Drive Accord Honda Forums banner

how many miles do Honda's go for untill it breaks down?

105K views 61 replies 34 participants last post by  dragon129 
#1 ·
just curious, i have a 05 accord lx 3.0 v6 coupe. picked up the car with 130k miles on it for 6k. 2 years later, i have 150k miles on it now. car runs soo smoothly, no noises from the engine, no tranny problems, no nothing wrong with the car. i change all the fluids on time ( mobile oil / k&n oil filter, etc ), get a tune up on time, when i do order parts for brakes, etc, i get top quality parts. so how many miles you guys think honda's last for if you take really good care of the car like i do ?

#6 ·
If it's an auto, then that's the first thing to go out, and the only thing, besides the engine. Kept up with maintence J series V6 is 300-400k motor all day, my brother has 2003 CL Type S 6-speed with 368k miles, original motor and trans.
The 2003 CL Type-S 6-spd was the car I was looking for 5 years ago, could not find one good one over the 6 months I tried, finally gave up and got my 05' Accord Coupe V6 6-spd, best car buying decision I've made.

#3 ·
My '94 I4 went 285k and I traded it in because the body was falling apart. The engine was not using oil. Our '01 met an early demise when it was totaled at 86k. Our 99 is in someone else's hands and was at 176k at last check. '04 is at 132k. Daughter's '07 Civic is at 90k. My dealer service manager claims he "routinely" sees Hondas in for their 360k service.

You've just completed break-in.

#4 ·
Yeah, I say as long as you dont have a lemon, 300,000 miles is not unheard of at all out of the engine. Automatics are a mixed bag. I wouldnt be surprised to see 200,000 out of auto's. My wifes' Mazda is at 152,000 on an auto and if Ford can make one last that long, I know Honda should have no trouble. :D

#5 ·
thanks for the info guys, and yes my car is an auto

#15 ·
myexperience with Accord, as with all my Hondas, has been great. my first Accord, an 88 LXI Coupe, had just under 300K on it when I sold it to a friend of mine. as far as I know, its still going. my second Accord, a 91 EX Coupe, had 180K on it when I bought it and I think somewhere around 240K when I sold it.

with all of my Hondas I've kept the oil changes done every 3K (non synthetic on the 88 and 91'sl) and every 7500 with my current one using Mobil 1 Synthetic. I have all my 'major' services done (multiples of 30K) and of course, get the timing belt changed when required. they've all run great and have NEVER broken down. :thmsup:

my current Coupe isn't even broken in yet....with only 26K showing on the odometer. :)

#21 ·
Still going strong

My 2007 Honda has 243,000 miles on it, original motor, and automatic transmission. No issues so far. Haven't even had to change the timing chain yet. Oil change every 10,000 miles with quality synthetic oil. Maintenance mostly completed on time, little late getting the transmission fluid replaced by 40K miles. When finally flushed transmission, it really didn't look that dirty. Brake lines flushed once so far. Belts all still look like new! Replaced the factory head lights due to old ones getting cloudy for about $200 including labor. Body still looks to be in good condition. Will need 2nd set of front brakes and possibly rotors at 250,000 mile service. 2 sets of brakes and rotors in 243, 000 miles isn't bad- and I drive fast and use those brakes a lot. Drum brakes on back are original and apparently never wear out.... Getting new wheel covers as my original ugly ones that came on the car are really beat up now. Touched up the paint over some rock hits on the hood of my car myself. Just to keep any rust at bay...
Hoping to see 350,000 at least....

#29 ·
My 2007 Honda has 243,000 miles on it, original motor, and automatic transmission. No issues so far. Haven't even had to change the timing chain yet. Oil change every 10,000 miles with quality synthetic oil. Maintenance mostly completed on time, little late getting the transmission fluid replaced by 40K miles. When finally flushed transmission, it really didn't look that dirty. Brake lines flushed once so far. Belts all still look like new! Replaced the factory head lights due to old ones getting cloudy for about $200 including labor. Body still looks to be in good condition. Will need 2nd set of front brakes and possibly rotors at 250,000 mile service. 2 sets of brakes and rotors in 243, 000 miles isn't bad- and I drive fast and use those brakes a lot. Drum brakes on back are original and apparently never wear out.... Getting new wheel covers as my original ugly ones that came on the car are really beat up now. Touched up the paint over some rock hits on the hood of my car myself. Just to keep any rust at bay...
Hoping to see 350,000 at least....
Remember, with no pictures, it didn't happen.

#30 ·
Yessir! His son has been driving it since right after that pic was taken back in 2012 :thmsup: It's probably now close to 350-375k and Paul (my buddy) had purchased a brand new 2013 Accord Sport sedan at the time he gave the '06 to his kiddo. As far as I know, it's still on the road and driving strong!

