Trading in my 2014 EX-L Coupe 6-6 for .... - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 36 Old 03-19-2017, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Long live the manual

Garage
Trading in my 2014 EX-L Coupe 6-6 for ....

It happened this weekend, something I thought would be 10+ years from now ! A test drive of a Fiat 124 Sypder Abarth where I stalled it 2 times thinking it was in 1st instead it was in 3rd. That Fiat is a beautiful car but that heavy clutch & tricky shifter were flawed. Stayed up until past 40 am Friday after the Fiat test drive trying to convince myself that this could be a DD !

No Way to the Fiat ! Still enjoyed the test drive so much I needed a comparison test drive. Saturday on the Web looked at the local Mazda dealer & saw the 2016 MX-5 Artic White Club with Brembo / BBS package .... So went there after 50pm they close at 6 ! Test drove that Club model & the clutch / shifter combo was flawless. Too much fun I was really not expecting to have ! Wanted the MX-5 so with the manager we went thru the Coupe trade-in plus the MX-5 price. Wanted more for my Coupe so I gave him the $$$ number , he went back to consult his boss. Then we went over price of the 2016 MX-5 under dealer invoice .... I'm golden right ?
Wrong , forgot the checkbook at home & also needed to get my stuff from the Coupe. So driving back home in the Coupe it hit me ... what are you thinking this Coupe is what I wanted / setup with hitch / meep meep horn gone . Went back & told the manager I have 2nd thoughts about doing the deal.
He says take the MX-5 for the weekend & if I still don't want to go thru with it thats OK by him. Feeling better. The crew cleaned up the MX-5 & he gives me the keys " Have FUN " he says ! 3.5 hours later I find where I'm living. Space issues / winter issues are fading. Today we had a sunny 50 degree day. Top down even on the highway ( heater close to max ) .... I'm SOLD ! Monday after work I'm writing Mazda a check for the remaining balance owed ! There is something that Mazda did to that MX-5 where sales men don't have to badger customers. Its all about driving the car " that is the sales pitch " .

Attached Images

Baldeagle likes this.

2014 Honda Accord Coupe V6 EXL 6 speed manual
------------------------------------------------
Horn Upgrade from College Hills
LED Fog Lights
LED Interior Lights
Hidden Hitch
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 03-19-2017, 05:41 PM
4th Gear

Looks good! I owned a MX-5 several years ago....very fun car to drive! I kept it for one year for obvious reasons.

2017 Accord Coupe Touring / MSM
post #3 of 36 Old 03-19-2017, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Long live the manual

Garage
Question MX-5 not for everone

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
Looks good! I owned a MX-5 several years ago....very fun car to drive! I kept it for one year for obvious reasons.
Yea, they are impractical for the family guys. The new ones seem to have a little growl to the exhaust note. Still that 2014 Accord Coupe 6-6 is a great car & however gets it next will get a deal ! I know I'll miss that car at certain points of owning the MX-5 !

LED Fog Lights
LED Interior Lights
Hidden Hitch

post #4 of 36 Old 03-19-2017, 07:13 PM
Your Maintenance Minder

Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,151 Posts
We could never be room mates- because as much as I love the 6-6, I LOVE the MX-5/Miata just as much. Fantastic, well-engineered car. At least once a year, I am at the Autobahn Speedway next door to you in Joliet, IL, and driving Miatas from various years- perfect weight distribution, way too much fun.

Godspeed, kind sir! Enjoy. And get on the Miata forum ASAP as it is one of the best forums out there.

2005 Accord EX-L
2-door Coupe
PZEV emission vehicle (!)
4-cylinder, Automatic Transmission
Acura RSX wheels & 215/55R 16 Continental Extreme Contact DWS tires
135k miles (as of March '17)
post #5 of 36 Old 03-19-2017, 08:03 PM
Out of Control

Although a two seat drop top sports car is impractical, driving one is as much fun as you can have in a car with your pants on.

The Accord Coupe is fun and semi practical but nothing like driving a true sports car. BTW A true sports car, two seats and drop top, is the only way I would go back to manually shifting gears. When I finally retire I'm going to trade the Accord for a used S2000 or a Miata. Too bad Honda doesn't bring back the S2000.
Baldeagle and shifting myself like this.

2013 Accord Coupe EX-L San Marino Red
2015 CR-V EX Urban Titanium Metallic
2007 Fit Sport Silver 65,000 miles and going strong.
Previous Honda: 2000 Accord Coupe, 1994 Accord Wagon Red, 1988 Prelude White 5 speed manual, 1981 Accord 4 Door Ivory 5 speed manual
Previous Cars before Honda: 73 Mazda RX2 manual, 63 VW Bug manual, 63 Alfa Romeo 2600 Spyder manual, 70 Toyota Crown manual, 59 Vauxhall Victor manual (worst car ever produced, a pre Yugo, Yugo)
post #6 of 36 Old 03-19-2017, 08:11 PM
Your Maintenance Minder

Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Although a two seat drop top sports car is impractical, driving one is as much fun as you can have in a car with your pants on.

