ADMIT IT - Honda Nailed the Electric Power Steering - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old 01-06-2017, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
5th Gear

ADMIT IT - Honda Nailed the Electric Power Steering

I owned a 2005 Accord V6 Coupe... so, I know how great Honda's hydraulic power steering was.

But, innovation and progress have led virtually all auto companies to move to electric power steering.

Let's give Honda some credit here. Honda did a pretty amazing job nailing the EPS in the 9G Accord.

It's relatively light at low speed, firms up with acceleration, has great feel, and is dead-on-balls accurate maintaining center feel with no correction needed at highway speed. Honda did a phenomenal job.

BMW and some other "performance" brands have implemented EPS that delivers no road feel, no or numb feedback, terrible return to center, and awful on-center behavior requiring constant micro-corrections and they have been absolutely ripped to shreds by reviewers for a better part of this decade.

It really is a miracle Honda got this so right. When I read a review (and there are lots of them) that mentions a $60K sports sedan with numb steering with no feedback, I have to sit back and laugh. Steering feel and handling are supposed to be in the DNA of BMW, etc. But many of those guys got it wrong and introduced cars with embarrassing steering characteristics.

What do you think? I, for one, am amazed and proud that Honda did their homework and got the EPS right in the 9G.

08EX-L likes this.

2013 Accord EX-L V6 Navi Sedan - White Orchid Pearl / Ivory

Previous:
2005 Accord EX-L V6 Coupe - Satin Silver Metallic / Black
1995 Accord EX-L Sedan - Granada Black Metallic / Gray
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 01-06-2017, 05:41 PM
6th Gear

Oh god. Get out much?

How do you explain the Electric Power Steering (EPS) torque sensor issue? Or the DTC's 53-01 and 53-02?

Thanks

+++++
2013 Accord EX-L sedan
post #3 of 41 Old 01-06-2017, 06:04 PM
6th Gear

Send a message via AIM to vasekvi Send a message via Yahoo to vasekvi
I actually like it too. I noticed that it lightened up quite a bit to assist when I was turning the wheel alot in a tight parking situation also. I think it's just about perfectly weighted in all situations.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
Merc6 likes this.

post #4 of 41 Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 PM
1st Gear

Oh they've nailed it. Had to replace my EPS module at 70k or so. Found one from a wrecked Honda got it for the low tho. Mine never seemed to firm up at higher speeds... 🙃

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

2013 CBP Accord Sport Sedan 6MT
- Airlift Performance Struts & V2 manifold, 3/8th lines Viair 444c, 4GAL
- aFe SRI, RV6 PCD
- 5k Phillips LMZ, 3k HID Fogs - Projector Retrofit, 3k DRL/HB, all halogens converted to LED
- JBL Power series components & 2 ways, CT75.4, Sundown Audio X15 on a CT sounds AT1400.1, XS Power D3400R & D5100R, 0/1 Big 3

Prvious Rides:
2012 Accord CBP Coupe 5MT (stock)
post #5 of 41 Old 01-06-2017, 07:00 PM
Out of Control

I agree they nailed it (as long as it doesn't fail as some have) and I like it too. My 04 Rx-8 was superb as well. Hated the hydraulic steering on my 300C. It was supposed to be based on the E class but stank both in steering, ride, and suspension. An expensive cheap car.

Ex-L 4cyl, White Pearl/Ivory
Honda factory LED Touring Headlight, 3M Di-NOC Bubinga wood vinyl dash trim, Horn Upgrade, LED interior, trunk, license, Splash Guards

II Kings 9:20-"The driving is like the driving of Jehu the son of Nimshi, for he driveth furiously."
post #6 of 41 Old 01-06-2017, 07:32 PM
Cruisin'

Garage
Only thing I don't like is that it's too light. Wish I knew how to stiffen up the steering a bit.
The Following User Says Thank You to versedispersed For This Useful Post:
highvolts (01-15-2017)
post #7 of 41 Old 01-07-2017, 05:07 AM
Lebowski Urban Achiever

I think it's OK but my '13 tends to wander at highway speeds. 2nd set of (different) tires did not help the issue. Otherwise, I like the setup and don't miss the complexity of a hydraulic system.

