Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

2013 Sedan CVT Fluild Level Check

97K views 69 replies 44 participants last post by  acutee 
#1 ·
Reivewed the owner's manual with regards checking various fluid levels. I noticed there is no "dip stick" to check the CVT fluild. Is the CVT fluild a lifetime fluid that doesn't require regular checking like oil, power steering, and/or windshield washer fluids levels?

#2 ·
I don't know about the CVT but the power steering is electric so there is no PS fluid to check.

#3 ·
Just because there's no dipstick it doesn't mean it's not serviceable ... Manual transmissions don't have dipsticks but they definitely need servicing...

They probably just didn't want to add that in the design... Maybe because cvt parts actually move around a bit? Idk..

Sent from my DROID RAZR using AutoGuide App

#4 ·
most of newer trannies are "sealed".
it probably done for less contamination. it also forces many people to go to dealer or large shop.
even "life time" tranny fluid must be replaced around 80-100K. they use disposable filters to, so it has to be replaced.
transmission case should have access plug some where on the side. it can be used to check level and for replacing fluid too.
you'll see check engine (tranny) light on if level will go lower than minimal.

#8 ·
Actually, looking in the manual, replacing the CVT transmission fluid is now one of the maintenance sub-items for the maintenance minder. So it looks like Honda wants us to replace the fluid at some point. I'm not sure around what mileage this will come up on the maintenance minder, but I'm hoping it won't be for a very long time.

#9 ·
I would expect the interval to be close to whatever they recommend for automatics.. Originally i think they used regular Honda atf back in the day on cvts but it was causing done start up shuddering, etc after a while so they put out a cvt specific fluid designed with the belts in mind .. I would imagine the friction modifiers break down over time as with anything else

Btw does the maintenance minder have a timer built in or does it only track mileage (ex. Assume it was 5yr/50000m, would it come on at 5 years with 30000? Jw if it mentions in your book)

#11 ·
I meant how the dimensions of the pulleys / effective "gear" ratio change back and forth lol.. Maybe they just didn't feel like it idk we're all just taking stabs...
another possibility is that they may just not have wanted people to just add random fluid through the dipstick whenever they feel like it when they think its low like some people seem to do

#12 ·
Who knows. BMW has had sealed transmissions for almost a decade. I don't know why. I don't feel the need to add or change fluids. I'm happy if the car can get along with what the manufacturer put in until it needs a service at the dealership (I'm probably in the minority). THis doesn't include oil changes, of course. We have a 2003 Accord and have never had to add any transmission fluid. I'm not sure if we've changed it either. See, I can benefit from a sealed unit. Its idiot proof. :)

#13 ·
I opened up the hood of one of them at the dealership...and I remember seeing a yellow colored dipstick that was coming out from the CVT tranny area. Um. Front right behind the radiator fans. My experience with the changing intervals so far has been every 25,000-30,000 miles (but this is on a 2010 Insight, so it might be slightly different) so it seems like regular intervals. Either way, the "3" should put up anytime from 20k-40k I would think.

#14 ·
There is a dipstick to check the CVT fluid level

There is a "dip stick" to check the CVT fluid level (HCF-2). 3.7 qts are required for a change. $10 per qt at your local Honda dealer. I am planning to change it around 25K miles just to be safe. The dip stick is located around front center and it looks like the previous generation one. There is also a circular yellow sticker saying you must use HCF-2 fluild. The CVT fluid drain bolt is directly below the dip stick. I will post my first oil change pictures when I do it at 4000-5000 miles. I only have 1000 miles on 2013 LX as of today.

Attachments

#17 ·
There is a "dip stick" to check the CVT fluid level (HCF-2). 3.7 qts are required for a change. $10 per qt at your local Honda dealer. I am planning to change it around 25K miles just to be safe. The dip stick is located around front center and it looks like the previous generation one. There is also a circular yellow sticker saying you must use HCF-2 fluild. The CVT fluid drain bolt is directly below the dip stick. I will post my first oil change pictures when I do it at 4000-5000 miles. I only have 1000 miles on 2013 LX as of today.
There is no dip stick on CVT. The thing with a yellow sticker is not it, it's a fill plug. If you pull it out you'll see a big hole but you cannot check the level through it.

#16 ·
My 2000 S430 had a lifetime sealed transmission. I changed fluid, filter, and pan gasket at 90K. Funny that a trans with lifetime fluid has serviceable parts. My 750 did not have an oil dipstick either. It was checked via the idrive display.

No clue on the CVT interval but there is a dipstick as mentioned. I will change according to the book.

#38 ·
Web site?

Here are service diagrams showing checking CVT fluid level in your 2013 Honda Accord.
Hi what web site did you get your pictures from? Can't fined any repair manuals or Alldatadyi yet I just bought a used 2013 with 12,000 miles on it so just doing some research and stocking up on oils, filters. I usually use AMSOIL for everything but I see they don't make anything to replace Honda's HCF-2 so I'll just buy a case online some ware. Come on summer Thanks, Phil

#22 ·
Neither. You can ask for printed copies at your dealership, which is what I did. The Honda parts guys are fairly nice and will try to help you out. I got the instructions on CVT fluid level check and V-belt replacement. Other DIY maintenances are very similar as far as I can tell. 2013 CVT fluild check was not as simple as I thought. Given the amount of work and accessibility, I will do visual check for leaks then do a fluid replacement at between 25-30K.

#29 ·
Hi all, I have a 13 Accord EXL and just wanted to mention that the maintenance minder told me to replace the transmission fluid (code 3) at approx. 49K. I'm taking it in this Friday to get it changed at a local Honda mechanic in my area.

If anyone has those documents in a more legible manner I would appreciate a copy. I'm willing to change it myself, but just need the instructions, wouldn't want to mess up my transmission.

#30 ·
1-Go to your dealership and purchase 4qts of CVT HCF-2 and a new crush washer (approx $45 total)
2-Pop your hood and remove the CVT dipstick plug. Jack up the front of your car and place a jack stands to support. Make sure the car is off and E-Brake is on
3-From under your car, take a 3/8ths ratchet and stick the end in the drain plug opening (painted blue in the pic below)
4-Turn the ratchet counter clock wise to break it loose. Remove the drain plug and let it drain for approx 5 min. Fluid will come out, so have a drain pan ready *having the engine warm before this will make it drain faster*
5-Remove old crush washer and install new unit. Install drain plug and tighten by hand until snug, then use 3/8th ratchet to to make an additional 1/4 turn making it secure
6-Lower the vehicle. Using a funnel, fill the transmission through the dipstick-plug opening. It will take approximately 3.75 quarts. Reinsert the dipstick-plug.

Congrats, you just saved yourself money and completed your trans service! This should not take you more than 20-30min total.

Attachments

#35 ·
Your right, only a plug. Assumed it was like every other honda dipstick. I only have 1500 miles on mine so far so I have never removed it. Corrected, tnx

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.