K&N 33-2499 stock air filter replacement gas consumtion - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
raheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 108
Thanks: 21
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Red face K&N 33-2499 stock air filter replacement gas consumtion

good day

i recently installed the K&N 33-2499 air filter for my accord v6, it was a straight replacement
performance wise there was a bit quick reaction on throttle in sports mode but i had the opportunity to test it on highway on a 3500 km drive

earlier i had some long drives on stock filter and i got to a point where i was getting 6.5 litre per 100 km, it got as low as 6.2 litres per 100 km at the speed of 120km/h. Miles per gallon 37,94

after K&N filter install the gas consumption increased, during my first part of drive on K&N filter i got 8.2 litres per 100 km at the speed of 120km/h, i tried different speed for every hour ranging from 110 km/h to 125 km/h and i cant get below 8.2 litres per 100 km on K&N. Miles per gallon 28,68

when i switched back to stock original filter the mileage turns back to as low as 6.2 litre per 100 km. Miles per gallon 36,19

right now i am using the stock filter due to better mileage but the whole 3500 km trip was completed in 4 gas tanks with a maximum fill of 58 litres once
its a pretty good mileage for most of people here for a v6 engine and all this was done without the economy mode, but now within city i'm using the stock filter, i have seen people saying this filter increase mileage but i didn't find it so, but it definitely change the car pick and sound a little on sports mode
so for better mileage in city and highway i am back to the stock air filter


Accord Coupe 2016 V6 AT - Navigation and Honda Sense
Accord Sedan 2007 V6 AT
raheel is offline  
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 03:01 AM
Don't drink and drive
 
salcuta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 3,311
Thanks: 225
Thanked 277 Times in 257 Posts
Garage
What brand is your stock filter? If it's a cheapo from ebay, it could be resisting air flow. I had that issue. Once I bought a good paper filter, I could tell that the engine is breathing with ease. K&N made no difference. It's currently laying on the shelf waiting to be thrown out.


2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 166k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
salcuta is online now  
post #3 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
raheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 108
Thanks: 21
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by salcuta View Post
What brand is your stock filter? If it's a cheapo from ebay, it could be resisting air flow. I had that issue. Once I bought a good paper filter, I could tell that the engine is breathing with ease. K&N made no difference. It's currently laying on the shelf waiting to be thrown out.
stock filter is OEM filter 17220-5G0-A00
but the K&N air filter is very light and thin compared to OEM, and what do you mean by resisting airflow , is this mpg not good on highway

Accord Coupe 2016 V6 AT - Navigation and Honda Sense
Accord Sedan 2007 V6 AT
raheel is offline  
 
post #4 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 03:17 AM
Don't drink and drive
 
salcuta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 3,311
Thanks: 225
Thanked 277 Times in 257 Posts
Garage
I mean the engine didn't have the same amount of power at low speeds. When going home and turning towards a small incline, I could always tell that something's off. You know that feeling, breathing through a straw? After I replaced it, all was good again and the engine was happy.

You know K&N lets in more dirt, right?

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 166k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
salcuta is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to salcuta For This Useful Post:
raheel (04-19-2017)
post #5 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 03:21 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
raheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 108
Thanks: 21
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by salcuta View Post
You know K&N lets in more dirt, right?
yes i found that because i had a sandstorm on my way, that was the main reason i immediately swapped back
they cant hold back tiny dirt and sand , i did the oil change after that asap
thanks for confirming this, i was curious that this was my feeling only

Accord Coupe 2016 V6 AT - Navigation and Honda Sense
Accord Sedan 2007 V6 AT
raheel is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 03:50 AM
Out of Control
 
Baldeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 3,254
Thanks: 289
Thanked 528 Times in 407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raheel View Post
good day

i recently installed the K&N 33-2499 air filter for my accord v6, it was a straight replacement
performance wise there was a bit quick reaction on throttle in sports mode but i had the opportunity to test it on highway on a 3500 km drive

earlier i had some long drives on stock filter and i got to a point where i was getting 6.5 litre per 100 km, it got as low as 6.2 litres per 100 km at the speed of 120km/h. Miles per gallon 37,94

after K&N filter install the gas consumption increased, during my first part of drive on K&N filter i got 8.2 litres per 100 km at the speed of 120km/h, i tried different speed for every hour ranging from 110 km/h to 125 km/h and i cant get below 8.2 litres per 100 km on K&N. Miles per gallon 28,68

when i switched back to stock original filter the mileage turns back to as low as 6.2 litre per 100 km. Miles per gallon 36,19

right now i am using the stock filter due to better mileage but the whole 3500 km trip was completed in 4 gas tanks with a maximum fill of 58 litres once
its a pretty good mileage for most of people here for a v6 engine and all this was done without the economy mode, but now within city i'm using the stock filter, i have seen people saying this filter increase mileage but i didn't find it so, but it definitely change the car pick and sound a little on sports mode
so for better mileage in city and highway i am back to the stock air filter
Im sorry, but there is absolutely no way possible an air filter will change highway fuel economy from 38 mpg to 29 mpg, all else equal. Something else is at work.

The science behind this regards pumping losses how much work does it take for the engine to suck air into the engine/cylinder. As you routinely accelerate around town, a mesh filter might improve fuel economy by a tiny fraction because the engine breathes easier. On the highway there should be zero difference. Running with a dirty air filter or a no air filter, highway fuel economy should be essentially the same. The computer and it sensors will equal everything out.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
Baldeagle is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
raheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 108
Thanks: 21
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
Im sorry, but there is absolutely no way possible an air filter will change highway fuel economy from 38 mpg to 29 mpg, all else equal. Something else is at work.

