Small paint chip on car...will it rust? [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Small paint chip on car...will it rust?

jrath1
07-09-2008, 05:36 PM
I found a small paint chip right around the driver side taillight. Looks like it goes right down to the primer. It's very small and sort of hidden.

I could probably touch it up with some touch up paint. But it's so hidden don't know if it's worth it.

Will this chip eventually start to rust?

leggysoe
07-09-2008, 05:38 PM
I don't know about rusting but $7 for touchup paint is a wise investment.

jrath1
07-09-2008, 05:46 PM
I guess i can get this at the dealer?

jang859
07-09-2008, 05:51 PM
tell me where to get some touch up paint for that price leggysoe and i'm game I have an Accord coupe i4 black just like you and i have a bunch of roch chips in the front and one huge one on the side behind my drivers door.

Let me tell you something jrath1 yes it will rust. One of mine is already rusting a little as I can see and my car is 8 mo. old. I saw on my girlfriends Accord today a chip right above the left headlight (right where I have one too) but her car is 10 years old. Boy the rust set it, its completely rust color there instead of white. Yes, it will rust.

I'm game for touch up paint, as long as i can match with the paint code on the doorjamb and it really blends in pretty well. I heard the darker the color the more it blends in, hearing that black is the best and I hope so.

vietalogy
07-09-2008, 05:53 PM
get some touch up paint at autozone.

atomiclightbulb
07-09-2008, 06:24 PM
$7 for touchup paint is worth it. I keep a tube/pen/something of touchup paint around. I painted over a lot of rock chips on the hood of my really old Accord.

leggysoe
07-09-2008, 06:34 PM
tell me where to get some touch up paint for that price leggysoe and i'm game I have an Accord coupe i4 black just like you and i have a bunch of roch chips in the front and one huge one on the side behind my drivers door.

Your local honda dealer =] It has both brush and ball pen.

Mase764
07-09-2008, 06:36 PM
u can get cheaper online.. mayeb

Osiris_x11
07-09-2008, 07:03 PM
Get your Accord's paint-code from the door-jamb and then get the matching touch-up paint (0.5oz.) from your dealer.

Ask for a discount/price-match (15%-20% off their list price).

OEM touch-up paint is indeed cheaper online; but after S/H, it become fairly more expensive than buying in-person... unless you can find a web-vendor who has free shipping!

I've checked numerous online vendors, shipping always nearly doubles the price of the actual item.

For reference:

Alabaster Silver Metallic (Paint Code --> NH-700M)

Basque Red Pearl (Paint Code --> R530P)

Belize Blue Pearl (Paint Code --> B551P)

Bold Beige Metallic (Paint Code --> YR547M)

Mystic Green Metallic (Paint Code --> G530M)

Nighthawk Black Pearl (Paint Code --> B92P)

Polished Metal Metallic (Paint Code --> NH737M)

Royal Blue Pearl (Paint Code --> B-536P)

San Marino Red (Paint Code --> R94)

Taffeta White (Paint Code --> NH578)

White Diamond Pearl (Paint Code --> NH603P)

Inspector1
07-09-2008, 07:14 PM
I found a small paint chip right around the driver side taillight. Looks like it goes right down to the primer. It's very small and sort of hidden.

I could probably touch it up with some touch up paint. But it's so hidden don't know if it's worth it.

Will this chip eventually start to rust?

Take it to the dealer and show it to the service mgr. Check the edge of your taillight and make sure it's not cracked or broken.
If you just touch up the taillight will flake the touch up out.
The taillight assembly needs to be adjusted away from the body panel.

Does it look like this??

I1:)

Viper897
07-09-2008, 07:45 PM
If that body panel is metal then yes it will rust. If the body panel there is plastic, which both bumpers are, then no it wont rust. I have two small scratches in my rear bumper from putting my bike in the trunk. But it looks like touch up paint is on my list of things to get.

_JuztaJ_
07-09-2008, 07:51 PM
$7 for touchup paint is worth it. I keep a tube/pen/something of touchup paint around. I painted over a lot of rock chips on the hood of my really old Accord.

does it come out smooth and un noticeable at any angle in the sun? i have like 3 tiny tiny rock chips from dump trucks on the highway and maybe this will help..

