Features of the 08 accord and improvements over 07' [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Features of the 08 accord and improvements over 07'

08exl
10-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Here are a couple great links to check out, they go into detail about the features of the 08' accord and the improvements specific to this year:thmsup:

General

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/2008-Honda-Accord.html

Body

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/2008-Honda-Accord-Body.html

Chassis

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/2008-Honda-Accord-Chassis.html

Powertrain

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/2008-Honda-Accord-Powertrain.html

Interior

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/2008-Honda-Accord-Interior.html

Safety

http://www.zercustoms.com/news/2008-Honda-Accord-Safety.html

HondaPOD
10-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the post. I still want you car too. :thmsup:

08exl
10-02-2007, 07:50 PM
LOL. Thanks! I am lovin my car:thmsup: and make sure you read the articles. There are a lot more things that are new to the 08 than I originally thought. I had no previous accord to compare to. I learned a couple usefull things too such as apparently you can change the automatic lock settings to lock when the car goes into gear instead of when you hit 10 mph. Now I want to know how.

HondaPOD
10-02-2007, 07:52 PM
Really? That's a pretty cool feature. :D

GrandLakeGAR
10-02-2007, 09:10 PM
My wifes new 08 is parked next to her old 04 while I get it ready to private sell so I have been able to do a side by side comparison. I really like the style and room of the 08 but the 04 has some good features that are now missing. The moon roof manual crank, the package shelf key lock for the folding seat back, cup holders in all four door pockets, spring loaded fingers in the console cup holders, and the jack is no longer in a side compartment with a cover door but just laying in a loose plastic tray on top of the spare. Probably all eliminated for cost savings and my wife loves the car as is but I'm a little disappointed.

benjaminh
10-02-2007, 11:56 PM
But look at what you get with the new 08 LX Accord that you didn't on an 07 LX: Ace body structure (you are now safer than if you owned a Volvo), next gen air bags, VSA, brake assist, EBD, disc brakes all around, bigger tires, more powerful engine, more room, etc, etc--all for only a few hundred more msrp than the 07. Honda's engineers and factory workers are impressive, but they aren't quite miracle workers. I feel like the 08 has moved almost a full class of vehicle higher than the 07, but a few sacrifices needed to be made for that.

Just my 2 cents....

But I appreciate your post. One of the things on my 02 Accord that I miss on the 08 is that I have door lights even in the rear. That was actually eliminated in the 7th generation in the 2003 model year.

It's interesting to see the trade offs that they make with each generation. Overall I feel the new Accord is a big improvement over the older generations, but it is sad to see features lost.

But overall it seems like in some ways the 08 Accord is getting closer to the BMW 5 series. Here's one way that that's trueŚmy 02 LX Accord has relatively small and narrow tires (P195/65 R15), while my 08 EXL which is coming has the same size tires found on a BMW 5 series (P225/50 R 17). I assume this will mean better handling and better grip in rain and snow, and even just in daily driving. Right there Honda spent several hundred dollars making a better Accord. I guess that had to make up some of it somewhere. How the tools are placed for the spare are just not a big deal for me...

08exl
10-03-2007, 06:55 AM
But I appreciate your post. One of the things on my 02 Accord that I miss on the 08 is that I have door lights even in the rear. That was actually eliminated in the 7th generation in the 2003 model year.

It's interesting to see the trade offs that they make with each generation. Overall I feel the new Accord is a big improvement over the older generations, but it is sad to see features lost.

But, the 08 does have a seperate light over the back seat that can be set to turn on when the doors are opened. With that, the interior is very well lit at night. Is that a feature that the 02 had? The lights on the doors look nice a, but provide little illumination IMO. I have no idea how the lighting in the 07 is, so it may have had this feature too.:dunno:

GrandLakeGAR
10-03-2007, 07:56 AM
Both 04 and 08 EX's have lights in the front doors. The 04 has a red reflector in the rear doors, 08 doesn't. Front and rear cabin lights are the same. The bigger tires certainly look better but tread wear rating has gone from 440 down to 300. Jack stowage in the spare takes away the space I used for a fire extinguisher, first aid kit and trouble light. I do like the 08 but the 7th generation is so good that in some areas it's hard to improve.