'13 Accord LX 6MT (carport queen)
'06 Ford Focus ZXW Wagon 2.0L Auto (worker bee)
'06 Shadow (therapist)
'05 Murray 3.5 HP push mower (gym)
post #8 of 41 Old 01-07-2017, 05:19 AM
Out of Control

Garage
I agree with the OP. Steering feel is one of the reasons I've been coming back to Honda time and time again for 30 years. And my '15 Sport is the best of the bunch I've owned.
post #9 of 41 Old 01-07-2017, 06:01 AM
2nd Gear

Agree. Steering feel is better than what I had on my BMW. For that I had to enter Sport mode, which firmed the steering and the suspension but also made undesired changes to the engine parameters. I would have preferred the ability to change steering/suspension/engine parameters independently.

Can't change anything in my Accord (other than enabling ECO mode), but the overall balance is pretty good.

Bob
Master Sergeant, USAF (retired)
post #10 of 41 Old 01-07-2017, 07:49 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
I owned a 2005 Accord V6 Coupe... so, I know how great Honda's hydraulic power steering was.

But, innovation and progress have led virtually all auto companies to move to electric power steering.

Let's give Honda some credit here. Honda did a pretty amazing job nailing the EPS in the 9G Accord.

It's relatively light at low speed, firms up with acceleration, has great feel, and is dead-on-balls accurate maintaining center feel with no correction needed at highway speed. Honda did a phenomenal job.

BMW and some other "performance" brands have implemented EPS that delivers no road feel, no or numb feedback, terrible return to center, and awful on-center behavior requiring constant micro-corrections and they have been absolutely ripped to shreds by reviewers for a better part of this decade.

It really is a miracle Honda got this so right. When I read a review (and there are lots of them) that mentions a $60K sports sedan with numb steering with no feedback, I have to sit back and laugh. Steering feel and handling are supposed to be in the DNA of BMW, etc. But many of those guys got it wrong and introduced cars with embarrassing steering characteristics.

What do you think? I, for one, am amazed and proud that Honda did their homework and got the EPS right in the 9G.
I dunno, it's hard to say really. I have read reviews on BMW forums about how they really messed up the steering and chassis on the 3-series when they redesigned it in 2012 but I've never even driven a BMW. But I've read lots of comments in BMW forums and a lot of them say the steering is really bad.

I will give Honda credit that the steering in the 9th Gen Accord is pretty good. It's definitely not as good as the hydraulic PS in my '03 Accord was but, we've gone to electric so, unfortunately, that's to be expected.

That being said, I felt the steering in the VW Passat I drove was a little better...as was the steering in the Mazda 6. The steering in the Nissan Altima was not quite as good as the Accord. The steering in the VW GTI was the best of all. Funny, I remember the steering in a Volvo S60 was not as good as the Accord and that was a $45K car. It wasn't bad...just not as precise as the Accord. I test drove all of these cars in 2013 when I was shopping for my Accord.

So, yeh, for a $25K car I'd say the steering is pretty good. But if you ever get a chance, go test drive a GTI or Mini...much better steering, but a totally different car, too. And it won't have the reliability or resale value of the Accord. All depends on what you want out of a car really.

Given the choice, however, I'd go back to the hydraulic PS and double wishbone suspension (front and rear) that was on my '03 Accord. That was a much better handling car than the 9th Gen is IMHO.

Current: 2013 EX-L CVT Accord Sedan
Alabaster Silver Metallic with Gray Leather

Previous: 2003 LX Accord Sedan 5-Speed AT, 1996 DX Accord Sedan 5-Speed MT
post #11 of 41 Old 01-07-2017, 08:08 AM
4th Gear

Agree. I never think of it, because it doesn't do anything to displease me. It's that good.
vh2k, Slides and Pdubois like this.
post #12 of 41 Old 01-07-2017, 09:52 AM
Out of Control

I own three Honda automobiles that have electric power steering. The first one is a 06 Fit. At the time I was driving a 2000 Accord V6 Coupe with hydraulic power steering and I couldn't tell the difference. Since then both my 2013 Accord and my wife's 2015 CR-V have electric power steering and they both operate correctly and smoothly reduce the power boost with increasing speed and have good road feel.