Osiris_x11
07-09-2008, 08:01 PM
does it come out smooth and un noticeable at any angle in the sun? i have like 3 tiny tiny rock chips from dump trucks on the highway and maybe this will help..You need to use an emory-board/wet-sandpaper to get it near-perfect. Adding clear-coat will make it as-good-as-it-can-get.

jrath1
07-10-2008, 04:36 AM
Take it to the dealer and show it to the service mgr. Check the edge of your taillight and make sure it's not cracked or broken.
If you just touch up the taillight will flake the touch up out.
The taillight assembly needs to be adjusted away from the body panel.

Does it look like this??

That's it exactly. My chip is much smaller and only on the curved part of the metal. I'm wondering if it happened when they installed the tailight. Is the dealer going to repaint that section for you?

jang859
07-10-2008, 12:40 PM
So i just called the dealer. It's 8 bucks for a little thing of touch up paint, a brush, and a pen.

Does this mean the pen is dipped into this thing, it doesn't squirt out of the pen?

I thought when they said pen they would mean it's in the pen itself and it squeezes out of the pen.

now, he said "honda does not sell clear coat touchup paint" so he has no clearcoat available for me to buy. i heard clearcoat is essential to get it to match, plus you want protection anyway...

I see independent clearcoat touchup paint online at some sites, i wonder if it is OEM after that guys comment, and if it matches. It's in a seperate pen. I thought someone had said you can get a pen where one side is nbp and the other side is clearcoat, which sounded nifty to me!

what is the deal guys? I see on the official honda website it does not mention clearcoat.

Here is the third party site with a clearcoast touchup pen available. but it's seperate pens, not double sided :(.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/paintpen.asp

Inspector1
07-10-2008, 12:45 PM
That's it exactly. My chip is much smaller and only on the curved part of the metal. I'm wondering if it happened when they installed the tailight. Is the dealer going to repaint that section for you?

I meet with Rep. tomorrow.. We will see, I looked at the left side this morning and noticed some small chips.. Looks like both sides need repair and Right tailight assy. I will keep you posted. The right side took less than 600 miles to appear and the left side appeared at 1500. It is due to improper clearance between light housing and body panels.

jrath1
07-10-2008, 12:59 PM
So i just called the dealer. It's 8 bucks for a little thing of touch up paint, a brush, and a pen.

Does this mean the pen is dipped into this thing, it doesn't squirt out of the pen?

I thought when they said pen they would mean it's in the pen itself and it squeezes out of the pen.

now, he said "honda does not sell clear coat touchup paint" so he has no clearcoat available for me to buy. i heard clearcoat is essential to get it to match, plus you want protection anyway...

I see independent clearcoat touchup paint online at some sites, i wonder if it is OEM after that guys comment, and if it matches. It's in a seperate pen. I thought someone had said you can get a pen where one side is nbp and the other side is clearcoat, which sounded nifty to me!

what is the deal guys? I see on the official honda website it does not mention clearcoat.

Here is the third party site with a clearcoast touchup pen available. but it's seperate pens, not double sided :(.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/paintpen.asp

Please keep me posted...and good luck!

Osiris_x11
07-10-2008, 01:26 PM
... i heard clearcoat is essential to get it to match, plus you want protection anyway...I've used OEM touch-up paint w/ great success over the years over a range of cars. Clear-coat only helps if you've prepped the surface underneath...

For best results, this is the protocol to follow:

- use 'filler' to fill-in paint-chip

- apply OEM touch-up paint using the brush/pen (whichever is easier); don't worry if applied paint seems 'rounded'/bulging/extra

- use an emory-board or sand-paper to level-off the applied paint

- wet-sand using 2000grit/2500grit sandpaper (only use rubbing-compound w/ care!)

- apply clear-coat; don't worry if applied clear-coat seems 'rounded'/bulging/extra

- wet-sand using 2000grit/2500grit sandpaper (only use rubbing-compound w/ care!)

- polish -> wax -> buff

I have a few clear-coat application 'pens' from www.paintscratch.com.

