Hot Wire Accord? [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Hot Wire Accord?

Accordlover
06-16-2007, 10:23 AM
Hi everyone, I just bought a fixer upper from someone who purchased a theft recovered 87' Accord from a police impound auction for $100 bucks, but I need to know how to hot wire it? The ignition had been torn apart to the section that you can just turn a screwdriver and make it work, but apparently they managed to brake that as well. So tell me, how can I fire her up?

Thanks everyone.

Foreign_Wide
06-16-2007, 12:22 PM
You probably would need to power the ignition coil with a jumper wire, and a switch or just a wire totivate the starter

I would create a 12 gage wire with a solderless forked end to slip into the small terminal on the starter, long enough to reach the positive on the battery.

I would create a similar wire to run from the + on the coil to the battery.

To start the car, attach the new coil wire to the positive on the battery. Now touch the wire from the starter to the positive on the battery to crank the engine while you work the throttle.

You'll figure the rest out.

majky
06-16-2007, 12:32 PM
There should be the following wires going to the ignition harness:
White (+12V) and/or White with black stripe (+12V)
Black with white stripe (starter wire)
Black with yellow stripe (Ignition wire)
Yellow (Accessory) and/or Blue with white stripe (Accessory)

You want to permanently connect the +12V wire with ignition and accessory wires - this will work the same as turning the key to position II.
Then if you connect the starter wire to the +12V the engine should turn over and start (hopefully).

Accordlover
06-16-2007, 01:22 PM
Alright, so disconnect battery, cut all 4 wires, cut back the rubber shields connect them like you said, and leave the starter wires apart so I can put them together like you said above? Reconnect battery, touch the starter wires together and hopefully some crank-age?

majky
06-16-2007, 01:37 PM
That should do :yes:

Accordlover
06-16-2007, 02:58 PM
Forgot to ask!

How do I turn it off?

By Disconnecting the accessory wire?

Foreign_Wide
06-16-2007, 03:06 PM
I am not a big fan of cutting factory wires.

How about this scenario

BUY an ignition switch and simply plug it in.

You are going to have to buy one anyway, may as well do it now without butchering the wiring

dohcivtec
06-16-2007, 03:14 PM
:worthless

stiller fan
06-16-2007, 03:32 PM
:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:

:lmao: :naughty:

majky
06-16-2007, 03:34 PM
:worthless
Yes! :yes::yes::yes:

Forgot to ask!

How do I turn it off?

By Disconnecting the accessory wire?

You should disconnect all wires when shutting it off. If you just disconnect the accessory wires the engine will still run :) Disconnecting the ignition wire will shut the engine off.

Foreign_Wide
06-16-2007, 04:06 PM
If you simply purchased and installed the switch, disconnecting anything wouldn't be a problem

mnkyman
06-16-2007, 04:06 PM
very nice pick-up...how much did u end up paying the guy who bought it at the auction?

Accordlover
06-16-2007, 04:20 PM
If you simply purchased and installed the switch, disconnecting anything wouldn't be a problem

I'm only doing this to get it from down the street to my driveway. The shop where I work has ordered the part, but I won't see it until monday afternoon.

And for all you PICS PICS PICS people, I'm going to go give you some right now. So hold your panties! :lmao:

Accordlover
06-16-2007, 04:41 PM
Okay here you go. $100 cash, 110k and she's mine.

Not much to see, but I'm having it repainted (some of the guys at the shop are going to show me how) before school starts again.
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/Accordlover_2006/P6170006.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/Accordlover_2006/P6170005.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/Accordlover_2006/P6170004.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/Accordlover_2006/P6170003.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/Accordlover_2006/P6170002.jpg
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r74/Accordlover_2006/P6170001.jpg

Accordlover
06-16-2007, 04:42 PM
A few leaks as you can see, but everything else is fine. :)

Accordlover
06-16-2007, 04:53 PM
What is this place?

Everyone needs pics and then I post them up and get no reply? :lmao:

I kid. I kid...

Accordlover
06-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Well sine the mood is so calm, I might as well give a quick rundown of my plans for the little car.

