• 2 Post By Miker
  • 2 Post By RickBlaine
  • 1 Post By mclasser
  • 2 Post By UnknownJinX
  • 1 Post By seldomseen

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Does anyone else smell coolant from the engine when the ambient temperature is around 80+ on a '17 V6? I mainly smell the coolant upon initial start up. There's definitely no leaks or overheating, but 80 degrees almost seems to cool to cause the engine to emit coolant odor when the car only idles for 3 - 5 minutes. Coolant combined with new car interior smell isn't the most pleasant scent. I noticed the smell with my windows down, and not through the car's interior.

EDIT

I figured it out....the coolant tank is sitting at the "low" line. Not sure how this would occur with only 2000 miles on the odometer. I don't suspect this occurred due to a leak as there has never been any fluid in my driveway. I wasn't able to notice this when the car was at operating temperature. Luckily I checked the fluid at 9:30pm.

2017 Accord Coupe | Touring | MSM

Last edited by namegoeshere; 05-17-2017 at 05:58 PM. Reason: merge
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-17-2017, 07:38 PM
4th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post
Does anyone else smell coolant from the engine when the ambient temperature is around 80+ on a '17 V6? I mainly smell the coolant upon initial start up. There's definitely no leaks or overheating, but 80 degrees almost seems to cool to cause the engine to emit coolant odor when the car only idles for 3 - 5 minutes. Coolant combined with new car interior smell isn't the most pleasant scent. I noticed the smell with my windows down, and not through the car's interior.

EDIT

I figured it out....the coolant tank is sitting at the "low" line. Not sure how this would occur with only 2000 miles on the odometer. I don't suspect this occurred due to a leak as there has never been any fluid in my driveway. I wasn't able to notice this when the car was at operating temperature. Luckily I checked the fluid at 9:30pm.
Sounds like air pockets worked their way out.

2017 San Marino Red Honda Accord Sport 6MT (DD)
2005 Satin White Pearl Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Unlimited 5EAT (Project Car)
post #3 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 02:34 AM
Reverse Gear

I had to add coolant to my 7th gen at about the same mileage. 150k later, I've never had to add again. I don't recall smelling coolant though. Mine seemed to just not have been filled fully at the factory, but I can't really understand that happening.

2007 Accord LX-SE 4d 5spd MT Graphite Pearl (was his, now son's)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT Crystal Black Pearl/Ivory (His)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT White Orchid Pearl/Ivory (Hers)

Previous Rides
1993 Buick Regal 3.8
1992 Acura Legend LS 4D 5MT
1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4AT
1986 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT
1981 Saab 900 Turbo 4D 3AT "The money pit" $5K+ in repairs in 2 years
1976 Volvo 242DL 3AT "The Vault"
1976 Toyota Corona 4D 3AT "The Oven" black vinyl interior and no A/C

post #4 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 04:03 AM
Elvira

Quote:
Originally Posted by seldomseen View Post

EDIT

{bolded}

Do you know what the level was when you purchased the car? I ask because even when I bought mine at 6 miles on the odo, I always check the levels after the PDI. Overcautious or curiosity really!!

The levels of certain fluids (coolant)I have found on all cars iv'e purchased, to be at their MINIMUM from the get-go.

There is probably the airpocket mentioned by @Merc6 that worked it's way out too.

Top it off and check again in a few thousand miles.

If there is a real concern about leaks check your oil for coolant.
enne and Merc6 like this.

Mike

2013 EX-L V6/6A (no nav) sedan CBP
"vita est brevis, vado pro V6" - Me
"Speak only when you feel that your words are better than your silence." - Anonymous

Please help improve the DA search function add tags to your/others posts and threads. Anyone can add tags to any thread. TIA
post #5 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 04:29 AM
Your Maintenance Minder

Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,167 Posts
And know that the level in the coolant overflow/expansion tank fluctuates depending on if your engine is hot or cool.
enne and Merc6 like this.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Come to think of it, every time inspected my engine was after I drove to the car, to ensure there were any leaks. So each time I looked, the reservoir tank was high. (I apparently only inspected the oil when the engine was cold). I'm guessing no harm was caused, because the engine didn't overheat.

I just bought some Honda coolant this morning, and will fill the reservoir tank. If the the tank falls to the minimum line again, what does that mean? Leak, bad radiator?

post #7 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 06:34 AM
4th Gear

Garage
When the engine is cold, the correct level will be "min" in the reserve tank. When the engine is hot, the correct level will be at "max". Filling it to the max mark when cold does not do anything except reduce the amount of space the hot coolant has to go to in the tank, thus creating a situation where the tank will overflow and spill onto the ground. You do not want to do this. RTFM

If there is an issue, take it to the dealer...that is why there is a warranty.

From page 523 of your owners manual:

This coolant is premixed with 50% antifreeze and 50% water. Do not add any
straight antifreeze or water.
We recommend you check the engine coolant level every time you refuel. Check the
reserve tank first. If it is completely empty, also check the coolant level in the
radiator. Add the engine coolant accordingly.
1. Check the amount of coolant in the reserve
tank.
2. If the coolant level is below the MIN mark,
add the specified coolant until it reaches
the MAX mark.
3. Inspect the cooling system for leaks.

