Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

Will it get push button start?

37K views 125 replies 40 participants last post by  TheGandalf 
#1 ·
Will Honda finally step up and add push-button start? Toyota's have 'em on the comparable Camry. My current Nissan Maxima has it. You can even get it on a Nissan Sentra!

I really like the Accord and will probably be downgrading from the Maxima and would definitely consider the new coupe (now that it has more techy toys) if it has the push-button.

It's just not for premium cars anymore - come'on Honda!

#2 ·
My wife's Sentra has the fob which she keeps in her purse, or I keep in my pocket. Then I just turn the key spot and it starts. It's a 2008! I almost got a Maxima or Altima Coupe, just for that, but their disadvantages were too great to get them just for it. I do wish Honda would come up with something similar.

#3 ·
I miss several things from my Mazdaspeed 6, AWD and a 6-speed stick shift being the most important. But I was amazed at how long it took us to get used to a key again. The Mazda had keyless start system. Keep the key fob in your pocket, walk up to the door, unlock it with the button on the handle and get in a turn the fake key. When getting out, just turn the car off, and walk away from car, doors locked when it lost contact with the key fob at a certain distance. It was impossible to lock the keys in the car too.

That Mazda was a 2006 and it also had Xenon headlights, better heated seats ( top and bottom both seats) even simple things like auto-down on ALL the windows - Honda can't even get that right.

Since I'm complaining :) Can we finally get a handle on the trunk lid for opening the trunk. You do not understand how annoying it is to have to reach down and open the trunk from the floor when you have a serious injury. Not to mention the sand/snow and water that gets into it.

#13 ·
I mentioned the Camry as a comparison to the Accord. I would NEVER buy a Toyota. In my opinion they are so bland and boring. It's is however a comparable car to the Accord.
Regarding the Maxima - the finish and materials are so much nicer than any Honda I've ever seen. Not sure where the comparison came from on that saying its terrible... it's the same interior as the G37 (almost identical with a few small changes that make it "nissan" vs. "infiniti") which receives continuous raves from auto reviewers.

-DANIEL- I agree not much point to keyless if you still have to turn a "fake" key. I dont know what cars have that vs the actual push button start. I love keeping my keys in my laptop bag.. getting into my car and pushing that "START" button (no fake turning of a fake key). Push it again to turn it off. The hard part is having to take the keys out to open the door to my house. lol. (I found a nice keyless entry system though that will fix that problem! only problem is it's $250!)

#16 ·
The new Sonata has one, leave my keys in my pocket, never look back, and whoever said it before said it best, the annoying part now is taking them out to open the house door :lmao:

Worth every penny, esp when carrying thing etc, in most cars now a days you can just press the handle or the button on the handle to lock/unlock the doors, the other advantage to real keyless entry/push button start

#18 ·
Guys,
I also drove the new Altima and the interior is just good enough for its class!
The interior for the Camry does feel somewhat cheap but its alright for the price Toyota is selling it for. With that kind of pricing Toyota is now offering some new standard options and a "bulletproof" car which will last you down the road, so its justifiable I guess? The way Camry drives, handles, and feels is way different then how our Accord's are so I don't see myself buying one but I would buy their truck's/suv's(Tundra/Land Cruiser)

@Richnator
I drove the new Sonata and I would definitely take my 7th gen over it, Imho.

#19 ·
hummmmm, I thought we were talking about the Hondas not having push button start?

the S2000's have it....why doesn't someone out there figure a way to mod that unit? my wifes Prius has is......surely one from a Honda can be made to work on another Honda?

#25 ·
The ignition in the S2K was a "quasi" pushbutton start.

You still had the key which you had to remove from your pocket, insert into the key hole, and turn to acc mode. Then you push the button to actually ignite the engine.

Not the same thing as true push button start.

#22 ·
yeah, Honda is behind in a lot of ways. No denying that. But I don't want my Honda's to look anything like any of the Hyundai's which I find to be overstyled if that's a word.