It needs belts, seals, water pump, fluids changed, etc. ASAP so I'll get that taken care of after the new ignition switch and battery are in. It also needs tires, and I'm replacing the mismatching hubcaps with some from a 98 Civic EX Sedan that I found in the shop. My final plan is to take the entire interior out (excluding the dash and rear shelf) clean all the seats, carpet, and replace the speakers and stereo (they cut the wires to the stereo so I'm going to wire a 98+ harness and install a CD Player from a 01' Accord - also found this around the shop!) Lastly, it needs a paint job, and I thought about doing it the new blue that is on the 2003-2005 Accords (Eternal Blue Pearl? - The color Princess has.) or just doing it white. Not sure! :dunno: But working at an auto shop lately has been great. I'm learning a few things here and there, seeing common issues, and I'll also be learning how to paint with the gun soon, so I'll save a bunch on painting my car; and if I suck at it I can pay one of the tech's to do it for me on the side I'm sure. The only tear is in the drivers seat, so that's cool, and I'd like to get the windows tinted at one point.

When the carb shows issues (if not immediately...) I'm going to replace it with a non-Honda Carburetor. The ones on the older cars were just awful, they needed adjustment al the time, I remember this being a major fault of my mothers previous '86.

The best part about this is that not only are a lot of parts easily accessible at my workplace, but I get wholesale pricing on real OEM Honda Parts, and my labor cost is only $38.95 an hour vs. $79.98 an hour for reg. customers. Plus, there are Honda service manuals EVERYWHERE!

Accordlover
06-16-2007, 05:26 PM
One more thing!

I have to replace the headlights (also have these at the shop) the people who vandalized it took them out. :( Various trim parts around the exterior need replacing as well.

stiller fan
06-16-2007, 05:29 PM
What is this place?

Everyone needs pics and then I post them up and get no reply? :lmao:

I kid. I kid...

can't see them (at work, and you know about the laptop thing).... :(

alpha
06-16-2007, 06:53 PM
sweet! it's gonna look pretty nice all fixed up.. i miss my dad's third gen..

it'll also be a pretty fun project.. keep us updated on its progress, i'd love to hear about it..

you should retro the headlights! :-)

majky
06-16-2007, 07:21 PM
I was really hoping for some pictures of cut-up wires all twisted together and sparks flying with the car running :) :nuts:

Seriously though, nice project car you got there, and I absolutely love that blue color (the Eternal Blue that is). It will look great once cleaned and painted.
Good luck! :thmsup:

stiller fan
06-16-2007, 07:29 PM
YOUTUBE for tha win!!!! :banana: :lmao: :nuts:

Accordlover
06-16-2007, 07:36 PM
I absolutely love that blue color (the Eternal Blue that is). It will look great once cleaned and painted.
Good luck! :thmsup:

I really like it as well, and since the car is already blue I can somewhat take a shortcut by simply painting the exterior of the car, and not worry much about how the engine compartment and door jambs are a totally different color. The Body is almost perfectly straight, there's a dent in the rear quarter panel but that's something that can be knocked out after stripping the trunk. I'm not afraid to invest a good $1500-$2000 into it. The Fair private party as of now is 1150 so I would not be surprised if I had no trouble finding a buyer later on that would appreciate the misc. changes, and the condition. Just being able to see what it looked like now and then will be something out of this world. I'm pretty excited.

As for the hot wiring, I decided against it. So once the people who are in the way of me being able to get a tow truck in there call me (I left a note on their car) I'll ask them when their car won't be in the way so I can use the shops 24hr wrecker to get the car towed to the shop.

I also found out that I can still get keys remade for this car, even though it's almost 21 years old. Creds to Honda for having a good system like that; all I need is the VIN and a proof of ownership. I also was gong through a shop manual and I can take the current lock assembly for the ignition and attach it to the new one and still only have to use one key for the whole car. Very happy about that.

Accordlover
06-16-2007, 07:36 PM
YOUTUBE for tha win!!!! :banana: :lmao: :nuts:

Hm? :dunno:

Accordlover
06-16-2007, 07:42 PM
you should retro the headlights! :-)

It has crossed my mind before, but seeing as the current headlights are so easy to steal I'm not sure I want to spend extra money on it. So far I have a monthly budget of about $600 to spend on this car, and I don't plan on working on it for more than 4 months. I'd like to at least get it running and looking alright. The extras can come along down the road. :yes:

Ultimately I'd like to keep both of my Accords for a good while (Hm... forever? :lmao: ), however I may have to store them when I go off to college, the day I have to drain my fluids and park my babies in a storage room will be a hard day! :(

Foreign_Wide
06-16-2007, 08:03 PM
What a neat project car! Should be nice!

Accordlover
06-16-2007, 08:04 PM
What a neat project car! Should be nice!

Thanks!