1st oil change done at 8,070 miles when MM at 5% - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 42Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 68 Old 01-11-2017, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
HondaNewb

1st oil change done at 8,070 miles when MM at 5%

Maintenance minder had been at 5% for a while, figured it would drop to 0 any day. Dealer was very fast, done in about 20 minutes. They recommended not going that long on the oil. I reminded them that maintenance minder said to leave original oil in as long as possible and to change at no sooner than 15%. He then tried to say that from now on, I should change it closer to 5k, because my timing chain could suffer. Uh, only if my oil levels are low and I check it every 2k miles. I will be back when maintenance minder is back down to 5%.

mtts60 likes this.

2016 Honda Accord EX-L, in White Orchid Pearl (1st ever Honda)
Click to see lifetime mileage of my I4 CVT. http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/453612.png
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pparks1 For This Useful Post:
RickBlaine (01-11-2017), TMVB (01-15-2017)
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 01-11-2017, 05:35 AM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
They want MONEY, unless they're doing it for free.

Honda engineers knew what they were doing when they implemented the MM. Follow it, you'll be fine.

Do you know what oil and filter they used?

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 165k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #3 of 68 Old 01-11-2017, 05:37 AM
2015 Accord Touring I4

Cool story. Thanks for sharing.

2015 Honda Accord Sedan Touring NAVI I4 CVT White Orchard Pearl
2011 Toyota Venza Premium V6 AWD 6AT Blizzard Pearl
2008 Honda Accord Sedan EX-L I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)
2005 Acura TSX I4 5AT Premium White Pearl (Sold)
2002 Honda Civic Coupe SiG Veloz I4 5MT Nighthawk Black Pearl (Traded)

post #4 of 68 Old 01-11-2017, 05:44 AM
1st Gear

Your timing chain can wear for reasons other than low oil level: oil that's been diluted by fuel or full of tiny sooty particles that direct injected engines produce, for example. Also, keep in mind that Honda's oil life monitor is programmed assuming its own synthetic blend 0w-20 is used. Who knows if your dealer used an oil that good or better?

And if you're going to adopt the manual as gospel, your might want to follow its advice about checking oil level: every time you refuel, not every 2,000 miles.
CGumina likes this.
post #5 of 68 Old 01-11-2017, 06:02 AM
Your Maintenance Minder

Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,119 Posts
You read your owner's manual and act accordingly.....

One of the dealers near me has an "architect's file cabinet"- it is very large and can accommodate large placards. They have a "Honda Recommends" service for each 1,000 mile increment, so that when a customer pulls in with 8,040 miles on the odometer, or 11,175 miles, or 103,000 miles- there is an official-looking large placard that can brought out with large Honda logos stamped all over it (makes it official) with your mileage in huge font size.

My friend works as a Toyota salesman, so at gatherings, off days, and holiday parties I stop by sometimes at his work to say hello. I met a bunch of the service writers and these guys can read customers like a champion poker player can read opponents. Didn't read your owner's manual? They look at you as if you are a food source. Some of these guys earn north of 100K a year because most customers never read their owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans15 View Post
Your timing chain can wear for reasons other than low oil level: oil that's been diluted by fuel or full of tiny sooty particles that direct injected engines produce, for example. Also, keep in mind that Honda's oil life monitor is programmed assuming its own synthetic blend 0w-20 is used. Who knows if your dealer used an oil that good or better?
While theoretical "on paper", real world figures have yet to show Honda's direct injection in the 4 cylinder engine to cause oil dilution due to fuel entering the oil. And on 6th, 7th, and 8th Gen engines- which do not use DI, this does not happen.

It did happen to me on my 1991 Nissan 240sx- a fuel injector was stuck open, and leaked fuel down the cylinder. The engine lost some power, and started to shake a little. When I checked the oil dipstick- it was full of gas. I mean, the level was all the way to the top of the dipstick and smelled like a gas station!

The good news was that when I changed the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube gaskets a week later, the top of the engine was shiny and super clean, lol. Installed remanufactured fuel injectors and all is good.
post #6 of 68 Old 01-11-2017, 06:11 AM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Some of these guys earn north of 100K a year because most customers never read their owner's manual.
So that makes them the experts right?? LOL

I'd like to find a job making that kind of ching because someone else doesn't read the manual for the 25k tool they bought.

