Special directions for leaving car in garage for a month [Archive] - Drive Accord Honda Forums

: Special directions for leaving car in garage for a month

arasheht
07-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Any special directions on leaving the car in the garage for a month, or even over a month?? Disconnect the battery?

AznX TL
07-17-2008, 08:28 PM
i've left my car sitting for longer then a month.......everything fired right up when i started it.

Osiris_x11
07-17-2008, 09:17 PM
Unless you have some after-market alarm/immobilizer/Lo-Jack/stereo-setup/etc', you should be fine leaving the car idle for 1 month.

If you're concerned about returning to dead-battery, buy an economically priced battery tender.

Oh yea, hope you plan to park the car indoors/climate-controlled (ie. garage, storage, etc').

usmcpark
07-17-2008, 09:45 PM
ermm... I got a question, I have to leave my car outside... in a very hot place.. desert.. Sun comes in at all direction and I don't have tinted windows. It will sit there for quite some time... anyway this will damage my car/leather? I can't leave the window cracked open.

(Sorry OP, I didn't want to create a different thread)

MySilver_08
07-17-2008, 09:57 PM
ermm... I got a question, I have to leave my car outside... in a very hot place.. desert.. Sun comes in at all direction and I don't have tinted windows. It will sit there for quite some time... anyway this will damage my car/leather? I can't leave the window cracked open.

(Sorry OP, I didn't want to create a different tread)

Definitely, and if I were you, I'd get a sunshade for the interior, plus dashmat real quick! Oh, and make sure to have a coat of genuine carnuba paste wax!:paranoid:

Cannonball
07-18-2008, 12:01 AM
I left my car sit in my garage (un heated) all winter. I did use fogging oil in the tank and started it every month until it warmed up a bit. No problems at all.

kopimon
07-18-2008, 03:13 AM
I left my car sit in my garage (un heated) all winter. I did use fogging oil in the tank and started it every month until it warmed up a bit. No problems at all.

I thought you're not supposed to start your engine in cold temperatures just for the sake of running it because of the condensation it'll create

garthian84
07-18-2008, 05:29 AM
I had a 2003 Civic and I had to let it sit on an open lot in North Carolina for 7 months (September to April) when I got deployed. When I left, I didn't do anything special to it except lock the doors and it started up on the first try and I've never had any problems with it. I just sold it 2 months ago when I bought the new Accord. I think your car will be fine.

USAFRET
07-18-2008, 05:30 AM
Oh, and make sure to have a coat of genuine carnuba paste wax!:paranoid:

I disagree, Carnuba will evaporate, and I’d suggest a synthetic polish like Zaino. And personally I'd want a synthetic oil like Mobil 1 in my crankcase.

Tom

Cannonball
07-18-2008, 09:09 AM
I thought you're not supposed to start your engine in cold temperatures just for the sake of running it because of the condensation it'll create

oops.

My dad paid for it and he said to do it. Who am I to say no.

kopimon
07-18-2008, 09:10 AM
oops.

My dad paid for it and he said to do it. Who am I to say no.

hehe .. I never said it was a hard and fast rule .. that's just what I always thought .. I could very well be wrong

Osiris_x11
07-18-2008, 09:35 AM
ermm... I got a question, I have to leave my car outside. in a very hot place. desert...I'd recommend two different style of economically-priced car-covers to be used together!

First and foremost, make sure the covers fit well (excess slack will rub against the paint-finish if windy or w/ added weight of rain). Use extra bungee-cords w/ rubber/plastic hooks/fasteners to properly secure the covers if need-be!

Secondly, type of car-covers: the inner cover should be a soft, MF-like fitted dust-cover, the outer cover should be a synthetic weather-proof tarp-like fitted cover.

Have the car properly cleaned/dried and waxed/sealed before final installation of the covers.