The science behind this ............
if i knew the science i wouldn't be posting here, this all calculation was done on highway, i used k&N for first 1500 km and later switched back to OEM Element all at the speed ranging between 110 km/h to 125 km/h

Accord Coupe 2016 V6 AT - Navigation and Honda Sense
Accord Sedan 2007 V6 AT
raheel is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 04:28 AM
Out of Control
 
Baldeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 3,254
Thanks: 289
Thanked 528 Times in 407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raheel View Post
if i knew the science i wouldn't be posting here, this all calculation was done on highway, i used k&N for first 1500 km and later switched back to OEM Element all at the speed ranging between 110 km/h to 125 km/h
I'm not arguing that your mileage did not change. If your calculations show they did, I'm sure they did. I'm just saying that much of change was not the result of any air filter. Something other than the air filter caused that change.
raheel and calgary_6_6 like this.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
Baldeagle is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 04:33 AM Thread Starter
3rd Gear
 
raheel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 108
Thanks: 21
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
I'm not arguing that your mileage did not change......
Dude chill, i'm not saying you are arguing, i dont know but this is what happened and i m trying to know why, all other constraints were same except the filter

Accord Coupe 2016 V6 AT - Navigation and Honda Sense
Accord Sedan 2007 V6 AT
raheel is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 05:04 AM
4th Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 487
Thanks: 84
Thanked 71 Times in 47 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
Im sorry, but there is absolutely no way possible an air filter will change highway fuel economy from 38 mpg to 29 mpg, all else equal. Something else is at work.

You are correct. Interesting reading:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/...02_26_2009.pdf

2013 Sedan EX-L V6 with Nav, 6 speed Auto trans.
cookieman214 is offline  
post #11 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 05:33 AM
V6 6MT CBP
 
200366HFP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 1,540
Thanks: 17
Thanked 153 Times in 140 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by raheel View Post
Dude chill, i'm not saying you are arguing, i dont know but this is what happened and i m trying to know why, all other constraints were same except the filter
So you are saying the wind direction and speed were exactly the same? I see a 3-5mpg difference with a tail wind vs. head wind.

So you are saying the temperature was exactly the same? I see as much as 5mpg difference with temperature changes.

So you are saying you drove at exactly the same speed? I see a 3-4mpg difference depending on how fast I drive.

2003 I4-AT LX Sedan (Girls car)
2003 V6-6MT HFP Coupe (Now the boys car)
2015 V6-6MT Coupe
200366HFP is online now  
post #12 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 05:39 AM
Out of Control
 
Baldeagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Central NJ
Posts: 3,254
Thanks: 289
Thanked 528 Times in 407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by raheel View Post
Dude chill, i'm not saying you are arguing, i dont know but this is what happened and i m trying to know why, all other constraints were same except the filter
LOL. We may have a language difference. “Arguing” not as in angry. “Arguing” as in to state the rational that supports my point of view. A line of logic or evidence, like in a debate. Trust me, I’m not angry. I'm just trying to help you. With 100% certainty, I can tell you the other constraints were not the same. Something other than the air-filter changed your fuel economy. "What" is the question.
raheel likes this.

2012 Accord Coupe EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT
2007 Accord Sedan EX-L w/Nav, V6-6MT (sold)
Baldeagle is offline  
post #13 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 05:43 AM
Don't drink and drive
 
salcuta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Asheville, NC
Posts: 3,311
Thanks: 225
Thanked 277 Times in 257 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
“Arguing” not as in angry.
As long as you two don't start arguing in caps
SimplyStevo likes this.

2005 Honda Accord V6 LX - 166k
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2015 Rocky Mountain Soul (Runs on fat)

2005 Toyota Corolla
2011 Ninja 250R
2006 Cadillac CTS
1999 Nissan Altima

"Ordinary people have big TVs. Extraordinary people have big libraries." - Robin Sharma
salcuta is online now  
post #14 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 05:54 AM
Your Maintenance Minder
 
RickBlaine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Skokie, IL (next to Chicago)
Posts: 7,744
Thanks: 2,283
Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by salcuta View Post
As long as you two don't start arguing in caps
I'd just settle for simple English that I- a graduate of the public school system, can understand!

OP, I do not understand your method of fuel consumption calculation. HOW EXACTLY are you calculating mpg? (or kilometers per gallon)

Side note: When my brother first joined the US Air Force he was a Navigator/EWO in a B-52 bomber. The bomber had nukes (Strategic Air Command base in Minot, ND) and they would need 2x the runway length to take off in hot Guam as they would in Minot during wintertime. That is how cold air can affect nuking every living thing on earth.
RickBlaine is online now  
post #15 of 27 Old 04-19-2017, 06:11 AM
1st Gear
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 34
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is this the K&N filter that must be oiled before use? The oiling part of this can be tricky: too little and the filter's efficiency is compromised, too much and excess oil can contaminate the air flow monitor and other things downstream. I agree it seems unlikely a filter by itself changed fuel economy that much, but excess oil deposited in engine management sensors can do all kind of odd things.

HondaBob likes this.
Dans15 is offline  
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools Search this Thread
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread:



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome