Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Will it get push button start?

37K views 125 replies 40 participants last post by  TheGandalf 
#1 ·
Will Honda finally step up and add push-button start? Toyota's have 'em on the comparable Camry. My current Nissan Maxima has it. You can even get it on a Nissan Sentra!

I really like the Accord and will probably be downgrading from the Maxima and would definitely consider the new coupe (now that it has more techy toys) if it has the push-button.

It's just not for premium cars anymore - come'on Honda!

#85 · (Edited)
I'd like to see one like the Nissan's have...completely keyless when you need it because your hands are full of stuff, but you can also pull out the key when you want. Speaking as a female, I would LOVE to have a completely keyless entry and start because the last thing I want to do is search into the bottomless pit of a purse that I have trying to find my keys.

Guess we'll have to wait and see....

#86 ·
If you have keyless push start why would you all the sudden feel the urge to get the key out and use it instead.:dunno:
I think the key part is meant to be used ss a fail safe in case the battery of the keyless remote suddenly dies on you. :nuts:

#96 ·
FYI

Proximity / keyless entry systems have a VERY limited range. My Mazda manual specifically states the fob has to be within 2.6ft of either front door handle or the trunk switch. If somone breaks into your garage, the car won't open because the key is in the house. Unless it's hanging on a hook 3 feet off the ground on the wall right next to the car, nothing will happen. I've left the car and have forgotten to turn off ACC mode. The car knows as soon as I get out and shut the door, the fob just moved out of the 2.6ft range.

As for additional security, it's encypted like a regular key with an immobilizer chip. And there is a backup key in the fob.

Personally, the keyless start is something I can give or take but it is very convenient. And IMO it seems there would be more issues with a key and tumbler set down the road than electronics.

What I like keyless systems for is the convenience of the unlocking. I really do like being able to walk up to the car, grab the handle and get in. When it's pouring our or if there's just a ton of stuff in my pocket, it's much easier to grab and go.

#97 ·
My brother's friend owns a Accord too,without push start but he really wants one, and I was told by him you can add it onto your car,kinda like a modifying job to the car. You can buy it from China and let a technician to install, that's simple and amazing! it is truth that he install the push start system into Accord, but i'm sorry I forget the name of the supplier... ... but i wanna say, that's awesome !

#102 ·
And what about the chromed area around the fogs? That and the rear lights do creep me out.

#103 ·
I don't think the key fobs use bluetooth. And also, my Avalon doesn't open unless I'm something like 2 to 3 feet from the car. Push button is a fantastic feature and Accord should have one for the new model because key fob and push button start no longer seem to be 'luxurious' features.

#104 ·
I do not know who thought or was told that the transmitters use bluetooth, that is incorrect. Bluetooth was developed by Ericsson Telecom in 1994, and keyless ignition was developed by Mercedes-Benz in 1997. They each hold the individual patents on the respective technologies, so Mercedes did not steal or use any bluetooth technology from Ericsson.

The frequencies used in a keyless ignition transponder are much lower than Bluetooth frequencies. Which would explain why the battery in a car's keyless transponder can last years before needing replacement, and the battery in your cell phone needs to be recharged a day or two after using Bluetooth a lot.

The transponder for a car is a direct communication device, meaning the transponder and the car's ECM communicate directly with each other on the frequencies. Whereas Bluetooth is a communication sequence designed to carry information on it rather than directly.

#105 ·
I've been saying this for a while. A think there's been some people that seem to fear the technology and somehow decided it was bluetooth based which would enable thieves to open up garages and just drive away with the cars... I just say: seriously?

#106 ·
For the starters, Bluetooth drains your battery almost as fast as you can charge it. So, obviously car manufacturers will not use such a technology for key fobs.

#107 ·
I couldn't care less about push button start. It's a toy and gimmick. Now what I do miss from my Mazda is the Keyless start with the Autolock turned on(isn't by default) so when you walk away from the car the doors lock. God I miss keyless start! No more scratches around keyhole either.

#109 ·
Hello everyone, first post on the forum. Great information for a prospective Accord coupe buyer.

Looks like there will be a push button start! Never had one before, but should be a nice feature.
Nice find! I had missed that!

#110 ·
I hope it's true... I really want that feature now that I already have it.

#115 ·
Regardless, you can still stand 20 feet away from the Prius and someone else can pull the door handle and the door will unlock and open, because the fob is within the specified range for the door to open. Great technology for the lazy people that can't turn a key. Tell them to get off their ass and visit the gym. But the ricers think buttons are cool.

#118 ·
I don't really buy that she wasn't able to switch to neutral...

I though that if you push long enough on the push button it would still shot the engine off... Still I am not sure I would do that (or at least not around trafic), if you shot the engine off you might loose some/all of the power assist to the brakes and stearing...

#124 ·
push-button start confirmed. time to close this thread ;)

#126 ·
Oh boy, there we go again...
Get over it people!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.