A turbo'd 4 banger beating a V6 is nothing new. My Mazdaspeed 6 would EAT the V6 sedan alive and even the coupe. On the highway it wasn't even close. Turbo'd fours are the future it seems. But I'd certainly miss that V6 sound / smoothness.

#24 ·
Its funny you mention the styling, owning a number of Hondas I have never had anyone really stare or come up to me and comment on my car, 2 weeks of owning the Sonata 2.0T Black w/Black Tints and ive had 5 people already ask me about it and tell me you can't even compare the looks of an Accord Sedan to this, one saying for the price point there isn't a better looking car out (granted the midnight black is a stunner with tints - my first black car too)

I have to agree at this point i find my own self staring at the car saying its pretty dam sexy - to which i dont think i can ever recall doing that with my Hondas (to each its own i guess, and def. some colors make all the difference!) Its a nice balance of aggressive, sporty and luxurious

Dont get me wrong i loved my Hondas but the styling is turning alot of people off these days - dated to say the least

#23 ·
It certainly would be nice to have keyless entry with push button start. At the same time, it's no big deal if I don't ever have that feature because I don't have flesh eating zombies chasing after me.

#27 ·
I definitely don't agree with above, Accord looks much more sporty and aggressive then a Sonata or in fact any Hyundai out there. I had people numerous times stare and give me good comments till this very day. After driving brand new Sonata several times(work related) good luck trying to convince me on buying one because Hyundai is no where near what a Honda is. People staring at Sonata? :lmao: in my work nobody would give it a second look.

*Opinions vary person to person*

#28 ·
Your line of Work? Honda Tech?!? :lmao:

Pictures are really worth a thousand words ... no offense to my Honda lovers but it really does look like a rental car these days ... :thumbsdow

Attachments

#33 ·
I had my Honda parked next to a Sonata yesterday. People were looking closely at the Sonata. The Accord seemed invisible to them. Sonata owner was being asked how he liked the car - I was ignored. But then I live in the real world.

#36 ·
Sonata may not be everybody's cup of tea, but it definitely has more visual presence than the Accord sedan. I was at McDonald's earlier today and parked next to each other were an Accord EX-L and a Kia Optima LX (the base trim level) the Optima, even in base trim, has it all over the Accord in presence and looks IMO. The Accord looks dated because it IS dated....outside of the current Altima and Fusion, the Accord is the oldest car left in the class.
IMO Hyundai Sonata is trying to be too "flashy". Don't understand that large body silhouette for the climate control, unnecessary. I look for build quality/materials, you can easily add different wheels/suspension to make any car more "sporty or classy".

On another note, IMO the "Hyundai" name is still not respected. As I am currently in the market for a vehicle and ask friends/family/co-workers about "Hyundai" and I never hear positive remarks. I usually receive comments like "I wouldn't get caught driving a Hyundai".

But yes, Honda is vastly outdated tech wise, the Acura lineup is more up to par as of recent.

#37 ·
IMO Hyundai Sonata is trying to be too "flashy". Don't understand that large body silhouette for the climate control, unnecessary. I look for build quality/materials, you can easily add different wheels/suspension to make any car more "sporty or classy".
Many cars have unnecessary and poorly planned controls. The centre stack of the 8th gen Accord is an unnecessary and overly complicated mess of buttons IMO. My point is that something you find unnecessary may appeal to others.

On another note, IMO the "Hyundai" name is still not respected.
Who cares? Would you refuse to own a car because the brand is not respected by others? In other words, would it bother you if you bought a Hyundai that wasn't respected by your family/friends? And if the answer is "yes" I'd have to ask why you feel the need to have others respect your car.

As I am currently in the market for a vehicle and ask friends/family/co-workers about "Hyundai" and I never hear positive remarks. I usually receive comments like "I wouldn't get caught driving a Hyundai".

I'm curious - would you choose not to consider a Hyundai because of comments from from your friends/family or would you look at the Hyundai objectively and decide whether or not you like the car? In other words, would you let closed-minded comments such as "I wouldn't get caught driving a Hyundai" from friends/family deter you from looking at the car?

#42 ·
I am pretty sure the new accord ail have an electric steering too... And the CVT.... the rest of the car better deliver then!

