Stuck on which Accord to get - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 35 Old 04-19-2017, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Stuck on which Accord to get

So I am in need on a new car and stuck between getting an Accord EX-L v6 or Touring. Will be a sedan. Found a 2016 in each at a great price. Is it worth spending the extra $2500 for a touring? Both are new cars and want to stick with new due to the special financing they have available.

Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old 04-19-2017, 12:41 PM
6th Gear

Do what I do. I start at the lowest trim I might want, and give it a thorough test drive. If it doesn't do it all, I move uo to the next trim level, and stop when I get what I'm looking for.

Spend some time identifying everything that is at the trim level you start at, and what the higher trim level adds. Don't rush, and don't settle for less than you want.

2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT
2003 LX MT
post #3 of 35 Old 04-19-2017, 12:59 PM
3rd Gear

The Touring has 19" wheels, Navi, Sensing, Heated Rear Seats, LED headlights. Not worth it to me. I'm told Google maps are better than the navi. 19's get stolen if you live near a big city and are too big although they do look much nicer than the EX-L pinwheels. I don't want/trust Sensing. Heated seats are overrated especially in the rear. Be aware that a new generation is coming out in a few months that should have a much better interior (many complain about the dual screens).

2013 Accord Sedan LX CVT

post #4 of 35 Old 04-19-2017, 01:07 PM
4th Gear

I have a touring and would say yes it's worth the extra money. However, you just need to compare the additional cost against the additional features you're paying for - and ask yourself how much are they extra features worth to you. Just do what's right for your needs/wants and budget. The price point on the touring was below my max budget, so getting the touring was a no brainer for me. And I have yet to use or learn about 75% of what I paid for.

2017 Accord Coupe | Touring | MSM
post #5 of 35 Old 04-19-2017, 02:32 PM
5th Gear

Garage
The Touring also gets you the adaptive suspension dampers if that is important to you.
Merc6 likes this.
post #6 of 35 Old 04-19-2017, 04:01 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
I have a touring and would say yes it's worth the extra money. However, you just need to compare the additional cost against the additional features you're paying for - and ask yourself how much are they extra features worth to you. Just do what's right for your needs/wants and budget. The price point on the touring was below my max budget, so getting the touring was a no brainer for me. And I have yet to use or learn about 75% of what I paid for.
I came from a 2011 BMW 335i coupe to the 2017 Touring coupe. I don't miss the BMW. I gained the Garmin navi, better MPG, ACC, LKAS (great on the turnpike), CarPlay and better looking vehicle - and it doesn't need premium gas. Since I got a good trade-in price on a fully paid off car, it only cost me about $23.5K OTD.
seldomseen likes this.

2017 Accord Touring Coupe CBP/Black
CH Interior LED
Console Tray
Tint 28% front, 15% rear - Florida legal
WOLO Sonicblast horns
post #7 of 35 Old 04-19-2017, 04:56 PM
2nd Gear

I did comparison between EXL V6 and touring....found 3k extra for just heated back seat, nice chrome wheels, sensing dampers....found EXL V6 with sensing doing all I wanted...I am ok with EXL V6 wheel design where some others on this forum don't like it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 35 Old 04-19-2017, 06:01 PM
6th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pspressart View Post
I came from a 2011 BMW 335i coupe to the 2017 Touring coupe. I don't miss the BMW. I gained the Garmin navi, better MPG, ACC, LKAS (great on the turnpike)......
And you don't have to pay $20 a quart for transmission fluid or whatever BMW's outrageous charges are now.

2007 Accord SE sedan; I-4 automatic
post #9 of 35 Old 04-19-2017, 06:12 PM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark890 View Post
I did comparison between EXL V6 and touring....found 3k extra for just heated back seat, nice chrome wheels, sensing dampers....found EXL V6 with sensing doing all I wanted...I am ok with EXL V6 wheel design where some others on this forum don't like it

You missed a quite a bit. The Touring also has LED headlights with autohighbeam, side skirts, navigation, amplitude reactive dampers, and front and rear parking sensors.

