Car jerking at 40-50 mph [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Car jerking at 40-50 mph

benjamming
08-31-2004, 01:25 PM
The car has started jerking around 40-50 mph my wife said the a few weeks ago. It happened to me a couple weeks ago. It happened to her again yesterday. The car will jerk real bad when driving at a steady speed and also when slightly accelerating. No redline, just a steady acceleration. Flat, hill, doesn't matter. My wife said that if she lets off the gas completely then pushes the gas, it will be fine. This could be coincidence in timing though. The car has ~ 27k miles. 2002 EX V6. I changed the ATF with Z1 at ~ 21k miles. The throttle body was cleaned under 10k miles.

Any ideas?

Dave I
08-31-2004, 01:45 PM
That sounds a lot like the transmission problem (and subsequent recall) that affected the '02 MDX that I recently sold. It's probably worth a trip to the dealership regardless of whether it's fuel/electrical/transmission related.

princess
08-31-2004, 02:08 PM
Got this from a "service news": (I think it may be just for the 4 cyl. though)

If your customer complains of slippage, flare, or
hard upshifting, the problem may be a faulty A/T
clutch pressure control solenoid A/B assembly.
These solenoids control fluid pressure to the
clutches for smooth shifting.
To fix this problem, first make sure the ATF is
clean and at the proper level. Refill with Honda
ATF-Z1 as needed. Then install a known-good
solenoid assembly, and test-drive the vehicle. If
shifting gets better, order a new solenoid
assembly. If there’s no improvement, continue
with normal troubleshooting.

I'll ask my prince later.....it sounds like torque converter going in & out to me.

benjamming
08-31-2004, 03:16 PM
Torque convertor was my thought as well anytime I hear of problem around 45 mph. No check engine light. Could there be a code set for this problem w/o light? I'll go to Advance Auto Parts tonight & have them pull the codes anyway. The check engine light has never been on when it's not supposed to be.

What is A/B assembly?

princess
08-31-2004, 03:54 PM
the area of the clutch pressure control solenoid. I'll see if I can get the picture up.

princess
08-31-2004, 04:27 PM
see if this works.....

princess
08-31-2004, 04:30 PM
last try....

res-pilot
08-31-2004, 04:49 PM
I think your problem is like Jerking, hesitating and vibrate, is the EGR Valve. Trust me, 8 out of 10 Honda V6 having the same problem. There TSB for that. For Honda Pilot TSB is 04-029. Just got mine done today on the Pilot.

benjamming
08-31-2004, 05:51 PM
No codes are stored. According to SB 99-085, the MIL must be lit & a DTC must be stored.

But, TSB 00-038 sounds like my problem but I can't replicate the problem on cue. I don't like the idea of the torque converter being replaced - it's a major job with lots of opportunities to mess up, but if it's required to fix then so be it. I don't know.

princess
08-31-2004, 06:13 PM
My gut says it's NOT the tranny, but I haven't talked to him yet....if it's the torque converter & your VIN# is on the list, then they may be able to reproduce it at the dealer....

If it IS the EGR, then it's likely just blocked.

Here's some EGR info:

res-pilot
08-31-2004, 06:51 PM
Is your Accord still under warranty? Have the dealer check it out. To replicate the Jerk or hesitation, try to drive between 20-30MPH or 50-60MPH and maintain the speed if you feel hesitation or jerking it got to be EGR Valve.
Right after my first reply earlier I test drive my Pilot, and it is gone. Usually it happen when I try to maintain the speed between 20-30, there are more vibration and jerking when I between 50-60MHP. Thanks god it gone.

princess
08-31-2004, 07:30 PM
I asked....& read the post, he says it's the EGR....probably NOT plugged, it's bad & needs replacing.

He said great description!!:D

res-pilot
08-31-2004, 07:56 PM
Remember I might be wrong, too. EGR Valve problem and Fuel Injection are the same symptom. But, Fuel Injection usually jerking and hesitate when you gas the pedal. ie: like when you on a red light, when green and you hit the gas pedal you can feel the jerking and lots of hesitating...that is Fuel Injection.

Inspector1
10-01-2004, 05:40 AM
benjamming,

Did you get problem resolved or did it clear up on it's own??

I1:)

benjamming
10-01-2004, 06:23 AM
My wife is out of town next week. I have an appointment next Tuesday. I have a couple of other items as well.

Inspector1
10-01-2004, 06:26 AM
Cool:up:
Keep us posted!

benjamming
10-05-2004, 08:02 PM
They replaced the EGR valve set P/N: 18011-RCA-A00. Is this an updated part or will it just fail again in 20-30k miles OUT of warranty? This seems to be a common problem with lots of new cars.

BTW, the dealership treated me great again. They didn't have a driver to get me at work, so one of the techs had to do it. I guess it got him out of there for a while, but aren't they paid by the job? I wonder how that went down?

princess
10-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Updated normally means truley new & improved.....so it should last for you!

Glad you were treated well!:up:

Sometimes the "other" stuff the techs do go on "W" time. Not all shops are "by the job", many pay a set hourly wage. If you're there 8 hours, that's what you get paid.... Flat rate shops pay by production hours.

Inspector1
10-06-2004, 05:21 AM
Cool glad to here it's fixed:thmsup:

aaahaa
08-04-2006, 01:04 PM
Hey Peeps.. :wave:

I am so glad to have found this forum! I have been a member of other forums and kinda know the etiquettes :thmsup:

So I figured I'll search before posting a new one.. And taadaaa - I found something!

I have 1998 Accord - V4 ;-) and here's what happened.. A few weeks ago I recieved check engine sign.. Took it to the local mechanic and sprayed something in one of the valves.. Not really sure what he did.. When i picked up the car the check sign was gone nut noticed something different.. I "think" he lowered the engine rev as well..

Anyways, I didn't care and kept driving since the sign was gone.. A few days later.. the car started hesitating at around 60ish.. it shifts and accelerates fine but the hesitation comes only when crusing.. In the beginning, I wasn't concerned since it was very little.. but now after a week or two.. its increasing almost on a dialy basis!

The mechanic said it could be the transmission.. I contradict since its only when its crusing.. I could be wrong.. So here I am in the digital world asking the experts :nuts:

So what do you guys think? So did this EGR thing work? If so, how much did it cost?

princess
08-04-2006, 06:57 PM
Welcome to the forum.... :wave:

A V4, huh? That's not one I'm familiar with. :D

It would be helpful if they'd told you the code your check engine light had produced. :dunno: By chance did they tell you?

Has the light come back on with this cruising surge thing?

It doesn't sound like a tranny thing.... it very well could be the EGR. If the car is getting insufficient flow due to a clogged up EGR then it would act weird. So would a clogged CAT.

You can't really clean them out with spraying stuff.....it builds up a carbon type substance & needs to be cleaned by a drilling type way of doing it..... :dunno:

stiller fan
08-05-2006, 07:53 AM
yeah, when my car was doing that a couple yrs ago, that had to drill out the EGR valves to clean them out.... after that, all was well..... :thmsup:

welcome aboard.... :wave: