Got hit in parking lot. Insurance wants to "remanufacture" wheels.. - Drive Accord Honda Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-18-2017, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Got hit in parking lot. Insurance wants to "remanufacture" wheels..

Some newbie teenager hit the rear of my car and addition to wrecking my bumper he also scratched my wheel. Insurance is only going to "remanufacture" wheel. Meaning they will repainted and refinish. I don't know about you but that sounds like the wheel's clear coat will be coming off in a couple of years. Should I keep trying to get them to replace the wheel or should I just take the $200 charge for refinishing the wheel and pay the extra $250 for a new one? Thanks!

Attached Images

Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-19-2017, 02:40 AM
Semper Fi

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagbanua View Post
Some newbie teenager hit the rear of my car and addition to wrecking my bumper he also scratched my wheel. Insurance is only going to "remanufacture" wheel. Meaning they will repainted and refinish. I don't know about you but that sounds like the wheel's clear coat will be coming off in a couple of years. Should I keep trying to get them to replace the wheel or should I just take the $200 charge for refinishing the wheel and pay the extra $250 for a new one? Thanks!
That sucks man, sorry to see. I'm not familiar with the remanning process but I'd look around for some reputable companies who guarantee their work. You might be able to get a guaranteed job that's a little more reassuring than whatever cut rate operation the insurance company is going to use.

Good luck

2013 Accord LX | CVT | ASM
- Sport 18" Wheels
- Debadged
- Decklid Spoiler
- Rear Windshield Spoiler
- H9 Headlight upgrade
- Blacked out grill and other chrome bits
- iJDMtoy LED Parking Light
- XuJi Leather Steering Wheel cover
- 25mm rear and 5mm front spacers

Next up - Coilovers, vinyl wrap interior......
post #3 of 18 Old 05-19-2017, 05:07 AM
5th Gear

The place that did ours did a reasonably good job. Very hard to tell there was any damage there. Time will tell how well the refinishing process holds up. Supposedly the entire repair job came with a lifetime warranty (assuming the body shop stays in business that long). Our wheel was not scratched but gouged.

2012 Infiniti G37S 6MT Sedan - Eibach Sway bars, Invidia Q300 Exhaust
2015 Honda Accord EX-L Sedan 100% stock

post #4 of 18 Old 05-19-2017, 05:32 AM
2017 SMR Sport SE 6MT

There is nothing wrong with quality wheel refinishing.

That being said, have the work done and if it is not to your liking, or subpar, press the Insurance adjuster for a new wheel.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango/
post #5 of 18 Old 05-19-2017, 05:41 AM
Runnin' in the 90s

Garage
A lot of places [dealerships] have a "wheel guy" contractor that comes and just refinishes wheels. Like they have a whole setup for painting and fixing wheels. That is probably what they will do with yours as well. Can you get your own quote from a Honda dealership/other shop, to compare with the insurance's offer, maybe? Or has the deal already been made?

Selene, 1999 Honda Accord LX Sedan, 2.3L F23A4, 136K, liquid wrapped jet black
Harlock, 1998 Chevy Camaro Coupe, 3.8L 3800-II, 120K, sebring silver
Dana, 2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sedan, 2.2 L 2200, 134K, sandrift metallic
post #6 of 18 Old 05-19-2017, 06:28 AM
Reverse Gear

I would be upset as well. It doesn't look like there is any structural damage to the wheel and that is what they probably base it on. Just like body panels, if there is no structural damage - they remove the scratches and repaint. If there is any chance that there is any structural damage on the wheel, you have to fight it though. Good luck!

2007 Accord LX-SE 4d 5spd MT Graphite Pearl (was his, now son's)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT Crystal Black Pearl/Ivory (His)
2015 Accord EX-L V6 4d AT White Orchid Pearl/Ivory (Hers)

Previous Rides
1993 Buick Regal 3.8
1992 Acura Legend LS 4D 5MT
1992 Nissan Maxima SE 4AT
1986 Nissan Maxima SE 5MT
1981 Saab 900 Turbo 4D 3AT "The money pit" $5K+ in repairs in 2 years
1976 Volvo 242DL 3AT "The Vault"
1976 Toyota Corona 4D 3AT "The Oven" black vinyl interior and no A/C
post #7 of 18 Old 05-19-2017, 06:32 AM
4th Gear

Quote:
Insurance is only going to "remanufacture" wheel. Meaning they will repainted and refinish.
This is unfortunately standard protocol with insurance companies. Let us know what you end up doing.

2017 Accord Coupe | Touring | MSM
post #8 of 18 Old 05-19-2017, 09:52 AM
5th Gear

Garage
Push back. Your car can't be very old, and pretty much deserves a new wheel since it is basically new. Quite often insurance companies will try one thing to save a few bucks and if you just say no they will cave and do what's right. Now, if the car was 10 years old or something it would be different, but on a newer car you should get better service.