Reactions: salcuta
#24 ·
Not mine, but another member's. This was almost three years ago. Wonder how much he has now...

#31 ·
Parents sold their 98 accord about 5 years back with 232 on the clock. i4 with an automatic, had one transmission rebuild in the high 100's. Bodywork was the only thing wrong with the car, chicago winters don't treat it well.

Mine is at 152k and counting, the only thing I can see coming up that will give me issue is the clutch since I believe it's original. Hoping to get 5-10yr out of it, I just passed one year of ownership not too long ago.

#32 ·
Rough estimate is 1/2 of forever, if properly maintained.

#33 ·
well my Transmission ended up failing even after the 3x3 drain and fill and keeping a schedule for routine changes

the previous owner kept meticulous carfax reports too besides any Transmission fluid changes

my biggest fear is having to put in a 3rd Transmission at which point i would come to a cross road

#34 ·
well my Transmission ended up failing even after the 3x3 drain and fill and keeping a schedule for routine changes

the previous owner kept meticulous carfax reports too besides any Transmission fluid changes
Sounds like you bought the car with bad tranny maintenance in it's history. Not sure how much routine maintenance you can get from Carfax reports. In my case, you wouldn't find a single thing done on Carfax. Why not actual receipts?

At what mileage did you perform a 3x3 and what was your routine drain schedule?

#37 · (Edited)
I purchased my Accord [4CYL SE] new in 2007 and have changed the transmission fluid a total of three times, at:

123k miles, April 2010
200k miles, October 2012
270k miles, August 2014

I am now at 327k and the transmission continues to function flawlessly, but perhaps I am just lucky. Still, I would hate to have to change the ATF fluid every 10k miles with the number of miles I put on! That would be about 3 times per year.

FWIW, the Honda recommended ATF change is at 120k or 6 years and then every 90k miles or 5 years.

Not trying to re-start the ATF change interval debate :), just sharing my personal experience for another data point...

#38 ·
I purchased my Accord new in 2007 and have changed the transmission fluid a total of three times, at:

123k miles, April 2010
200k miles, October 2012
270k miles, August 2014

I am now at 327k and the transmission continues to function flawlessly, but perhaps I am just lucky. Still, I would hate to have to change the ATF fluid every 10k miles with the number of miles I put on! That would be about 3 times per year.

FWIW, the Honda recommended ATF change is at 120k or 6 years and then every 90k miles or 5 years.

Not trying to re-start the ATF change interval debate :), just sharing my personal experience for another data point...
4 or 6 cyl?

#40 ·
To answer OP's original question. You didn't even specify which model. There are so many variables that can affect the outcome, that it really cannot be answered. The main thing is how well it's maintained. That determines longevity more than anything else. But you do have blind luck, what day it was made at the factory, etc.

#43 ·
I don't have any pictures for proof but my Honda garage head technician showed me THE car one day while I was in the shop (yes, my dealer and service manager are customer friendly). It was a 2003 I4 Accord with an auto tranny with over 500K miles on it and had only regular service plus one starter and two alternators. When I was last in the dealership, I asked if the car was still going strong and they said that it had died bravely when it hit a deer. The owner wanted to keep it going but the insurance company "totaled" it and the owner couldn't afford a rebuild. It was a sad day for everyone in there. I was sad because it was a twin to my wife's Accord which only has 126K trouble-free miles.

#44 ·
Hey guys I have a 06 accord ExL 3.0 V-tech 6spd manual with 143,××× running like a champ! Love this car fully loaded heated leather seats still working smoothly through the cold winters and AC frosting through the summers. Of course minor expenses on maintaining it with the routinely fluids and a tune up. The trans, the clutch and the motor are running smooth as ever i plan i driving this to the 300,××× easily! Love this car.

#45 ·
In Canada (for e.g. Ontario), you come across more i4 than V6 models but I'd kinda like a V6.

The OP paid $6K but that was about 4-5 yrs ago.... I find that the vehicles around 130 - 150K km are around $6K, give or take. I thought it was slightly above book value. Anyone know?

I figured that's the preferred mileage I should consider (first) but of course, the overall condition and maintenance history (carfax/carproof & receipts/proof of maintenance - calling nearby Honda dealers?). I think 300,xxx is easily attained but you need to keep up recommended maintenance. I found a checklist for recommended V6 timing belt and I believe that's 105K miles or 168K km (correct?). If they have no proof of timing belt change and it's around 150 - 170K km, then you have to factor that in as a cost you'll need to spend if you buy the car?

The i4 Accords have the dreaded oil burning/consumption issue, right? More than likely, it'll have that issue?

I'd like a V6 but just don't come across them very often and I'm not at my preferred budget. A ton of cars being sold between 170 - 200K km but I prefer to get one less than that. I know 300K km is easily doable but still.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.