2003 I4-AT LX Sedan (Girls car)
2003 V6-6MT HFP Coupe (Now the boys car)
2015 V6-6MT Coupe
post #7 of 68 Old 01-11-2017, 06:51 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200366HFP View Post
I'd like to find a job making that kind of ching because someone else doesn't read the manual for the 25k tool they bought.
I couldn't do it. It's basically lying and thieving. I'm the car guy here at work and am constantly being asked about car issues. I do all I can to save people dough.
slimm1469 likes this.

2003 Accord EX I4 AT (mine), K&N drop in (surprised), JL Audio TR690Txi 6X9 in the rear
2004 Accord EX I4 MT (wife's), totally bone stock except for all the crap that fills every cubic inch that is not the driver seat.
post #8 of 68 Old 01-11-2017, 06:53 AM
2nd Gear

To change oil at 5% = paying 5% more for the oil used. I changed mine at 0%.
post #9 of 68 Old 01-11-2017, 07:17 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
You read your owner's manual and act accordingly.....

One of the dealers near me has an "architect's file cabinet"- it is very large and can accommodate large placards. They have a "Honda Recommends" service for each 1,000 mile increment, so that when a customer pulls in with 8,040 miles on the odometer, or 11,175 miles, or 103,000 miles- there is an official-looking large placard that can brought out with large Honda logos stamped all over it (makes it official) with your mileage in huge font size.

My friend works as a Toyota salesman, so at gatherings, off days, and holiday parties I stop by sometimes at his work to say hello. I met a bunch of the service writers and these guys can read customers like a champion poker player can read opponents. Didn't read your owner's manual? They look at you as if you are a food source. Some of these guys earn north of 100K a year because most customers never read their owner's manual.

While theoretical "on paper", real world figures have yet to show Honda's direct injection in the 4 cylinder engine to cause oil dilution due to fuel entering the oil. And on 6th, 7th, and 8th Gen engines- which do not use DI, this does not happen.

It did happen to me on my 1991 Nissan 240sx- a fuel injector was stuck open, and leaked fuel down the cylinder. The engine lost some power, and started to shake a little. When I checked the oil dipstick- it was full of gas. I mean, the level was all the way to the top of the dipstick and smelled like a gas station!

The good news was that when I changed the valve cover gasket and spark plug tube gaskets a week later, the top of the engine was shiny and super clean, lol. Installed remanufactured fuel injectors and all is good.
Actually, there's quite a bit of fuel dilution evidence for DI K24Ws. Take a look at the video posted on this forum where a used oil analysis by Oil Analyzers shows dilution over 5%. My 2015 CRV has shown > 5% dilution on 4 out of 5 used oil analyses. And if you see any UOAs from Blackstone recognize its methodlology is flawed and add 3 or 4 percentage points.

Honda has looked at my car and declared it "normal", so I conclude fuel dilution is not uncommon. Now, whether or not it's harmful an open question, but I'm erring on the side of caution and perform oil changes more frequently that the oil life monitor suggests.
08EX-L likes this.
post #10 of 68 Old 01-11-2017, 07:26 AM
V6 6MT CBP

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by qman View Post
I couldn't do it. It's basically lying and thieving. I'm the car guy here at work and am constantly being asked about car issues. I do all I can to save people dough.
Agreed - should have made my sarcasm a little thicker.

2003 I4-AT LX Sedan (Girls car)
2003 V6-6MT HFP Coupe (Now the boys car)
2015 V6-6MT Coupe
post #11 of 68 Old 01-11-2017, 07:37 AM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelnod View Post
To change oil at 5% = paying 5% more for the oil used. I changed mine at 0%.
I just did my oil change this past weekend and it was something like -12 lmfao.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pparks1 View Post
Maintenance minder had been at 5% for a while, figured it would drop to 0 any day. Dealer was very fast, done in about 20 minutes. They recommended not going that long on the oil. I reminded them that maintenance minder said to leave original oil in as long as possible and to change at no sooner than 15%. He then tried to say that from now on, I should change it closer to 5k, because my timing chain could suffer. Uh, only if my oil levels are low and I check it every 2k miles. I will be back when maintenance minder is back down to 5%.
Good for you! I don't understand why the dealer's keep trying to run things the way it used to be (3 months or 3K miles). My '06 Expedition was supposed to be changed like every 6K, and now 10 years later with synthetic oil and what not, it should be done the same way for these more advanced engines? I call BS.

