Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Best oil?

10K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Osiris_x11 
#1 ·
I have heard numerous recommendations for oils to use in these old accords (Mine is a 92 LX AT w/154k). So my question is: Which oil performs best?

I've been using valvoline semi-syn for high mileage and havent been impressed. Thought I'd ask for others opinions before I make a switch at the next service.

#4 ·
From one of the most knowledgeable people on here:

If it were my car I wouldn't be running that.

Castrol (as well as Valvoline) has had a recent history of not passing all of the specs they claim to "exceed".

Based on their product data sheets, the oil is slightly thicker than other brands at both hot and cold, and the colder it gets the thicker it is. Their 5w20 is actually much thicker at very, very cold temps than their 5w30.

It could be draining out of the vtc actuator more easily. It could be as simple as that. or not.

I'd be looking at the following oils:

Shell and their sister brands, Pennzoil and Quaker State. (both are owned by Shell)
The Shell oil is usually less expensive, but just as good.
Motorcraft Semi Syn 5w20 and other ConocoPhillips oils. It seems now that's who makes MC oil, as well as Honda's US factory fill and dealer oil.
Kendall is made by ConocoPhillips.

#5 ·
Its an older car. Which means the motor probably isn't in brand new condition. I work in an automotive shop and have tried all of the oils that are out there (basically). Best for higher mileage cars, DELO 15W-40.

http://asia.vtec.net/topics/oil1.html

This is a link that describes what oil Honda actually recommends in other countries for their cars.

"In the Malaysian market at least, Honda officially markets two grades of engine oil. The "Honda Engine Oil" is a semi-synthetic 15W-40 oil which is recommended for all Honda engines, including the super high spec'ed DOHC VTEC and DOHC iVTEC versions."

#21 ·
What motor-oil do I use? Whatever is on sale (namely, cash-rebate making it free)! :D

Oh yea, my regimen:

- synthetic for the Accord (0W20/5W20) w/ ~30k miles, changed @ MMC ~5% (usually ~7.5k+ miles) along w/ a high-quality filter (OEM/Filtech, Bosch Premium, PurulatorOne, Napa, Beck/Arnley)

- synthetic for the Acura (5W30/10W30) w/ ~75k miles, changed @ ~7.5k miles along w/ an original tall-filter (OEM tall-filter, Napa tall-filter, Beck/Arnley)

- dino'juice for the 'ute (5W40/10W40) w/ ~115k miles, changed @ ~3,750 miles along w/ a quality filter (Napa, Beck Arnley, Fram ToughGuard)

For the synthetics that I've used: Mobil-One, Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, G-Oil.

For the dino'juice that I've used: quality, high-mileage/durability blend.

FWIW, a clean air-filter is equally as important as your engine-oil. . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.