#54 ·
It may not compute but its all down to personal preference. It's like your dad saying he prefers the old school cars over the new ones. The reason: Just because... There isn;t a real one. It might not "compute" but it's what that person wants.

#56 ·
I want 6 manual in EXL leather trim on V6 and I4 models.
I want to have the collision avoidance system in our accord like in JDM Inspire.

Honda are you listening?
You cannot bite the hand that feeds.
Lay off accord so you can sell acura TL and TSX for that push button start!!

#69 ·
The 8th Gen Accord is an ugly POS, and I am sure the 9th Gen will be just as hideous to look at. There are far better looking cars on the market and I think it is funny that you guys are now just realizing that the Accord is Honda's bastard-child that is far behind in features, even compared to other Honda models. Look how long it took for the Accord to get USB when other Honda models had it for years.

Push-button start...the dumbing down of society...because turning a key is just so hard. Think how easy it is for your car to be stolen out of your garage, or in your driveway next to the house. If your house has an attached garage, or the driveway is right next to the house, and the keys are on the other side of the wall (bedroom or kitchen counter next to the garage or driveway), it is very easy for someone to steal the car because the key is in such close proximity that a thief can walk up to the car (or gain access to your garage), pull the door handle and it will open because the keys are still within 25 feet of the car (thanks to the range of Bluetooth). The thief pushes the start button and drives away and you wouldn't even know it. Toyota even warns you of this fact. Thieves can even hack keyless entry, duplicating the signals, and with a push button start, drive away in the car. However, with a physical key, hacking the keyless entry still won't allow them to steal the car. Without signs of forced entry, you could have issues with your insurance claim trying to prove that someone else stole your car. So I would take a real key over a start button. If you are too lazy to put a key in the ignition and turn it, get your ass to the gym.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/aut...-systems-vulnerable-to-high-tech-car-thieves/

#70 ·
I really don't get people like you. I would have expected better of someone with 3000+ posts...

You are totally untitled to your opinions. And thanks for bringing some factoids to the discussion. You do realize that keyless push start systems ARE becoming the norm right?

You post became worthless when you decided to turn it into a rant. Attacking people is never a good way to further an opinion.

#75 ·
Our M35 and Murano work exactly the same way: have to be very close in order for doors to unlock, and inside with the fob to start the car. I have experienced only one downside to the IntelliKey.

When we go out to dinner or an event with friends, my wife typically wears something that is not condusive to having pockets or carrying a fob on her (think nice and tight :) ). She cannot leave her pocketbook in the trunk with her fob in it. The doors refuse to lock (just beeps) and the trunk won't close (just refuses to latch). Wish there was a way to leave a fob in the car and still lock it up. I understand Nissan not wanting the fobs locked in the car, but it is annoying nonetheless.

And to those that think push-to-start is silly/stooooopid/lazy or what have you, it's like our rear-view cameras, navs, park assists, hard drive music systems, air-conditioned seats, V6 engines, HID's and other great new tech... once we've had 'em, never gonna consider another vehicle (or manufacturer) without 'em.

To sum up: IntelliKey rocks!:thmsup:

#76 ·
Push start is a neat ideal but I prefer a key. Like they say if it isnt broke dont fix it. My one worry is what if that system breaks somehow and you cant start your car? Even with my 2000 accord I dont like the idea of that little chip in the key. Call me old fashion and I know times are changing. Like I said its a neat idea.

#78 ·
There are actually fewer parts that can go wrong in a push button ignition system than a key and tumbler socket ignition. It's actually a less complicated way of performing the same operation. But just as secure.

#79 ·
Didn't some early models so equipped have a failsafe (some place to actually stick a back up key to do the deed in case something fails? I am pretty sure I saw something like this on a 2006 mazes cx9 and some 2002 Renaults in France (this was the first time I ever saw a car with push start, but in these you still had to stick the card in a slot in the dash)

#80 ·
The Infiniti intelligent key fob can be inserted into a slot near the steering column should its battery die. There is a physical key inside the fob that can bu used to unlock the driver`s door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.