Brake pad mm indicator....what does it mean? [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Brake pad mm indicator....what does it mean?

in4mation
12-15-2007, 10:51 AM
I just got back from the dealer in which they performed the maintenance interval for my car. On the bottom of the work order, they have the following:

BRAKE PADS GOOD FRONT 8MM REAR 6MM

What does this mean? Does this mean that my rears are wearing faster than the fronts? Also, at what point in MM should I replace the pads?

Thanks! :wave:

MotorCity Honda
12-15-2007, 11:49 AM
I just got back from the dealer in which they performed the maintenance interval for my car. On the bottom of the work order, they have the following:

What does this mean? Does this mean that my rears are wearing faster than the fronts? Also, at what point in MM should I replace the pads?

Well you 1st need to know how thick they were to start off with... some front pads are bigger right off the bat.

FYI: My rear pads wear faster than the front.. Crazy

namegoeshere
12-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Mine were at 9mm front and 7 mm rear at the last check-up. That means my rears are wearing a little faster.

I think you should replace them when they're 3mm or less.

Accordlover
12-15-2007, 01:02 PM
Mine were at 9mm front and 7 mm rear at the last check-up. That means my rears are wearing a little faster.

I think you should replace them when they're 3mm or less.

Or when they click as your brake like mine just started doing!:paranoid:

Inspector1
12-15-2007, 03:01 PM
Front pads start at 11mm and rears 9mm..

I believe minimum on both is 1.6mm.

I1:)

Fredsvt
12-15-2007, 08:17 PM
I'd hope they measured the rear pads using the INSIDE pad.

I've never seen one NOT wear the inside pad faster than the outer on the rear discs. If the pads freeze in the carrier, then all bets are off, they usually destroy the pads (stick on) or the outer pad stops working altogether.

Usually, if you go by percentage, the outers will be at about 25 to 30% and the inners near the bottom by the wear indicator are usually at 5% to essentially zero.

On the front brakes, you'll usually see the RF (passenger) wear slightly more than the left.

Accord2004
12-20-2007, 11:51 AM
What about noise? What kind of noise will indicate a brake change?

benjamming
12-20-2007, 12:29 PM
high pitched screech

MotorCity Honda
12-20-2007, 01:16 PM

Well you 1st need to know how thick they were to start off with... some front pads are bigger right off the bat.

FYI: My rear pads wear faster than the front.. Crazy

Front pads start at 11mm and rears 9mm..

I believe minimum on both is 1.6mm.

I1:)

Looking at the above three posts you can conclude that your front and rear pads are actually wearing even and have worn 3mm

What about noise? What kind of noise will indicate a brake change?

Most pads have a metal "squeaker".. once the pads wear to a certain point there is metal to metal contact hence the horrible sound.

greg-ster
12-22-2007, 12:57 AM
I wonder if you'll need to replace the rotors when the wear indicators start squealing...

bbrowncods
12-22-2007, 03:54 PM
Squealing is caused by a small piece of metal designed for the purpose of warning when the pads are worn out. So turning the disc is not required just because of the squealing.

XLR8
12-22-2007, 07:32 PM
3mm is correct for replacement. That is where our gauges say RED is at 3mm. Anything above is fine.