Replacing engine driven accessories with electric ones has boosted fuel economy and permits good performance from smaller engines. It's more efficient to produce electricity from the engine to drive accessories rather than belts to drive pumps. I expect electrically driven AC compressors to come along in non EV vehicles.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #13 of 41 Old 01-07-2017, 11:05 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve88 View Post
I dunno, it's hard to say really. I have read reviews on BMW forums about how they really messed up the steering and chassis on the 3-series when they redesigned it in 2012 but I've never even driven a BMW. But I've read lots of comments in BMW forums and a lot of them say the steering is really bad.

I will give Honda credit that the steering in the 9th Gen Accord is pretty good. It's definitely not as good as the hydraulic PS in my '03 Accord was but, we've gone to electric so, unfortunately, that's to be expected.

That being said, I felt the steering in the VW Passat I drove was a little better...as was the steering in the Mazda 6. The steering in the Nissan Altima was not quite as good as the Accord. The steering in the VW GTI was the best of all. Funny, I remember the steering in a Volvo S60 was not as good as the Accord and that was a $45K car. It wasn't bad...just not as precise as the Accord. I test drove all of these cars in 2013 when I was shopping for my Accord.

So, yeh, for a $25K car I'd say the steering is pretty good. But if you ever get a chance, go test drive a GTI or Mini...much better steering, but a totally different car, too. And it won't have the reliability or resale value of the Accord. All depends on what you want out of a car really.

Given the choice, however, I'd go back to the hydraulic PS and double wishbone suspension (front and rear) that was on my '03 Accord. That was a much better handling car than the 9th Gen is IMHO.
I owned a 2011 3-series BMW that I just traded in for a new Accord. The steering on that BMW was very good. When I had warranty work done on it and had a 2015 or 2016 3-series, I noticed how much looser the steering was. The steering in my Accord is not as firm as the 2011 BMW, but it is much better than the newer 3-series BMWs.
Slides likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to pspressart For This Useful Post:
steve88 (01-07-2017)
post #14 of 41 Old 01-07-2017, 11:37 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspressart View Post
I owned a 2011 3-series BMW that I just traded in for a new Accord. The steering on that BMW was very good. When I had warranty work done on it and had a 2015 or 2016 3-series, I noticed how much looser the steering was. The steering in my Accord is not as firm as the 2011 BMW, but it is much better than the newer 3-series BMWs.
Thanks. Wow. That really says a lot if the steering on the 9th Gen Accord is better than the F30/F31 BMW's. I should just go test drive one to see for myself. I've always been afraid to do that for fear of falling in love with it right on the spot but I've read plenty of so-so reviews of the current gen BMW's which makes me think they might not be all that.

What's interesting is that people in BMW forums generally have a lot of nice things to say about the Accord. No, it's not a 328i but they routinely say it's a very solid, all-around, good daily driver that they would consider for themselves were they not driving BMW's.

Here's a BMW forum I've been reading for a few years if anyone would like to search for threads about the Accord (there are a few in there):

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F34 / F36 (2012 - current) - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums
Slides likes this.

Current: 2013 EX-L CVT Accord Sedan
Alabaster Silver Metallic with Gray Leather

Previous: 2003 LX Accord Sedan 5-Speed AT, 1996 DX Accord Sedan 5-Speed MT
post #15 of 41 Old 01-07-2017, 12:03 PM
ChoppednTubbed

I'll admit it took a bit of getting used to.

• 2016 Accord Sedan CBP EXL V6
  • 2016 Accord Sedan MSM EXL V6 Navi with Honda Sensing (now wife's car. she really liked driving it.)
  • 2013 Accord Coupe EX I4 6MT CBB
  • 2012 Civic Si Navi TW
  • 2010 Accord Coupe EXL V6 5AT Navi PMM
  • 2005 Civic EX SE 4AT RR (No longer owned)
  • 2003 Accord EXL V6 5AT Sedan NBP (No longer owned)
  • 1988 Accord LX Sedan I4 4AT GGM (No longer owned)
[/LIST]
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.