hates their car and can't wait to get rid of it. This is why lower end MT cars are dying; their only purpose now is pretty much for people to learn how to drive a MT car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
Tap the + when you reach the rev limiter (rpm's don't climb any higher). In city driving, you could probably get away with staying in a single gear (up to 30 or 35 mph, whatever the speed is at redline in 1st).
I am not sure about the I4s, but if I floor it on my 8th Gen V6, it would be around 55 km/h(35 MPH) when the car shifts at fuel cutoff, which is just before it hits the redline(that VTAKKKKKKKKK!). I would guess the 1st gears on I4s would go up to 30 MPH, but that's just a guess. In city driving, it's kinda dumb to shift that late, unless it's clear. It's mostly fun on the highways.

My first car!

Mods and such things:

HFP body kit
RGR-16D HFP Alloy Wheels
Interior LEDs
Crosstour shift knob
OEM footwell lights
and more!

post #15 of 27 Old 01-11-2017, 02:03 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPz1100 View Post
I think you'll find that the S-mode doesn't really work that well. In the few times I've used S-mode with the paddles, half the time it shifts 1k before redline, whether you like it or not.

2013 Accord Sport | Obsidian Blue Pearl
Mods:
  • TRS 5500K HID Bulbs
  • Zenex Ballasts
  • Image Dynamics CXS-62v2 Components
  • Soundstream TN5.950D amp
  • Audison Bit Ten DSP
Previous: 2004 Jeep Liberty 4x4
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.