Former vehicles:

2014 Honda Accord LX Sedan 6MT, 2.4L 4cyl

2005 Honda Civic VP 2dr Coupe, 5MT, 1.7L 4cyl

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr sedan, AT, 2.4L 4cyl

1992 Ford Thunderbird Base 2 dr coupe, AT, 3.8L V-6

1987 Toyota Celica ST 2dr coupe, 5MT, 2.0L 4Cyl

1983 Buick LeSabre Custom 2dr Coupe, AT, 4.1L V-6
post #8 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 06:52 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord2014LX View Post
Filling it to the max mark when cold does not do anything except reduce the amount of space the hot coolant has to go to in the tank, thus creating a situation where the tank will overflow and spill onto the ground.
This ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord2014LX View Post
We recommend you check the engine coolant level every time you refuel.
Check the reserve tank first. If it is completely empty, also check the coolant level in the radiator.
Add the engine coolant accordingly.
I dunno about checking the actual radiator level when refueling, because the engine is probably still quite hot from driving, right?

Selene, 1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan, 2.3L F23A4, 136K, liquid wrapped jet black
Harlock, 1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe, 3.8L 3800-II, 120K, sebring silver
Dana, 2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan, 2.2 L 2200, 134K, sandrift metallic
post #9 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Good info!

post #10 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 07:11 AM
6th Gear

It doesn't take much coolant to make an odor. You probably have a drip somewhere that doesn't make its way to the ground. Whenever I change coolant hoses on an older car, I often smell coolant and eventually chase down the issue. Now that your coolant tank has been topped off you can establish a baseline of where the level should be both hot and cold. If you are losing coolant you will know but coolant odor is not normal.

2009 CRV LX
2014 Accord EXL-V6
2015 CRV Touring
2017 Ridgeline RTS
post #11 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 07:28 AM
4th Gear

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by enne View Post

I dunno about checking the actual radiator level when refueling, because the engine is probably still quite hot from driving, right?
It can be done. It wouldn't need to be done unless the reserve tank is empty.You would have to open the cap to the first detent and stop. This keeps the cap on the radiator, but takes the load off of the spring seal to let pressure bleed off into the reserve tank. Then the cap can be removed safely. I would not recommend anyone does this unless you know what the risks are (getting scalded by hot coolant) and how to avoid it. If you're scared of the consequences, wait until the engine cools.

Former vehicles:

2014 Honda Accord LX Sedan 6MT, 2.4L 4cyl

2005 Honda Civic VP 2dr Coupe, 5MT, 1.7L 4cyl

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr sedan, AT, 2.4L 4cyl

1992 Ford Thunderbird Base 2 dr coupe, AT, 3.8L V-6

1987 Toyota Celica ST 2dr coupe, 5MT, 2.0L 4Cyl

1983 Buick LeSabre Custom 2dr Coupe, AT, 4.1L V-6
post #12 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 07:34 AM
Bout it, Bout it

When the car is hot, I like to have the overflow tank up to the MAX line so it's easy to track level changes from a leak. I recommend you do this and monitor for bit. If the level drops, the dealer has something substantial to go by instead of just saying they couldn't replicate the issue.
enne likes this.

2002 Honda Accord EX-L SULEV -- 200K miles
2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD -- 40K miles
2002 Infiniti I35 -- 120K miles VQ35 BABY!
post #13 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 07:42 AM
又一位第八代雅阁双门车主

Garage
Since your car is new I say just take it to the dealership. You don't need to get a pressure test tool kit or anything.

If you have coolant in your oil, you would probably know that already, as you would have a good amount of white puff blowing out of the tailpipe. I doubt your car has a blown head gasket at this point, however.

And yes, check your Owner's Manual on how to check different fluids. Most cars require you to have the coolant level near Low when your car is stone cold, but my RX-8 actually requires you to have it at the High mark, and the H and L line are like half an inch apart. Just another thing quirky about it.

Sent via MHA-L29. Whatever.
enne and seldomseen like this.

My first car!

2008 Honda Accord Coupé EX-L V6 w/Navi 5AT PMM

Mods and such things:

AFE Pro Dry S drop-in filter
HFP body kit
RGR-16D HFP Alloy Wheels
i-VTEC & 3.5 stickers
High and Low beams - Philips CrystalVision Ultra
Front turn signals - HV 6000K white/amber switchback
Rear lights - Philips Vision LEDs
Interior LEDs
Crosstour shift knob
OEM footwell lights
and more!

1999 Toyota Corolla CE 5MT(sold)

2009 Mazda RX-8 GT w/Navi 6MT
post #14 of 14 Old 05-18-2017, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
4th Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miker View Post
I always check the levels after the PDI. Overcautious or curiosity really!!
I took delivery of my car around 100pm, so I'm not even sure if a PDI was even performed. I still haven't even received a survey from Honda, I'm guessing I never will, because I shared my displeasure with the GM. Nonetheless, I got the exact car I wanted.
Miker likes this.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.