Sunroof Drain Cleaning [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Sunroof Drain Cleaning

shadow85
09-12-2013, 08:18 AM
This is my first vehicle with a sunroof. I heard stories about drains being clogged over time and inducing leaks into the interior. From looking at the parts diagram, the passenger side drain goes forward and the driver side drain goes backwards. What tricks do you guys use to keep these "drain pipes" clear?

Flyboy
09-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Both my 88 Prelude and my 2000 Accord Coupe have standard Honda moonroof. I hav which my son is driving to college. I have never cleaned the drains nor has rain ever leaked into either cars. I drove the Prelude from 88 to 96 and I still have the Accord. I can't find anything in the owner's manual about cleaning the drains for the moonroof as preventative maintenance.

rdeal317
09-13-2013, 01:18 AM
Compressed air. $5 pistol you attach to an air line. Park it on a dry floor, maybe even spray a cleaner into the drains, then blow it out until you see it puddle below the drain exit.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)

abitolder
09-13-2013, 08:29 AM
blowing down you may blow the drain line off its peg on the sunroof, that might be a big PIA to re install

karfreek
09-13-2013, 11:51 AM
Before trying to unclog, check to see if they are clogged. Take a Solo cup, fill it up, and then pour it down the drain. If it pisses out the bottom of the pillar, you have no clog. Refill Solo cup with booze.

Jay

Miker
09-13-2013, 04:31 PM
blowing down you may blow the drain line off its peg on the sunroof, that might be a big PIA to re install

VERY good point

If it really is clogged a vacuum may be better since the clog won't act as a plug and push the drain tube off the metal tube in the sun (moon) roof.

Miker

Gfn8r
09-13-2013, 04:56 PM
Before trying to unclog, check to see if they are clogged. Take a Solo cup, fill it up, and then pour it down the drain. If it pisses out the bottom of the pillar, you have no clog. Refill Solo cup with booze.

Jay

I'll drink to that!! :lmao: :banana: :wave: :thumbsup: :drink: :salue: :beatnik:

All my Hondas in my sig are at least EX or higher--all moonroofs! No Draino (or wa-wa) necessary! No leaks or other stuff! (Had the 6th-Gen moonroof make a squeak, fixed under a TSB. Current Touring roof doesn't go quite to the stop in "vent" mode, and rattles a little, but I'm not going to squawk about it, lest there be MORE rattles introduced in taking down the headliner to fix it! :yes: )

Gator_CR2
09-13-2013, 05:02 PM
Having a few preludes and an old accord with a sunroof, the ONLY time I have had one clog is when some kind of insects made a nest in it from the bottom of the car. I simple wire hanger fixed that.

Atarian
09-13-2013, 08:35 PM
1999 Civic EX in Washington state - i.e. rain 9 months out of the year. Never had a problem. I think it's a non-issue...

Theman
09-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Pro Tip: If a car is under warranty, follow the routine maintenance guide in the manual and if anything else breaks, thats what the warranty is for. Over-thinking.

rdeal317
09-14-2013, 03:08 AM
1) having done this many times, I've never seen the tube blow off. Just don't have accumulators or a big tank. Careful use of a home compressor has always worked for me.

2) both my 88 prelude I had in HS, my 89 CRX, and my 91 accord now clogged, but I'm in Indiana parked under trees. I would think Honda has improved this design with our 9th gens, especially since they've been designed and built in my region for a while now.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App (http://www.autoguide.com/mobile)