I'm not the best at keeping up with my maintenance considering my track record on my '02 Accord, but I would sometimes go like 10K miles in between oil changes on that car, and still got 406K miles on that engine. With this one, I'm doing better. I haven't gone more than "-1K" on the MM haha. I'll have to check my records and will update my signature with the negative miles as a good reference for everyone here

'13 Accord EX-L Sedan I4 CVT - 170,000 miles so far
Oil Change - 10K, 19.8K, 29K, 39.8K, 50.6K, 61.3K, 72.1K, 83.7K, 95.3K, 107K
Transmission Fluid - 51.1K, 107K, 151K
Headlights - Left; 98K Right; 102K
Alternator Belt - 150K
Auto Tensioner Assembly - 120K
FOB Battery - 2.5 years
Car Battery - 123K (went from 51R to Walmart 35S)
Coolant Drain and Flush - 140K
Alternator (pulley went bad) - 162K

Last edited by namegoeshere; 01-11-2017 at 03:50 PM.
post #12 of 68 Old 01-11-2017, 07:55 AM
Your Maintenance Minder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dans15 View Post
Actually, there's quite a bit of fuel dilution evidence for DI K24Ws. Take a look at the video posted on this forum where a used oil analysis by Oil Analyzers shows dilution over 5%. My 2015 CRV has shown > 5% dilution on 4 out of 5 used oil analyses. And if you see any UOAs from Blackstone recognize its methodlology is flawed and add 3 or 4 percentage points.

Honda has looked at my car and declared it "normal", so I conclude fuel dilution is not uncommon. Now, whether or not it's harmful an open question, but I'm erring on the side of caution and perform oil changes more frequently that the oil life monitor suggests.
You have done 5 oil analysis on a 2015 CRV?!?! It is January 2017!

You seem hell bent on stating that one analysis lab is inferior to another. Fine with me, but you seem to be searching for something wrong and justifying it by talking about oil dilution in Honda engines.

What is the oil dilution level in non-direct injection engines? What single instance can you point to to show this is a problem?

Volkswagen has had DI for 15 years now, I have not heard of engine failures because of fuel in the oil- and I have not heard this is a problem, period.
post #13 of 68 Old 01-11-2017, 07:59 AM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
Quote:
Volkswagen has had DI for 15 years now, I have not heard of engine failures because of fuel in the oil- and I have not heard this is a problem, period.
We had a VW Passat. Drove comfy, but it was a VW. We gave it to my wife's brother, and he drove it into a ditch. I blame fuel dilution. Now you've heard of 1 problem.
slimm1469, enne and VFR4Lee like this.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 165k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
post #14 of 68 Old 01-11-2017, 08:14 AM
Your Maintenance Minder

I stand (sit) corrected! Thank you.
post #15 of 68 Old 01-11-2017, 12:54 PM
1st Gear

Well they aren't trying to just get money out of you. The oil is there to lubricate AND trap foreign particles. So it would be safe to assume that the longer you run your oil, the more contaminates are in it.

Take Toyota's 2az-fe 2.4 for example. If you don't do 2500 mile oil changes, you wind up doing your timing guide sooner. This because the contaminates in dirty oil are like sandpaper, and eat away at the nylon on the guide.

Granted it would take longer to wear the metal parts this way; keep in mind that the consumables in the timing set will be consumed far faster with dirty oil, than with regularly changed oil.

I've always stood behind the 3k mile rule. Though I always do mine at 2500.

The dirtier your oil, the higher grit liquid sandpaper you get. And nylon doesn't like that too much.....

EDIT.
For the record, I have never worked at a shop or stealership. And I have always done everything to my own vehicles. Nothing in it for me to BS to make you change your oil sooner.

Just food for thought.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.