Also, if you google/yahoo search for paint-chip kits, you can get: OEM-matched paint + clear-coat + filler + wet-sandpaper all together.

clutch
07-10-2008, 01:29 PM
i noticed that the first thing after picking up my car and inspecting it. i got my new car jsut this monday.
i have an appt to take it back to the dealer next week for body shop work.
apparently it 's gonna take longer than a day cuz they wanna 'do it right' and bake it or something...

i was gonna tell them to just adjust it and touch it up, but hey if they gonna do it right, i don't mind..

don't just touch it up yourself.. go get the dealer to fix it. they wern't gonna give me a courtesy car, i was pissed i told them i didn't expect to have to get repairs on a brand new car! :furious:
then he gave me the "we gotta get u a car out of our own pockets but i'll do u a favour" WTF.. like i care ?? i'll be complaining to honda about that.

i'll see if i can upload a crappy pic..

clutch
07-10-2008, 01:34 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3161/2656837426_6215791cda.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3171/2656837862_15af5740b4.jpg?v=0

btw y'all should go check all your light housings cuz i think it's just easiest to spot for a black car.... no one really goes and 'look' for this stuff...

the service mgr. told me 'wow this is the first i've seen of this..." it should be a pretty common problem i would assume.

jang859
07-11-2008, 10:43 AM
One thing to note. One time someone said that using clearcoat touchup paint over top of the original was worse.

hmmm..wonder if he just did it wrong, like had it on there too thick and didn't and it down, or...

Inspector1
10-09-2008, 05:43 AM
Ok tailight issue handled:thmsup: My body shop shaved the lights down to fit:yes: No more chippage issues:thmsup:

Inspector1
10-09-2008, 05:44 AM
Other side..

Inspector1
11-20-2008, 05:15 PM
I happened to get a chance to look at 20 2009 Accord Sedans on a dealers lot today and guess what I found.. here are pics of the 4.:dunno:

These have not been through dealer prep.

I1:thumbsdow

Inspector1
11-20-2008, 05:16 PM
shot #2

Inspector1
11-20-2008, 05:17 PM
shot #3

Inspector1
11-20-2008, 05:18 PM
shot #4

Talk about rusting 1/4 panels:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

Osiris_x11
11-20-2008, 05:22 PM
^ I'm thinking the misaligned headlights/taillights have to be attributed to the protective white-vinyl covering placed on the models during transport & then the removal. Apparently, the removal was done haphazardly & w/o care along the seams, causing the light-housings to shift/move.

It's obviously not a Honda design flaw as the lights fit right back into their spots w/o any modification. . .

Nonetheless, it's pathetic when you're paying $20k-$30k for a brand-new vehicle in 2008 from one of the highest regarded manufacturers around... :rolleyes:

Inspector1
11-20-2008, 05:30 PM
^ I'm thinking the misaligned headlights/taillights have to be attributed to the protective white-vinyl covering placed on the models during transport & then the removal. Apparently, the removal was done haphazardly & w/o care along the seams, causing the light-housings to shift/move.

It's obviously not a Honda design flaw as the lights fit right back into their spots w/o any modification. . .

Nonetheless, it's pathetic when you're paying $20k-$30k for a brand-new vehicle in 2008 from one of the highest regarded manufacturers around... "rolleyes:

Its the tail lights and these cars still have all plastic on them. These are coming from the factory this way and the vibration on transport and possible load-unload procedure.... The alignment of tails on all the cars was not even close...

09 ACCORD COUPE
11-21-2008, 06:42 AM
Simple answer to you question.
Exposed metal=oxidation=rust. Fix whatever caused it and touch it up.

olivehead
12-04-2008, 11:31 AM
i just noticed one of these kinds of paint chips on the driver's side of my 2009 silver LX-P. at my office there are about 6 other accords so i went through the lot and looked at each one for a similar chip. the first 5 did not have it. they were all VIN prefix "J." the 6th one had the chip on a black finish. much more noticable than on my silver. VIN prefix "1." draw your own conclusions.

anyone think this is worth taking back to the dealer (i've got just over 400 miles on the odo), touch up myself, or let it be?

denttarek
12-04-2008, 11:49 AM
i just noticed one of these kinds of paint chips on the driver's side of my 2009 silver LX-P. at my office there are about 6 other accords so i went through the lot and looked at each one for a similar chip. the first 5 did not have it. they were all VIN prefix "J." the 6th one had the chip on a black finish. much more noticable than on my silver. VIN prefix "1." draw your own conclusions.

anyone think this is worth taking back to the dealer (i've got just over 400 miles on the odo), touch up myself, or let it be?

