Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

3 Lights Turned On at Same Time!!

26K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  gentledental4u 
#1 ·
I had my 08 Accord 4cyl (21k miles) sitting in my driveway for 2-3 months without driving it. I started driving it again last month and after about 20 miles, 3 lights (check engine, VSA, and "!") came on at the same time and the engine started idling roughly at 1.5k RPM, even at a complete stop. When I take my foot off the gas and just let it coast, the high idle causes the car to go faster than normal. Sometimes when I start the engine, it would turn on and then stall immediately.

I disconnected the battery and the lights turned off and the car drove normally for another 20-30 miles before the same thing happened again. This happened 2 more times and I disconnected the battery after each time it happened. Since the last time I had to do this, I have put about 200 miles on the car and the lights never came back on and drove without problems.

I never went to get the codes checked but I am wondering what this problem could have been. Has anybody else experienced this? Do you think the problem will come back?

Picture of the problem:

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you try pressing the VSA button (located on the left below the steering wheel) to turn the VSA back on? Hold it down for a few seconds.

The "!" is the TPMS light which means your tire pressure is low. Did you try pumping air back into the tires?

As for the Check Engine Light, hopefully someone else can chime in.

#3 ·
do u hav sprintbooster or something like that? if so check the connectors, mine was not plugged in all the way, and wouldnt let me shift up a gear. engine light was on and jerked hard. btw ur vsa is automagicly lock on until u fill ur tires up. probly didnt help ya but had to try.

#4 ·
Yea ive had the same problem, your car may need the new software update, there was a TSB on this a while back. After i got the update never had an issue since. Only my car was reving high and when i shifted from drive to park or reverse there was a hard clunking noise. Also when i drove with the lights on i could have my foot to the floor and it wouldn't go any faster lol. Goodluck!

#7 ·
Just take it to the stealership, I don't think they will charge you for this.

#8 ·
I have had this problem on my '08 i4 as well! Except my VSA and ! light only come on when my car rpm needle is dancing between 1,500-2,000. although my check engine light stays on and my rpms stay high. Tire pressure is normal in all 4 tires. Let me know your solution!

#9 ·
Thanks. I had no idea about this software problem. Looks like they sent out a safety recall notice last Summer but I never got it. I went to the dealership and they gave me two software updates for free. The first one addresses the automatic transmission problem and the other was for a fuel injection/VTC timing problem. Hopefully this will fix the problem I experienced.

I disconnected the battery whenever the problem came back and the problem hasn't come back in the 200-300 miles I've driven since then. Also you might want to get those software updates from the dealership too :)

#12 ·
When the lights go on do you lose a bit of engine power too? Doesn't want to rev over 4 grand? This happened on my 2.4l CRV, low power, erratic idle and 3 lights on at the same time, the lights went out before I got to the dealer and showed no codes. It did it twice then it was good for almost a year, then just the Two lights came on and not the check engine light...ran fine but lost abs and vsa operation. Was a defective abs/vsa control module, a 1500 dollar part but warranty covered it.

#14 ·
I didn't notice a loss of power because I was also afraid of pushing it too hard. I probably stayed below 3.5k. I did experience the erratic idle though. The problem is gone for now but I'm hoping I hadn't purchased a lemon since my warranty has expired.

#18 ·
MIL after low battery or Jumpstart

TSB 09-091 will fix the issue, though it is specific to the Firmware at the time of issuance. Any firmware update dated after will correct this issue.

Since many do not request periodical updates with latest firmwares, on this fix may also fix other symptoms that have yet to come up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.