I've done this in the past w/ great success... :cool:

usmcpark
07-18-2008, 10:56 AM
Do the covers have some sort of lock on em? I have a feeling people will either, rip the cover or take it. and.. a cover could cost some cash. 2 different style?

jbuffethed
07-19-2008, 07:04 AM
When I deployed, I put my car up on 4 stands, put Stabil in the tank and disconnected the battery. This was January in North Dakota, so we hit some pretty cold weather. Came home 4 months later, took it off the stands, hooked up the battery, read what I had to do special for the A/C and cranked it up. Started right up, no problems.

_JuztaJ_
07-19-2008, 07:13 AM
dont leave a empty gas tank.. always leave it full you dont want condensation to build up in there

arasheht
07-19-2008, 07:47 AM
dont leave a empty gas tank.. always leave it full you dont want condensation to build up in there

Is that really necessary? I'm afraid someone will suck it out of my tank when its in my underground parking.

Aviography
07-19-2008, 08:27 AM
No need to be overly paronoid with the full tank, there is no way for someone to know ahead of time if YOUR tank is full since the fuel level indicator returns to empty when the car is turned off (at least in the the 7th Gen they do), so if someone just randomly picked your car to siphon gas out of, there is nothing you could have done to PRVENT it from happening in the first place.

Your battery is still pretty new, and will easily last a month supplying the clock/radio memory etc., so really no need to disconnect the battery either.

I'd fill the fuel tank, pump up tire pressure to 40 psi to prevent flat spotting, and not worry about anthing else since it's only for a month.

pmcjr
07-19-2008, 09:33 AM

(Sorry OP, I didn't want to create a different thread)
I'd try very hard to borrow someone's garage space or rent a storage space big enough to drive the car into.

usmcpark
07-19-2008, 09:49 AM
dam is it really that bad? I know that even when the car is garaged the car inside, is really hot.. =/ I hate this lol.

usmcpark
07-21-2008, 03:57 PM
I will be visiting the lot tomorrow. Its not sheltered. The problem I am having is that in my garage, without seeing sun, it is still hot in the car. I get into the car and pull out the car and when I open the door, you can see heat waves. Now if this thing sees the sun, black on black with no tint, I feel like things are going to start melting... It might easily reach 100degrees in the car. I can't use a cover, for the fear of someone will take/rip it. Has anyone parked their car in the sun at 98degrees and not have any problems? Any advice for me? lol

Osiris_x11
07-21-2008, 06:11 PM
... the sun, black on black with no tint... It might easily reach 100degrees in the car.Wrong.

Try over ~150F degrees! :eek:

If you don't feel comfortable using car-cover(s) for long-term storage, then at least get some effective foil sun-shades for the windshield, rear-window, and door-windows. Use some double-sided sticky velcro to fasten them up so they don't fall down or shift over time.

That'll greatly reduce the interior temp's and prevent premature aging/fading of your relatively new interior!

G/luck! :cool:

kopimon
07-21-2008, 07:14 PM
You're worried that someone will tamper with your car cover .. isn't the lot you're parking in secured somehow?

arasheht
07-23-2008, 06:12 AM
Well, we'll see how the car will hold up. For now she is sitting peacefully in the garage, I'm hoping I don't get any door-dings from my a$$-hole neighbors. I'll let you all know how it went.

usmcpark
07-24-2008, 08:36 AM
Osiris_x11 : haha thanks! I got some foil sun shades. I didn't use it, I just came back last night from the parking lot. The car easily reached 150degrees, but the time I wanted to leave, the car sat around 90 by the time I left. The double-sided velcro is a great idea! I just don't know if I have the guts to stick it on my car :(.

kopimon: Nope, its not secure, the enforces will only issue tickets(have no front license plate, for not parking "head-in" or parking on the line- just the few I have heard) not stop people from ripping cover or other stuff to your car. I parked my car with a couple of DOD guys, hoping others will notice it, but then again if some anti DoD people decide to deface our cars... lol I guess I'll be stuck in it.