i ll take it to the dealer ,my dealer actually replaced the taillight cover"misaligned"and he said it is the probable cause of the chip,beside i would let him do the touch up in case it didn't go well it is his responsibility ,they ended up doing a great job i can't even tell the chip was ever there.

the thing is the taillight cover should be flushed with the body .

olivehead
12-04-2008, 12:59 PM
checked out another co-worker's car a while ago (she was at lunch when i conducted my parking lot survey) and sure enough, she's got what's probably the worse chip of the bunch right in that same spot (the pointed curve of the tail light assembly on the quarter panel) on her black finish. a little while after that i went over to one of our local dealers to pick up some touch up paint for my wife's CR-V, and happened to look at 2 more accords: an EX-L on the showroom floor with no paint chip and an LX right outside on the lot with a chip. yes, you guessed it; the EX-L was built in japan and the LX in marysville. based on this admittedly anectodal evidence, there appears to be something wrong in this regard in the OH plant, both as to the 2008s and the 2009s. does anyone know if honda has acknowledged this problem?

denttarek
12-04-2008, 02:23 PM
my car is an EX-L coupe and i had the chip problem ,i believe it was diagnosed as the taillight rubbing against the paint and chipping it

olivehead
12-04-2008, 02:29 PM
what if anything did you do or did they do to fix it?

denttarek
12-04-2008, 02:36 PM
they looked at it ,asked me to come back in 2 days so they can get a replacement taillight ,and said they would touch it up for me and install a new one
it only took them few hours and it is perfectly flushed with the body now ,i can't even see the area that was chipped

thedetailguyz
01-12-2010, 12:24 AM
wow! I am very surprised to see all this. I was not expecting this to be a rising issue but it appears so.

This was brought to my attention via my sister in law. Her 08 Accord Sedan (Black) had chips. She had mentioned i should check out the wifey's 08 Accord Sedan (Gray) and it also had chips around the tail lights.

I detailed my car yesterday 2009 Accord EX-L Coupe and i didn't see any that were really clear to me around my tail lights but on the passenger side headlight area by the light and fender i have chips.

So on my end there is 3 chipping accords. Unbelievable. Bad part for them is i won't do touch up paint. They are going to have to have it fixed and painted. Touch up paint is horrible.

Keep us posted everyone. I'm going to bring it to the attention of the dealership tomorrow and see what they say.

So far they are painting 1 of the 3 cars. If shaving the lights down helps i might have to ask about that.

chuangandrew
01-12-2010, 09:16 AM
lotta old thread revivals....
time to get new tail lights...

Rubberman
06-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Add my Accord to list....

newfmp3
06-11-2010, 05:50 AM
add me to the list, driver side rear, and front passenger headlight

not more then 3000kms on car. 09 sedan.

!#$#%@$%

This happened on my Mazdaspeed 6 after about 3 years ownership. It will indeed bubble and then flake off and then rust.

How is this is not being checked by dealers before sale? Obviously a huge issue

Rubberman
07-09-2010, 05:47 AM
I was told by the dealer that Honda Canada say's it is from the person that installed the taillights installed them wrong.My Accord is going in next week to fix the paint issue.....I don't think that is the problem...the gap is too tight.

gentledental4u
08-23-2010, 07:48 PM
bump FTW

IrishCream06
08-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Ahhh....If its a little chip on the hood or bumper you're fine. A bit of touch up paint and you wont even notice it unless your actually being meticulous.

gentledental4u
08-23-2010, 11:13 PM
Hey I just went to Walmart and they sell a Duplicolor Touch Up paint kit..it has everything you need to fix chips and stuff except the specific paint..you can get at Honda Dealership..but Walmart does carry some honda paint colors...I saw Taffeta White, Nighthawk Black among others...did not find Polished Metal Metallic, so I got it from dealership.

It's only 14 bucks. :banana::banana::banana::banana:

mahjong007
08-24-2010, 01:02 AM
i had one ot those touchup pen/brush. its very messy. in my opinion it does not work too well. without the clear coat (which i didnt get), you might as well not do it at all, it looks like a different color part on it without the gloss. clear coat is a must if u want it to look almost prefect otherwise its a waste of money and time even if very little unless u just want to protect from rust. i had some scratches by some idiot, so i tried it, and its really not that noticeable unless u look close. so i guess it depends on how big or where it is located.

gentledental4u
08-24-2010, 12:38 PM
mahjong the kit comes with clearcoat so no wories!