I would say go for the Touring. Those extra features very worth the $3K more dollars in my opinion.
post #10 of 35 Old 04-19-2017, 06:13 PM
3rd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtts60 View Post
And you don't have to pay $20 a quart for transmission fluid or whatever BMW's outrageous charges are now.
Almost anything for the BMW is going to cost more, even if you go to an independent mechanic. I was caught up in the "ooh - it's a BMW" mindset. Yes, they are fantastic performing cars, but for everyday driving, my Accord is better. You see the commercials where the BMW is winding through the curving hilly country roads. That was fine for me when I got my first BMW in Kentucky. Now I live in Broward County, FL. The roads are straight and flat - no need for the Ultimate Driving Machine.

2017 Accord Touring Coupe CBP/Black
CH Interior LED
Console Tray
Tint 28% front, 15% rear - Florida legal
WOLO Sonicblast horns
post #11 of 35 Old 04-19-2017, 09:59 PM
4th Gear

Garage
I'm also voting for the Touring. You can always swap/sell the wheels on either trim but the Touring is still going to give you more in the end.

2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD)
2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car)
post #12 of 35 Old 04-20-2017, 03:50 AM
6th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pspressart View Post
Almost anything for the BMW is going to cost more, even if you go to an independent mechanic. I was caught up in the "ooh - it's a BMW" mindset. Yes, they are fantastic performing cars, but for everyday driving, my Accord is better. You see the commercials where the BMW is winding through the curving hilly country roads. That was fine for me when I got my first BMW in Kentucky. Now I live in Broward County, FL. The roads are straight and flat - no need for the Ultimate Driving Machine.
Agreed. In Florida, there is no need for a car like a BMW. We winter in FL every year, and it is better on the way down to drive the BMW, but it is OK to drive the Accord down too. You give up some comfort and ride, and of course some responsiveness on that ride.

But, going up and down the Tamiami or Jog Road, or any other road down there, the BMW is no better than the Accord, and gas is half a buck more a gallon. If we moved down there, BMWs would be history, and we might even do something like a Volt or a Bolt, and just look for ride and efficiency and the necessary size.

But up here in the beautiful Hudson Valley of NY, give me the BMW on two lane blacktop every day. The open question is whether it is worth paying double to buy, and measurably more to own and operate. When this BMW is done, I will have to revisit that question.

2014 EX-L, I4 CVT MSM
2008 BMW 535i, Steptronic; European Delivery

Retired Accords
1989 LX MT
1994 EX MT
2003 LX MT
post #13 of 35 Old 04-20-2017, 03:51 AM
2nd Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImagioX1 View Post
You missed a quite a bit. The Touring also has LED headlights with autohighbeam, side skirts, navigation, amplitude reactive dampers, and front and rear parking sensors.

I would say go for the Touring. Those extra features very worth the $3K more dollars in my opinion.

EXL V6 with Honda sensing comes with Navigation too....just like mine....with Navi.....
LED lights or bulbs can be installed within $200 range....just like I did by purchasing them from Amazon H8 and H11 for less than $100....
at the time of buying the car I negotiated for parking sensor installation, mud flaps, car seat protection wraps and window tint with the dealer
so I got those on my EXL V6 for $29300 OTD
I never favored side skirts...

post #14 of 35 Old 04-20-2017, 04:19 AM
6th Gear

EXL V6 without sensing and navigation is the sweet spot in value. But sensing will probably become standard on future Accords so if Sensing is important to you then get the Touring. I think the $2500 is worth it but know that those Touring wheels attract a lot of attention from thieves and 19 inch tires will cost more to replace when they wear out. It's a win win either way though, it's a great car for the money. Smooth, tight and fast and it always comes up in conversations when compared to cars that cost much more which says something.

2009 CRV LX
2014 Accord EXL-V6
2015 CRV Touring
2017 Ridgeline RTS
post #15 of 35 Old 04-20-2017, 04:30 AM
2nd Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14v6 View Post
EXL V6 without sensing and navigation is the sweet spot in value. But sensing will probably become standard on future Accords so if Sensing is important to you then get the Touring. I think the $2500 is worth it but know that those Touring wheels attract a lot of attention from thieves and 19 inch tires will cost more to replace when they wear out. It's a win win either way though, it's a great car for the money. Smooth, tight and fast and it always comes up in conversations when compared to cars that cost much more which says something.
Agreed, that's why I bought one.

2017 EX-L V6. WOP. 28% Solarguard. Otherwise, Bone stock.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.