I4 CVT - Annoying vibration when idling - Drive Accord Honda Forums
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 05-17-2017, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

I4 CVT - Annoying vibration when idling

Less than two weeks ago I bought my first Honda: 2017 Accord Sedan Sport CVT with Honda Sensing. I've been enjoying it so far, but there's a very annoying issue I didn't notice on a test drive. The car vibrates on idling and I can see the RPM needle fluctuating.

There are several YouTube videos showing similar abnormal behavior:

Have you ever experienced the same problem with your 9th generation Accord? If yes, how did you fix it?

Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 05-17-2017, 12:15 PM
Your Maintenance Minder

Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,167 Posts

post #3 of 21 Old 05-18-2017, 04:37 PM
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiganski View Post
Less than two weeks ago I bought my first Honda: 2017 Accord Sedan Sport CVT with Honda Sensing. I've been enjoying it so far, but there's a very annoying issue I didn't notice on a test drive. The car vibrates on idling and I can see the RPM needle fluctuating.

Have you ever experienced the same problem with your 9th generation Accord? If yes, how did you fix it?
Yes, on my '16 Coupe EX CVT+Sensing.

Seems to be a common issue with CVTs, just look around on these forums. I usually just shift into N at long lights or in stop/go traffic. Stops vibrating immediately...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickBlaine View Post
Nag, nag, nag...
stiganski likes this.

Last edited by namegoeshere; 05-18-2017 at 08:59 PM. Reason: le merge

post #4 of 21 Old 05-19-2017, 03:49 AM
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronch View Post
Yes, on my '16 Coupe EX CVT+Sensing.

Seems to be a common issue with CVTs, just look around on these forums. I usually just shift into N at long lights or in stop/go traffic. Stops vibrating immediately...
I do the same for my 2016 EX during long lights. Question, is there any long term wear or damage that could be done doing this? (shifting to N).

Last edited by namegoeshere; 05-19-2017 at 09:09 AM. Reason: fix quote fail
post #5 of 21 Old 05-19-2017, 05:09 AM
5th Gear

Should be fine so long as you're not shifting while driving. I'm used to driving my manual which has an automatic neutral when not in gear. On the occasions I drive the accord, I do the same. The vibration seems most pronounced when the engine is cold. Not as noticeable once at operating temp.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #6 of 21 Old 05-19-2017, 05:12 AM
Call me Z

I noticed vibration as well when I first got mine. Went away on its own after a few hundred miles and several blasts down the highway. Now at 2500 miles on the clock, that initial vibration is gone. Consider it "new car break-in" and move on.
stiganski likes this.

2017 White Orchid Pearl Sport k24 CVT
Stock as **** but I love it

2005 Satin Silver Metallic LX sedan k24 5MT
Had a bunch of suspension and stereo mods. R.I.P. 4/17/17
post #7 of 21 Old 05-19-2017, 07:09 AM
4th Gear

Could be from the ac compressor cycling. All hondas do this when at idle if the AC compressor cycles. The engine has to increase rpm slightly to account for the additional load but the compressor only cycles for a couple seconds so then the rpms drop back down.
stiganski likes this.
post #8 of 21 Old 05-19-2017, 09:07 AM
4th Gear

My '16 Coupe has ~11K miles and the vibration hasn't gone away. In fact, I think it only started after they did that CVT software update last fall.

And the CVT vibrates at (long) stoplights whether the A/C is on or not. Doesn't matter if engine is cold or warm...
stiganski likes this.
post #9 of 21 Old 05-19-2017, 04:54 PM
4th Gear

CVTs mated to 4 cylinder engines will cause noticeable vibration. This phenomenon affects Nissan, Toyota, Subaru, etc. I will say, the '17 Nissan Altima that I rented a couple of weeks ago, was rather smooth, and only had minor vibration at low speeds, or at an idle. It wasn't bothersome because I've driven CVT equipped cars in the past. My point is there isn't a "fix" for the vibration, as it's a harmless characteristic of the CVT and engine combination.

2017 Accord Coupe | Touring | MSM
post #10 of 21 Old 05-20-2017, 05:30 AM
1st Gear

Garage
I have 2016 Accord LX sedan with 18,000 miles (CVT) that I bought new. I have never noticed this vibration, either before or after the software update. It may have something to do with the difference in the Sport configuration (Dual exhaust, different suspension and wheels)
post #11 of 21 Old 05-20-2017, 12:06 PM
BRWNFLSH now

I don't think it has anything to do with the CVT. 4 cylinder Accords have been vibrating at stops since at least 92, with everything from motor mounts to electric load detectors being blamed for it. Still haven't seen a definite solution for any of them.
My 16 has a little vibration when first started cold, when the idle speed is up, but no vibration after a couple minutes running (so far with 7000 miles).

92 EX Sedan auto (RBM) - sold after 12 years (140k miles)
03 EX V6 Sedan auto (NBP, then Ford Blue) - traded in after 13 years (135k miles)
16 EX I4 CVT with sensing (KCM) - 7000 miles so far
post #12 of 21 Old 05-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Out of Control

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLCKFLSH View Post
I don't think it has anything to do with the CVT. 4 cylinder Accords have been vibrating at stops since at least 92, with everything from motor mounts to electric load detectors being blamed for it. Still haven't seen a definite solution for any of them.
My 16 has a little vibration when first started cold, when the idle speed is up, but no vibration after a couple minutes running (so far with 7000 miles).
I think you are correct. Some who don't have clue want to grasp at straws and blame the vibration on the CVT. I am no fan of the CVT, but it is very unlikely that the vibration that some drivers find objectionable is related to the CVT.

2013 Accord Coupe V6-6MT MSM
post #13 of 21 Old 05-20-2017, 04:30 PM
5th Gear

The vibration is due to the low idle I think. Giving it just a touch of throttle while idling makes the vibration go away. Set so low for emission reasons.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock
post #14 of 21 Old 05-20-2017, 08:14 PM
5th Gear

The vibration is due to manufacturer's bad move of one configuration for both MT and AT; hence vibration on AT at idle. Of course if you put both in Neutral, they are all just fine; but they forgot their own products that both MT and AT don't operate in the same fashion.
post #15 of 21 Old 05-21-2017, 10:50 AM
4th Gear

If you do a basic google search, and you will be bombarded with a plethora of information that suggests, and proves that the vibration is related to the CVT. Not sure why people still deny this reality. Honda's CVT is supposed to be one of better ones on the market, with the most reliable performance history, along with the best CVT characteristics.

2017 Accord Coupe | Touring | MSM
Advertisement

Tags
cvt, issue, problem, vibration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.