Used Oil Analysis from Blackstone and Oil Analyzers on the 2015 Accord LX - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 45 Old 01-08-2017, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Used Oil Analysis from Blackstone and Oil Analyzers on the 2015 Accord LX

I just did a video review of the oil analysis from my 2nd oil change on my 2015 Accord LX. I submitted samples to Blackstone and Oil Analyzers.

Check it out.

TMVB, str8t six and Matt22 like this.

2015 Honda Accord LX 6 speed Modern Steel Metallic
1998 VW Jetta Tdi Polo White with 372k miles daily driver

DIY 9th Gen Honda Accord videos
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3p...Vxm3i53Td429Kw

Last edited by namegoeshere; 01-14-2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: fix embed
The Following User Says Thank You to dieselworld For This Useful Post:
TMVB (01-09-2017)
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 Old 01-08-2017, 02:33 PM
4th Gear

Thanks for posting this informative video. What is sad is there are lots of posters here who still don't believe the Honda MM, and change oil every 3-5 thousand miles on the 4 cylinder.

Those people will never learn.

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
post #3 of 45 Old 01-08-2017, 03:53 PM
3rd Gear

How are you deciding when to change the oil? Are you letting the maintenance minder tell you that you have a certain % of oil life remaining or are you just doing it every ~8K miles?

From your report, you have a 2.4L engine but is this a CVT or MT, sedan or coupe?

Did my first oil change at ~5600 miles on my '16 Coupe CVT when the minder said 15% oil life remaining.
post #4 of 45 Old 01-08-2017, 04:04 PM
又一位第八代雅阁双门车主

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman214 View Post
Thanks for posting this informative video. What is sad is there are lots of posters here who still don't believe the Honda MM, and change oil every 3-5 thousand miles on the 4 cylinder.

Those people will never learn.
Follow the maintenance minder, I suppose.

I did one of my oil changes really early, but half the reason was because I wanted to learn how to do an oil change. Right now, I have close to 2k miles on my current oil, and there is 70% oil life left. I would say I will probably do it close to 6k miles.

I believe the issue people have with MM is that it only considers mileage, not the driving conditions. If you drive on the highway mostly, you can get away with changing oil later; I have to change my oil a little more often, though, with the short trips, aggressive acceleration, and city driving.

My first car!

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT+VCM PMM

Mods and such things:

AFE Pro Dry S drop-in filter
HFP body kit
RGR-16D HFP Alloy Wheels
i-VTEC & 3.5 stickers(+10 HP each)(JKLOL)
High and Low beams - Philips CrystalVision Ultra
Front turn signals - HV 6000K white/amber switchback
Rear lights - Philips Vision LEDs
Interior LEDs
Crosstour shift knob
OEM footwell lights
Dash cover
Dash kit trim(upcoming)
Wheelskins steering wheel cover
post #5 of 45 Old 01-08-2017, 04:11 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
I believe the issue people have with MM is that it only considers mileage, not the driving conditions.
Where do you get this info? Gotta link? I would love to see an explanation of how the MM decides what oil life is.
In November I took a 3,600 mile 10 day road trip. It was at 70% or 80% when I left. Based on how long the MM took to get to 15% on the prior change (I only got the car in February '16) I figured I would need a change mid trip. But, out on the road the oil life stayed good. It is still at 30% today. So it seems to me somehow it accounts for highway miles being easier, versus city stop and go miles.
UnknownJinX likes this.
post #6 of 45 Old 01-08-2017, 04:25 PM
5th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Follow the maintenance minder, I suppose.

I did one of my oil changes really early, but half the reason was because I wanted to learn how to do an oil change. Right now, I have close to 2k miles on my current oil, and there is 70% oil life left. I would say I will probably do it close to 6k miles.

I believe the issue people have with MM is that it only considers mileage, not the driving conditions. If you drive on the highway mostly, you can get away with changing oil later; I have to change my oil a little more often, though, with the short trips, aggressive acceleration, and city driving.

The MM doesn't only consider mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2016 Accord Sport
post #7 of 45 Old 01-08-2017, 04:32 PM
又一位第八代雅阁双门车主

Garage
Ok, seems like I am wrong then. Thanks for correcting me.

Follow the MM then.

My first car!

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT+VCM PMM

Mods and such things:

AFE Pro Dry S drop-in filter
HFP body kit
RGR-16D HFP Alloy Wheels
i-VTEC & 3.5 stickers(+10 HP each)(JKLOL)
High and Low beams - Philips CrystalVision Ultra
Front turn signals - HV 6000K white/amber switchback
Rear lights - Philips Vision LEDs
Interior LEDs
Crosstour shift knob
OEM footwell lights
Dash cover
Dash kit trim(upcoming)
Wheelskins steering wheel cover
post #8 of 45 Old 01-08-2017, 04:33 PM
2nd Gear

MM considers more than mileage because some people have had MM hit 20% with far more miles than I have because they have a lot of highway miles whereas all my trips are <10 miles.
post #9 of 45 Old 01-08-2017, 04:36 PM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
The MM is based on your driving style. I'd guess NY drivers would have lower OCIs. Nice video!

