Is this scratch removable? - Page 2 - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #16 of 19 Old 01-08-2017, 12:37 AM
3rd Gear

It was a plastic cap, that scratch isn't deep. It can be polished out, if not by hand then certainly by machine. There's a whole world of detailing knowledge out there. You can either learn it and remove the scratch yourself, or pay a detailer to do it. In either case, don't worry. It can be removed.

2006 Accord SE I4 5AT Sedan - Graphite Pearl - 85k mi
The Following User Says Thank You to derass For This Useful Post:
y0Mark (01-08-2017)
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 Old 01-08-2017, 11:47 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by derass View Post
It was a plastic cap, that scratch isn't deep. It can be polished out, if not by hand then certainly by machine. There's a whole world of detailing knowledge out there. You can either learn it and remove the scratch yourself, or pay a detailer to do it. In either case, don't worry. It can be removed.
Yup, you're right! I managed to get rid of it using Meguiar's compound and lightly polish the area. I really need to let the novelty of a new car settle down haha.

post #18 of 19 Old 01-09-2017, 11:24 AM
3rd Gear

This is a great video on how to do a clearcoat scratch removal. The woman is one of the girls on "All Girls Garage." When I saw this video, it gave me some thoughts for my spring detailing. The title is: How to Remove a Scratch in Car Paint - For Beginners!

2014 Crystal Black Pearl Touring
Previous HONDA products:
'08 Acura TL
'09 Pilot EXL RES
'05 Pilot EXL RES
'02 Odyssey EX
'96 Accord EX wagon
'92 Accord EX coupe

post #19 of 19 Old 01-09-2017, 05:33 PM
3rd Gear

I'm not too sure about that method.

A big philosophy in the detailing world is "start with the least aggressive method". It's hard to tell how deep those scratches are, but jumping right to sand paper is absolutely nuts, especially for beginners! I don't know enough about wet/dry sanding to comment any further. But that's only because I've never encountered paint damage bad enough that I've needed to learn!

I even think OP jumped the gun going straight to compound, but if my assumption is correct, he likely used Meguiars Ultimate Compound which is very forgiving and generally finishes last step product (LSP) ready. A more aggressive compound would have needed a polishing step.

2006 Accord SE I4 5AT Sedan - Graphite Pearl - 85k mi
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.