The Accord Coupe is fun and semi practical but nothing like driving a true sports car. BTW A true sports car, two seats and drop top, is the only way I would go back to manually shifting gears. When I finally retire I'm going to trade the Accord for a used S2000 or a Miata. Too bad Honda doesn't bring back the S2000.
Whoa! Someone hacked into @Flyboy's account again!

Russians? North Koreans?
post #7 of 36 Old 03-20-2017, 03:04 AM
Out of Control

Bang for buck, I think the MX-5 is THE best sports car made today! As long as it still satisfies your requirements for function, have fun! And by the way, used Miatas sell for big premiums on the private market, far above book value, almost S2000-like. Their rate of depreciation is half that of most cars.
RickBlaine likes this.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
post #8 of 36 Old 03-20-2017, 03:14 AM
4th Gear

Garage
We all have our midlife crisis at some point. Mine was my current: '16 Sport 6MT in San Marino - a balance between practical and sportiness. Being 6'3" and about 280, no way I could see driving any 2 seater. Enjoy!

Former vehicles:

2014 Honda Accord LX Sedan 6MT, 2.4L 4cyl

2005 Honda Civic VP 2dr Coupe, 5MT, 1.7L 4cyl

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr sedan, AT, 2.4L 4cyl

1992 Ford Thunderbird Base 2 dr coupe, AT, 3.8L V-6

1987 Toyota Celica ST 2dr coupe, 5MT, 2.0L 4Cyl

1983 Buick LeSabre Custom 2dr Coupe, AT, 4.1L V-6
post #9 of 36 Old 03-20-2017, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Long live the manual

Garage
Question Nice Flyboy ... back to a manual in retirement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post

Honda might bring back the S2000 at least that is the rumor ! I hope you do opt for a fun driving manual in retirement Flyboy ! Even if DFW traffic is bad, Chicago has more than its share of bumper to bumper moments ! I will miss this DA forum !

LED Fog Lights
LED Interior Lights
Hidden Hitch
post #10 of 36 Old 03-20-2017, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
Long live the manual

Garage
Question Crisis ? What crisis ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord2014LX View Post
We all have our midlife crisis at some point. Mine was my current: '16 Sport 6MT in San Marino - a balance between practical and sportiness. Being 6'3" and about 280, no way I could see driving any 2 seater. Enjoy!
Got to say the seats are comfy for me but yea it would be more than tight for you in this go cart !

LED Fog Lights
LED Interior Lights
Hidden Hitch
post #11 of 36 Old 03-20-2017, 03:59 AM Thread Starter
Long live the manual

Garage
Question Can't get out of the drivers seat !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
Bang for buck, I think the MX-5 is THE best sports car made today! As long as it still satisfies your requirements for function, have fun! And by the way, used Miatas sell for big premiums on the private market, far above book value, almost S2000-like. Their rate of depreciation is half that of most cars.
Its like breaking up with Angelia Jolie ( Accord Coupe 6-6 ) & getting to date Kate Upton right after ( MX-5 ) ! Its hard giving up the Coupe but the MX-5 keeps putting back in the drivers seat for No Good Reason !

LED Fog Lights
LED Interior Lights
Hidden Hitch
post #12 of 36 Old 03-20-2017, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Long live the manual

Garage
Miata .net .... I went before the test drive !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
We could never be room mates- because as much as I love the 6-6, I LOVE the MX-5/Miata just as much. Fantastic, well-engineered car. At least once a year, I am at the Autobahn Speedway next door to you in Joliet, IL, and driving Miatas from various years- perfect weight distribution, way too much fun.

Godspeed, kind sir! Enjoy. And get on the Miata forum ASAP as it is one of the best forums out there.
I'm there Rick , maybe I'll see you at the speedway ... not too far away ! This forum has been such a good source of info & people who care about their cars... thanks for getting back on here also !
RickBlaine likes this.

LED Fog Lights
LED Interior Lights
Hidden Hitch
post #13 of 36 Old 03-20-2017, 06:07 AM
Out of Control

Congrats.....looks like a fun car.

What trade-in allowance did you get for your 6-6, if you don't mind sharing that info. Thanks.

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM
post #14 of 36 Old 03-20-2017, 09:59 PM
3rd Gear

Car looks sweet.

I sat in a 2016 Miata GT. I fit perfectly, clutch pedal felt really good. The salesman really wanted me to test drive it. I knew if I test drove it there would be no doubt I would have bought it.

2017 Honda Accord EX-L V6 (current)

Past cars
2002 Acura TL-S 206K
1996 Nissan Maxima SE 5-Spd 110K
1980 Volvo 242 GT 425K

Other Hondas in family
2000 Accord EX-L V6 (mom's) 99.6K
post #15 of 36 Old 03-21-2017, 08:56 AM
Elvira

Problem is he sits right behind me in his cubicle.

All he blabs about the past few days is that daggone MX-5. He never calls it a Miata. Touchy, touchy !!

Keeps goin' "Zoom-Zoom" for no apparent reason too.

Biggest S%^& eating grin too, ALLLLL day long.

He did let me know there is a used 6-6 available somewhere in the Chicago area !!

RickBlaine and Merc6 like this.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous

Please help improve the DA search function add tags to your/others posts and threads. Anyone can add tags to any thread. TIA
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.