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 162k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima
post #10 of 45 Old 01-08-2017, 04:36 PM
4th Gear

Yes, but how does the MM work?
I assume there is not some mini laboratory testing the oil automatically under my hood.
post #11 of 45 Old 01-08-2017, 04:46 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VFR4Lee View Post
Yes, but how does the MM work?
I assume there is not some mini laboratory testing the oil automatically under my hood.
GOOGLE is your friend my friend: Honda Maintenance Minder Frequently Asked Questions
UnknownJinX likes this.

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
post #12 of 45 Old 01-08-2017, 04:54 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman214 View Post
Hey thanks, very interesting.

And a quote from that link:

Quote:
Q: I use synthetic oil. Should I expect to get more miles before the Honda Maintenance Minder indicates that I need an oil change?

A: Honda does not recommend the use of synthetic oils as your Honda was designed and engineered based on the oil recommended in your owner's manual. The Honda Maintenance Minder calculates your vehicle's needs based on the oil recommended by the Honda engineers that designed your engine. The use of synthetic oil will not extend the oil change interval.
Not to hijack the thread or anything.
cookieman214 likes this.
post #13 of 45 Old 01-08-2017, 05:57 PM
3rd Gear

Yep - Honda definitely did their homework with the MM. I have a 2015 (purchased 8/24/15) with almost 69,000 miles on it. LOTS of highway driving. I consistently have seen 9500 miles between oil changes. I wait until I am at 5% and that is typically what I can depend on for OCI per Honda's MM. Blackstone read an oil report (sent one in at around 36,000 miles) and they said to extend the OCI to around 12,000 miles. It seems Honda is even a little bit on the conservative side, assuming you use synthetics.
post #14 of 45 Old 01-08-2017, 06:12 PM
4th Gear

I'll throw something on the fire:

Quote:
According to a Royal Purple Motor Oil Engineer I spoke with a few years ago, he said only people outside of the Motor Oil Industry, use the unprofessional terminology of calling new oil lab tests, virgin oil analysis (VOA), and used oil lab tests, used oil analysis (UOA). The VOA and UOA references are commonly used on Internet Forum discussions about motor oil, even though they are not legitimate names. Even so, in order for the most people to follow along, I’ll continue to use that wrong terminology for a moment here.

For a VOA, you will NOT get any information on absolutely THE most important thing any motor oil does for your engine, and that is PREVENT WEAR. Everything else a motor oil does for your engine, comes AFTER that. There is not one thing in that lab printout that will tell you how good that oil is at preventing wear. And looking at the zinc and phosphorus levels is completely worthless, because as you will see below, those levels DO NOT predict an oil’s wear protection capability, even though countless people have been brainwashed to believe it does. Therefore, you still have no idea if that oil is any good at performing job number one for your engine. So, you are left with guessing, believing Advertising hype, or Internet chatter, as to which oil you should choose for your engine. In other words, you wasted $30.00 for the lab test, plus the cost of shipping, and your time, all for nothing.

If you have a lab printout from when an oil was brand new, and then you get a UOA of that exact same oil, you can compare those two printouts to see how the oil has changed during that particular change interval. There is definitely some value to that, for indications of engine health, how much of the factory additive package has been depleted, etc. But, it still doesn’t provide any meaningful direct information about how that motor oil compares to other motor oils in terms of wear protection. And if you do see extra metal quantity in the used oil that might be of concern, it is too late, because you are looking at results after the fact. Wear and/or damage has already begun. That is like closing the barn door after the horse already got out. And you still wouldn’t know if the extra metal is because of a poor choice of motor oils* or because of a mechanical problem.

So, you need something FAR BETTER than looking at PQIA info or motor oil lab printouts for selecting the best motor oil for your engine, if you are interested in the best possible wear protection for it.
https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/

I thought that was very interesting. And yes, I have ordered UOA in the past (for a different car).

2017 Accord EX w. Sensing Sedan
2005 Accord LX Sedan
post #15 of 45 Old 01-08-2017, 06:23 PM
4th Gear

great video!

i usually change the oil in my car at %10 which is over 10K miles per change. hopefully the honda oil is good for those miles!

2016 WOP Accord sport CVT
PTM splash guards
Weathertech floor mats
Xenon Depo LED headlights
20% tint front 5% back
Advertisement

Tags
honda oil analysis, oil change, uoa, used oil analysis

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.