08exl
10-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Good to know GrandLake. There are no reflectors on the 08's rear doors but the 08 does have a few interior improvements. It has auto up and down passenger window, looks like the 07 didn't. 08 also has power lumbar support (ex), did the 07 have that? Also, the 07 didn't have ANC (active noise control) did it? What about the mp3/auxillary input?

Also something to note is that the sunroof is bigger this year, I don't know if that would count as more of an interior feature or exterior? The benefit of use is from inside ofcourse.:dunno:

benjaminh
10-03-2007, 09:12 AM
One thing I liked about an 08 with a sunroof is that it moves the dome light much closer to the rear seat (probably does on earlier models too). Anyway, my son sometimes likes to read in the backseat when it's twilight or dark, and sometimes I let him if the driving conditions are good enough. The light in my 02 is ok, but a bit far forward for that use. I'm thinking the 08 will be nice for that. It's like the kids have their own light.

I've never had a car with a sunroof, and I don't know if I'll like it or how much I'll use it. I wouldn't have considered it before, because of the $ factor and the lost headroom. But the 08 Accord is taller, and it seemed like the headroom was still ok even with the sunroof.

How much do you use it 08 EX? Do you sometimes have the glass closed just to get sunlight? Can you tell it's bigger than the average sunroof?

benjaminh
10-03-2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks, Talon, for that report on the sunroof. It sounds like it is nice to have, kind of like having a taste of a convertible but with the safety of a regular car.

The dealer told me something like "now it's just one press to open." Since I'd never had a sunroof, that didn't mean much to me. Is it easier to open (and close) than the ones in the 7th and 6th generations?

08exl
10-03-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm with talon on the use of the sunroof but it's rare that I have the sunroof completely blocked off. I almost always have the shade pulled back to get that extra light. I had a sunroof in my sebring, and like talon once you get one...you really miss it if you get another car without one.

The 08 sunroof is easier to use for a couple reasons, it has one touch open and close kind of like auto up/down on windows where you press and hold the button for a second then it continues to go all the way down or up. From what I can understand the 07' didn't have that. Also, the sunroof is now included in the unlock feature on the remote that allows all the windows (and now sunroof) to go down before getting to your car when you press and hold the unlock button. It's a useful feature for a hot day where you want to vent a lil heat out of your car before getting to it, say in the parking lot. Not to mention, it just looks cool :nuts: Not one of those features you need but when you're used to it, it's weird not to have, our 02' c320 has that feature and it's always been neat although we haven't used too often honestly. One down side to this function on the accord is you can't just hold the lock button for the windows to go back up, the key has to be in the door, this wasn't the case in the mercedes.

As far as the size of the sunroof goes, I don't know that it's that much larger than average but I do know it's wider than the moonroof in the 07'. I want to say it's by 1.5 inches but I can't find that info now so don't qoute me on that.

HondaPOD
10-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Thanks, Talon, for that report on the sunroof. It sounds like it is nice to have, kind of like having a taste of a convertible but with the safety of a regular car.

The dealer told me something like "now it's just one press to open." Since I'd never had a sunroof, that didn't mean much to me. Is it easier to open (and close) than the ones in the 7th and 6th generations?

Yes, in the 7th gen, you had to hold the button down until the sunroof was fully open, now, you just press the button and it opens on its own. Both the front and passager windows do that too! :thmsup:

But if a hand is in the way of the windows or sunroof, it will STOP, then open move back into the roof/door..

I REALLY LIKE THESE NEW FEATURES!!! GOOD JOB HONDA!
:thmsup: :thmsup: :thmsup: :thmsup: :thmsup: :thmsup: :thmsup:

Ski
10-06-2007, 07:36 PM
That's one of the things I liked when I test drove the '07 Camry is the back reading lights. A nice focused beam for rear passengers only and doesn't bother the driver. :thmsup:

HondaPOD
10-06-2007, 07:38 PM
That's one of the things I liked when I test drove the '07 Camry is the back reading lights. A nice focused beam for rear passengers only and doesn't bother the driver. :thmsup:

Yeah, that's a smart idea.