Also, assuming this is the other guy's insurance giving you grief. If they still resist, get your own company involved to help push back on them. That's what you pay premiums for. If your company won't help, consider changing carriers. My agent has been an effective advocate in a number of situations and always works to help me out. Which is one reason he has had my business (home, auto, life) for well over 20 years.
post #9 of 18 Old 05-19-2017, 12:18 PM
2017 SMR Sport SE 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOrchid View Post
Push back. Your car can't be very old, and pretty much deserves a new wheel since it is basically new. Quite often insurance companies will try one thing to save a few bucks and if you just say no they will cave and do what's right. Now, if the car was 10 years old or something it would be different, but on a newer car you should get better service.

Also, assuming this is the other guy's insurance giving you grief. If they still resist, get your own company involved to help push back on them. That's what you pay premiums for. If your company won't help, consider changing carriers. My agent has been an effective advocate in a number of situations and always works to help me out. Which is one reason he has had my business (home, auto, life) for well over 20 years.
There's no reason to push back unless the post repair results are unacceptable.

That's a minor scuff that can be easily addressed with wheel refinishing which the insurance adjuster knows.

post #10 of 18 Old 05-19-2017, 03:37 PM
3rd Gear

Id get them to give me $300 and then put $100 of my own towards PCing all the wheels black.

2017 Honda Accord Sport WOP
2014 Honda Accord Sport
2007 Ford Crown Vic
2008 Honda Civic Si
2008 Nissan Frontier SE
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2006 Honda CBR 600RR (wrecked)
2005 Toyota Tundra
2003 Chevy S10
1996 Honda Civic EX
1992 Honda Accord LX
1989 Dodge Ram 1500
1983 Toyota P/U
1985 to 1996 Several bicycles and skateboards
post #11 of 18 Old 05-19-2017, 03:44 PM
Uptown Rooter

Read your policy!!!!!!!!! There's specific language in auto ins. policies about replacing vs repairing.

OEM fogs / 22mm Progress RSB / Ultra Racing FSB / Koni FSDs / Modulo grille / debadged trunk /

Previous cars: 2003 EXL V6 Accord Coupe
1995 Accord EX Sedan
1985 Mercedes 300 Turbodiesel
1989 Volvo S90 Turbo
post #12 of 18 Old 05-19-2017, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOrchid View Post

I've tried already pushing back on the appraiser and the adjuster. I'm going to try my luck at another shop tomorrow. My car is only 6 months old considering it was manufactured in 12/2016 and I was planning on keeping her for long time. Unfortunately the alignment is a bit off also on the drivers rear also (had a buddy check it) so there's probably some suspension damage. I'm really (URINATING OFF) and seriously thinking about dumping the car after its "fixed". Our 2003 accord also had its bumper repainted and after 5 years the paint starts to peel and bubble. It seems to be common with this low VOC crap tastic paint. White metallic is also really hard to match well and I seriously doubt the lackeys that work at these body shops can match it.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-19-2017, 06:37 PM
3rd Gear

Send a message via Yahoo to muzikman80
Damage really doesnt look that bad. Insurance isn't going to give you a new wheel. I know 6 months old is not alot but insurance companies after 4 months will go after market or used. And the bumber matching will be close as possible. Bumpers are painted separately at the factory not with the car.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-20-2017, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
1st Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzikman80 View Post
Damage really doesnt look that bad. Insurance isn't going to give you a new wheel. I know 6 months old is not alot but insurance companies after 4 months will go after market or used. And the bumber matching will be close as possible. Bumpers are painted separately at the factory not with the car.
It's not really the bumper I'm concerned about as it looks slightly different from the factory anyway, it's the rear quarter panel that'll also need to be repainted, I hate seeing overspray, which is unavoidable when they're only painting a partial part of a panel. I think you're right about the wheels though. I've had a 'repaint' done before on other cars done to wheels, and within 5 years, the wheel clearcoat doesn't hold up anywhere as well as the original wheel. Considering our cars are nearing the end of production, soon only refurbished/used wheels will be available for purchase....

2017 Honda Accord Orchid White Touring 4D
2010 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD
2007 Honda Ridgeline RTX
2003 Honda Accord EX V6
post #15 of 18 Old 05-20-2017, 04:53 AM
2017 SMR Sport SE 6MT

Quote:
I've tried already pushing back on the appraiser and the adjuster. I'm going to try my luck at another shop tomorrow. My car is only 6 months old considering it was manufactured in 12/2016 and I was planning on keeping her for long time. Unfortunately the alignment is a bit off also on the drivers rear also (had a buddy check it) so there's probably some suspension damage. I'm really (URINATING OFF) and seriously thinking about dumping the car after its "fixed". Our 2003 accord also had its bumper repainted and after 5 years the paint starts to peel and bubble. It seems to be common with this low VOC crap tastic paint. White metallic is also really hard to match well and I seriously doubt the lackeys that work at these body shops can match it.

Now that's a bit extreme, don't you think? That's very minor damage, nothing worth "dumping" it or questioning the longevity.

Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Drive Accord Honda Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
The answer to the random question may be found under the Off Topic section of the forums and in the "Drive Accord Forums" category.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.