Got a 2016 with a CVT as a loaner today. - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 95Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 120 Old 03-08-2017, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
2nd Gear

Got a 2016 with a CVT as a loaner today.

Had to drop my 2017 6MT Accord off at the dealer this morning, and they gave me a 2016 with a CVT as a loaner. Prior to this loaner, I had never driven an Accord with a CVT. Holy hell is it bad! The Accord's I4 is a great engine, but the CVT makes it feel ridiculously under powered and boring. Had I test drove a CVT first I'd probably have crossed the Accord off my list of potential cars. The fact that they went with a CVT over a traditional automatic kind of boggles my mind given how terrible the CVT is.

2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser 6MT (Modded Offroader)
2017 Honda Accord Sport 6MT (Stock Daily Driver)
Advertisement

post #2 of 120 Old 03-08-2017, 06:50 AM
1st Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subverto View Post
Had to drop my 2017 6MT Accord off at the dealer this morning, and they gave me a 2016 with a CVT as a loaner. Prior to this loaner, I had never driven an Accord with a CVT. Holy hell is it bad! The Accord's I4 is a great engine, but the CVT makes it feel ridiculously under powered and boring. Had I test drove a CVT first I'd probably have crossed the Accord off my list of potential cars. The fact that they went with a CVT over a traditional automatic kind of boggles my mind given how terrible the CVT is.
I'm right there with you. I was looking at the Accords and test drove about 5-6 I4's with CVT and then took one test drive in the 6AT and was like YES! this feels soooo much better. I have the race car at home when I want to play with 3 pedals

CVT would feel like it was stuttering whenever you 'got on it' from a standstill.....

2014 Accord EX-L V6 Sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to hondaohio For This Useful Post:
MetalMan (03-10-2017)
post #3 of 120 Old 03-08-2017, 06:59 AM
Don't drink and drive

Garage
All the CVTs I tested produced undesired results. At least the Camrys are still AT. I am kind of leaning towards the 2015+.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 169k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima
1988 Lada

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma

post #4 of 120 Old 03-08-2017, 07:39 AM
2nd Gear

The CVT allows me to have just enough fun in my daily drive - gets me where im going and is by no means a sports car whether it has a V6 or I4 - CVT or not..
post #5 of 120 Old 03-08-2017, 07:50 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantansi View Post
The CVT allows me to have just enough fun in my daily drive - gets me where im going and is by no means a sports car whether it has a V6 or I4 - CVT or not..
I feel the same way. I actually kind of like the "smoothness" compared to an AT.
post #6 of 120 Old 03-08-2017, 08:25 AM
1st Gear

I test drove a CVT Sport SE a few days ago. Felt boring and extremely sluggish. They had zero manual Accords on the lot but i ordered one anyway because i know it will bring that car to life. I was told by my salesman that it was the only WOP Sport SE manual on the east coast which im 99% sure is bullspit but i cant wait to pick it up tomorrow.
shifting myself and Subverto like this.
post #7 of 120 Old 03-08-2017, 08:38 AM
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I dont mind the CVT. But this is my first one. Slightly worried about its longevity.

Guess well see!
post #8 of 120 Old 03-08-2017, 09:01 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subverto View Post
Feeling underpowered probably has to do with the computer controlled throttle response and not the CVT. The other thing is you'd have to compare actually performance numbers, the CVT may feel underpowered because it's revving the engine differently than a traditional automatic.

I'm on the otherside of this argument though, I actually like the smooth acceleration curve and lack of shifting of a CVT. I actually have the 2017 Hybrid which doesn't even technically have a CVT (but it operates like one).

Edit: and for the record, obviously the i4 is going to feel sluggish compared to a 6 banger.
Pcarowinds and iwantansi like this.
post #9 of 120 Old 03-08-2017, 09:15 AM
4th Gear

