Rear HUMMMMMM noise.... not sure [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Rear HUMMMMMM noise.... not sure

gooderthanyou
08-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Hi I have a noise similar to this youtube video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFPyNYKhgJ4

So this noise starts at 30, gets pretty loud at 40 and sort of quiets around 50 MPH. I have one tire that is feathered pretty badly but the rest look okay. I have the noise in what seems like the rear driver side which is where the feathred tire was after I had my tires rotated and aligned. I went to firestone and they said the noise is from "cupped" tires but the tire looks feathred to me and they claimed all 4 tires but I only really see one.

They said I will have the noise unless I get new tires. I've had Continental DSW for about ~20k miles. I find it nuts they already went. I had them on for 1 1/2 years. My alignment was off which is why one of the tires was feathered badly.

Figuring it was tire noise, I moved the feathered tire behind me to the other rear thinking I'd hear less of the HUMM noise. That's not the case. It's still rather annoying, loud at times, and directly behind me. Firestone said I'm safe and need not to worry about it, I told them i thought I had a wheel bearing problem. They said the wheel bearings are fine. I'm not sure if they checked or just saw faulty tires and claimed that as the problem. I've heard videos of fault wheel bearings with this grind/ growl noise... I don't have that. I have this HUM.

I might get new tires but i'd be upset if there's something else wrong.

cookieman214
08-18-2013, 02:30 PM
So you don't get upset, go ahead and spend around $200.00 per side--list price--plus labor, to have new rear wheel bearing hub assemblies installed.

Yes, you need new tires to get rid of your HUM.

poorboyaccord
08-18-2013, 05:29 PM
Mine does the same thing, I thought my wheel bearings were bad, im riding on 3+ year old BFG Gforce sport tires, needless to say im ready for new tires

gooderthanyou
08-18-2013, 06:40 PM
Well my tires are only 1.5 years old. They have plenty of tread and still look new. I figured the sound would move around since only one tire looks pretty bad but seems to be the same hum from the rear. I've heard of people being told it was their tires, they get new tires, noise is still there and then it's the wheel bearing. Also the other way around, new wheel bearings, then it's the tires.

abbott
08-19-2013, 08:26 AM
cupping tires? do you have a massive camber in the back?

Jeff226
08-20-2013, 05:53 AM
I had a slightly worn bearing that caused almost the identical noise... 2 of my favorite maintenance shops in town swore that the bearings were fine... It took the dealer garage listening to it, called it immediately, problem permanently fixed.

This happened at 65k for me... 2009 4cyl EX-L Coupe

gooderthanyou
08-20-2013, 11:33 AM
I had a slightly worn bearing that caused almost the identical noise... 2 of my favorite maintenance shops in town swore that the bearings were fine... It took the dealer garage listening to it, called it immediately, problem permanently fixed.

This happened at 65k for me... 2009 4cyl EX-L Coupe

Yea no idea. I've read quite a feel people that had that happened. I guess it's more like a WHOP WHOP WHOP noise more than a hum. I think it's tires, I can feel both rears and they are a little uneven wear but seems strange that such a crazy noise is coming from that. I tried taking off tire, brakes, and spinning by hand and didn't seem abnormal (just a little noise on both rears). I have to sit on the passenger side and see if it's just as loud. Cause both tires about worn but the one on the passenger side is very slightly worse in the rear. wiggled tires and all, no movement. If the other side is pretty quiet it might be the SOMETHING with that rear left wheel.

Jeff226
08-20-2013, 04:20 PM
Yea no idea. I've read quite a feel people that had that happened. I guess it's more like a WHOP WHOP WHOP noise more than a hum. I think it's tires, I can feel both rears and they are a little uneven wear but seems strange that such a crazy noise is coming from that. I tried taking off tire, brakes, and spinning by hand and didn't seem abnormal (just a little noise on both rears). I have to sit on the passenger side and see if it's just as loud. Cause both tires about worn but the one on the passenger side is very slightly worse in the rear. wiggled tires and all, no movement. If the other side is pretty quiet it might be the SOMETHING with that rear left wheel.

Mine was easily a "whop whop whop"... prior to doing the bearing, I had bought two new tires and had an alignment.. I was bound and convinced it was my tires the entire time as well. The dealer was the only place out of 3 that picked up on it.

poorboyaccord
08-21-2013, 05:21 AM
So is there anyway to grease the bearings without taking it apart?

cookieman214
08-21-2013, 05:38 AM
So is there anyway to grease the bearings without taking it apart?

No, they are a sealed bearing. To repair, you have to replace the assembly.

gooderthanyou
08-21-2013, 05:59 AM
The best description of the problem is a howling. Wind going through a tunnel or something similar. No metal noise, no grinding.

If there's bumps in the road, the tire that bounces will be quiet for a second. Some roads are quieter, if it's a smooth/semi-smooth road it's at it's loudest. I can have radio up to 25 and barely hear it, radio at 15 or so and definitely can hear it. At highway speeds it's gone. At anything below 30 mph it's silent.

The two rears are not THAT bad IMO but that doesn't mean much I guess.

I mean I did just get a rotation and it seems a little louder since the front tires went to the back. So either it naturally got worse, or i'm hearing things.

At one point it drove me so crazy I had my radio on, I heard the howling noise in my head, turned off the radio and the car was silent :lmao:. It's really getting to me and now i'm imagining it sometimes.

poorboyaccord
08-22-2013, 09:43 AM
The best description of the problem is a howling. Wind going through a tunnel or something similar. No metal noise, no grinding.

If there's bumps in the road, the tire that bounces will be quiet for a second. Some roads are quieter, if it's a smooth/semi-smooth road it's at it's loudest. I can have radio up to 25 and barely hear it, radio at 15 or so and definitely can hear it. At highway speeds it's gone. At anything below 30 mph it's silent.

The two rears are not THAT bad IMO but that doesn't mean much I guess.

I mean I did just get a rotation and it seems a little louder since the front tires went to the back. So either it naturally got worse, or i'm hearing things.

At one point it drove me so crazy I had my radio on, I heard the howling noise in my head, turned off the radio and the car was silent :lmao:. It's really getting to me and now i'm imagining it sometimes.
yeah im taking my car to the dealer next week to get my bearing checked out

gooderthanyou
08-23-2013, 05:04 AM
Mine was easily a "whop whop whop"... prior to doing the bearing, I had bought two new tires and had an alignment.. I was bound and convinced it was my tires the entire time as well. The dealer was the only place out of 3 that picked up on it.

I'll just wait to see if it gets a little louder.

I took my tire off, caliper, and tried to remove the rotor but couldn't because the brake pad housing (that's in the way of removing the rotor) was in the way and too tight to remove. I spun it around with the rotor still on and it didn't sound like "marbles", "grinding", or "wind" or anything. Just a little faint metal on metal sound. Both rears had identical sounds. And there was no weight either. It actually looks pretty easy to DIY. Seems a lot of people have to "press" bearings out but not on the accord.