CVTs when programmed correctly will outrun anything, look why F1 banned them. Shifting through gears is fun, but IMO only worth in a true sports car, not a family sedan/coupe. CVT provides improve fuel economy, infinite gears (can always fake 7 gears with paddle shifter), less power-train loss than conventional automatics and can hold max hp and torque when full throttle. Next time you rent the accord with cvt, put in sport mode and floor it. It will hold 6K rpm and never drop while a conventional manual will have to constantly shift to maintain vtec. Yes the cvt may feel slower b/c most people aren't use to them but the actual numbers are the same/better. If you wanted something fast, don't get an accord.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joeggernaut For This Useful Post:
BLCKFLSH (03-08-2017), Flyboy (03-09-2017), Kamdog (03-08-2017), RickBlaine (03-10-2017)
post #10 of 120 Old 03-08-2017, 09:27 AM
Long live the manual

Garage
Question CVT, no enthusiasts needed ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplanfx View Post
Edit: and for the record, obviously the i4 is going to feel sluggish compared to a 6 banger.
But the OP has a I-4 manual 6 speed Accord Sport !

I think Honda should give the CVT I-4 loving Point A to Point Bers a stereo system that is Only tuned to stations that play ELEVATOR MUSIC !

So they don't ever feel the urge to Over throttle the CVTs !

I know there are some CVT I-4 drivers ( minority ) that bought that car even though deep down they have an enthusiasm for the automobile.

2014 Honda Accord Coupe V6 EXL 6 speed manual
------------------------------------------------
Horn Upgrade from College Hills
LED Fog Lights
LED Interior Lights
Hidden Hitch
The Following User Says Thank You to shifting myself For This Useful Post:
kaplanfx (03-08-2017)
post #11 of 120 Old 03-08-2017, 09:32 AM
Long live the manual

Garage
Question No test drive Needed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyphan09 View Post
I test drove a CVT Sport SE a few days ago. Felt boring and extremely sluggish. They had zero manual Accords on the lot but i ordered one anyway because i know it will bring that car to life. I was told by my salesman that it was the only WOP Sport SE manual on the east coast which im 99% sure is bullspit but i cant wait to pick it up tomorrow.
Well done sir !

2014 Honda Accord Coupe V6 EXL 6 speed manual
------------------------------------------------
Horn Upgrade from College Hills
LED Fog Lights
LED Interior Lights
Hidden Hitch
The Following User Says Thank You to shifting myself For This Useful Post:
phillyphan09 (03-13-2017)
post #12 of 120 Old 03-08-2017, 09:45 AM
4th Gear

Honda's CVT is one of the better products on the market. Just drive your car for what it's worth, and the CVT should be relatively trouble free for 100k miles. Just avoid doing to many hard accelerations, and driving the car in sport mode to often. I've found that CVTs really don't like extremely dynamic driving behavior.
sm753 and iwantansi like this.
post #13 of 120 Old 03-08-2017, 10:22 AM
Out of Control

Take a long trip on an Interstate and you will marvel at how smooth the CVT is compared to a traditional AT. No harsh downshifts going up hills, just smooth. For long distance traveling it is great. As a daily driver it is different than a traditional AT. I have a 2005 TSX and my wife's 2013 Accord EX-L is quicker off the line , the 2.4 has no Tourque off of idle.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
sm753 and RickF like this.

Current Honda vehicles
2010 Acura RDX Turbo AWD/Tech 67k miles - Daily Driver
2013 Accord EX-L I4 Auto 53k miles Black Pearl - Wife's car
2005 Acura TSX Auto 208k miles - Youngest Daughter
2013 FIT Sport Auto - 24k miles - Oldest Daughters car
Former Honda Vehicles
2001 Acura MDX Totaled t223k
1991 Accord LX auto sold 185k miles
1995 GSR sold @220k miles
1991 Civic SI Crushed by a tree during a tornado 1997
1989 Prelude SI soldr @44k miles
1986 Civic 5 speed sold @165k miles
post #14 of 120 Old 03-08-2017, 11:05 AM
4th Gear

I must say...that's I'm still getting used to the AT on my coupe. Not sure if the Honda's AT has some sort of adaptive learning mode that takes affect on new cars.
post #15 of 120 Old 03-08-2017, 11:12 AM
4th Gear

Bottom line, if you're a passive driver and enjoy smooth gas saving rides, you will love the intended purpose of CVT.

If you drive mildly aggressive, CVT will never be in the proper power band ratio to allow for instant power delivery. As seldomseen points out, CVT is poor at "dynamic driving behavior".

acutee and Justanotherguy like this.

'16 Accord EX 6MT LSM
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.